Who really is the starter? (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Thursday I watched the starting crew hold Paul Lee an absolute eternity while they tried to make their mind up about what to do about an car parked on the track. They made a bad decision, forced Lee to sit and burn off fuel and got lucky when Lee made it down the track without melting all of Jim Dunn's aluminum.

Then...on TV today I watched the starter motion to shut off Emperor Force. Of course he shined on the starter and made the run anyway, even though there was no way in hell they could have safely packed his daughter's chute.

Buster is kicking his barstool up there in heaven.

Thursday I watched the starting crew hold Paul Lee an absolute eternity while they tried to make their mind up about what to do about an car parked on the track. They made a bad decision, forced Lee to sit and burn off fuel and got lucky when Lee made it down the track without melting all of Jim Dunn's aluminum.

Then...on TV today I watched the starter motion to shut off Emperor Force. Of course he shined on the starter and made the run anyway, even though there was no way in hell they could have safely packed his daughter's chute.

Buster is kicking his barstool up there in heaven.

confusion can be dangerous.
I agree with what you said.

I wasn't standing right there, but if you watch Ashley's shutdown she only popped one chute.. I'd almost bet they left the chute string tied on the right one... But above all Stewart is a drama king, and really doesn't have any control over anyone..They just ignore him.....

I wasn't standing right there, but if you watch Ashley's shutdown she only popped one chute.. I'd almost bet they left the chute string tied on the right one... But above all Stewart is a drama king, and really doesn't have any control over anyone..They just ignore him.....

Actually, if you watch it again, both chutes came out. The one they repacked on the starting line didn't blossom because it landed right in the water on the starting line. Wet chutes don't work...

And in both instances -Steward actiavated the tree AFTER he told them to shut off! If he really didn't want them to run, he could walk out into the drivers line of site + set the button down--but he didn't. Dont blame John-don't blame Tony. I saw green lights on both runs.

I guess I'm still confused on the whole auto-start deal. I was under the impression that the tree is automatically ran after one driver stages, whether it's for an automatic red for someone who takes to long or the new "variable" timed green that they brought out last year. Yet, DK (Drama King) Stewart always throws his hand forward when the ambers flash. I'm assuming this just more of his drama??????

That being said, the folks in the tower (or whoever actually has control of the tree) are at fault for this and past issues because they could've turned on the flashing red lights and halted everything on the spot.

Sean D

And in both instances -Steward actiavated the tree AFTER he told them to shut off! If he really didn't want them to run, he could walk out into the drivers line of site + set the button down--but he didn't. Dont blame John-don't blame Tony. I saw green lights on both runs.
C'mon folks ... ease up. Rick does not have autonomous control of any area other than the immediate starting line. I am 100% sure Race control in the tower was in his ear telling him a car was stopped on the track and to hold the pair coming out of the water box. They may have even told him to shut them off. This is done just in case the starter has not seen the issue at hand over 1/2 mile away. Then Capp's car war was cleared from top end and the same race control person told him it was clear ... go ahead let them run.

You people just want to always blame somebody for something. Try spending a weekend on the line. Lot more goes on than you see wathcing TV or being involved with a single race car. Constant radio communication, people wandering around everywhere, 2 running race cars, etc. Crap happens !!

In the same context ... NOBODY other than the starter has "control" of the tree. The timing program is in the computer and is executed via the single or double throw of the switch on the box. The computer does control the sequence of events but it still is based on the actuation by the starter. The only thing the Tower has over riding power is that they can activate the REDS in case of a severe issue.

C'mon folks ... ease up. Rick does not have autonomous control of any area other than the immediate starting line. I am 100% sure Race control in the tower was in his ear telling him a car was stopped on the track and to hold the pair coming out of the water box. They may have even told him to shut them off. This is done just in case the starter has not seen the issue at hand over 1/2 mile away. Then Capp's car war was cleared from top end and the same race control person told him it was clear ... go ahead let them run.

You people just want to always blame somebody for something. Try spending a weekend on the line. Lot more goes on than you see wathing TV or being involved with a single race car. Constant radio communication, people wandering around everywhere, 2 running race cars, etc. Crap happens !!

In the same context ... NOBODY other than the starter has "control" of the tree. The timing program is in the computer and is executed via the single or double throw of the switch on the box. The computer does control the sequence of events but it still is based on the actuation by the starter. The only thing the Tower has over riding power is that they can activate the REDS in case of a severe issue.

I agree completely. There can be a lot of confusion on the line when things out of the ordinary occur, especially with all the crew members present. Shutting down a stocker is one thing, but shutting down a fuel car is something not taken lightly. I'm sure there was a lot of information (run, don't run) coming over the radio before that run. And I'm sure the entire issue was discussed after the race.

I guess I'm still confused on the whole auto-start deal. I was under the impression that the tree is automatically ran after one driver stages, whether it's for an automatic red for someone who takes to long or the new "variable" timed green that they brought out last year. Yet, DK (Drama King) Stewart always throws his hand forward when the ambers flash. I'm assuming this just more of his drama??????

That being said, the folks in the tower (or whoever actually has control of the tree) are at fault for this and past issues because they could've turned on the flashing red lights and halted everything on the spot.

Sean D

Stewart throwing his hand forward is pure dramatics. All he does is throw the switch when both cars have pre-staged (but it could be thrown, if desired, with just one car staged). After that, it's all automatic.

not sure if compujunk is the same as accutime but the tree can be activated from the tower, with autostart the starters main job is to make sure the lanes are clean and clear for each pair and to keep the race moving in a timly manner.

Stewart throwing his hand forward is pure dramatics. All he does is throw the switch when both cars have pre-staged (but it could be thrown, if desired, with just one car staged). After that, it's all automatic.

With how I understood auto-start to work, I kinda' figured as much. Thanks for clarifying it, John.

Sean D

not sure if compujunk is the same as accutime but the tree can be activated from the tower, with autostart the starters main job is to make sure the lanes are clean and clear for each pair and to keep the race moving in a timly manner.
That is not the case at all. Maybe the provision exists in Compulink ... but it is not ever, ever utilized at National or Divisional events. Starters primary job is still to observe cars/safety, then throw the switch once both Pre-Stage lights are "ON". Call it drama or whatever you want, but Rick still calls the shots on the line.

That is not the case at all. Maybe the provision exists in Compulink ... but it is not ever, ever utilized at National or Divisional events. Starters primary job is still to observe cars/safety, then throw the switch once both Pre-Stage lights are "ON". Call it drama or whatever you want, but Rick still calls the shots on the line.

Someone has to have the final authority at the starting line and that belongs to Stewart. Much bigger responsibility than many assume. If something goes wrong, guess who they will look to?

As a starter, when you throw the switch you are saying that the cars are safe to run and the track is safe to make that run. You better be right.

You people just want to always blame somebody for something. Try spending a weekend on the line. Lot more goes on than you see wathcing TV or being involved with a single race car. Constant radio communication, people wandering around everywhere, 2 running race cars, etc. Crap happens !!

Not to mention NHRA's commitment to the Official Sponsors of the NHRA on the side of the cars. If NHRA starts shutting off cars who bring money to our sport, it'll be that much harder for teams to lure sponsors in. We all want more exposure for our sport, but we also wanna yell and scream when Rick Stewart fails to shut a car down... a car in both examples listed herein that has MAJOR sponsorship money coming into the sport.

I thought given the two issues (Ashley's parachute & Capps trying to clear the top-end) that Rick did a pretty good job.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back