NHRA 2010 Finals - My first race in 20 years (1 Viewer)

Topfuel

Nitro Member
Hi Everyone,

I posted this over at competitionplus.com and KingNitro there suggested it would be fun to post here as well.

These were my "quick hit" thoughts that I posted fairly unfiltered a couple of weeks ago.

==========================================================
Hi Everyone,

I attended the NHRA Finals last weekend, my first drag race in 20 years! (I can't believe I can say that!) I attended the Northwest Nationals in Seattle in 1990.
I thought I would share a few observations from an "outsiders" point of view.

Here it goes:

1. Weather was awesome. Came back to Canada this week to 2 feet of snow!
2. People were extremely friendly and fun-loving. Had a great time!
3. The haulers! Holy crap have things changed. I remember in 1990 most of the big teams had a hauler and would sell t-shirts etc from a booth they setup nearby. Now John Force has 8 haulers for his team, plus his coach! Every major team has a hospitality trailer and area setup. Wow, what a difference.
4. Manufactures midway. Made the whole event a lot of fun although I prefer to just watch racing.
5. NITRO, NITRO, NITRO. Love the smell, sound and noise!
6. Still appreciate Pro Stock, wish they got more attention.
7. Pro Stock Motorcycle is insane!
8. For the love of everything good in the world, what is with electronics/throttle stop racing. (Super Gas and other classes?) That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Why in the world would you spend that much money on a car and have the electronics drive it? Perhaps someone can answer?
9. 1000 ft racing. Although I was disappointed hearing that the first time, when in person you really can't tell the difference. At the top end of the track they are going **** fast. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 310 and 325. The only confusing part is the ET's. I can't quite equate a good run from a great run but I'm guessing that comes with more observation.
10. Matt Hagan = class act. Spoke with him in the pits after round 2 on Sunday. What a great guy.
11. John Force = great champion. He'll never change!
12. A lot of holeshot wins and surprises in the first round. I've always loved the "razor's edge" between winning and losing.
13. Larry Dixon. What a blast to see him win it all. If I remember correctly back in the early 90's he was at the low end of the totem pole on the Snake's crew, washing parts, cleaning the car etc. Fantastic to see someone make their way up.
14. Sportsman classes. Always the backbone of NHRA. I was totally surprised by the big money trailers and coaches some had. Spent some time in the sportsman pits. What a bunch of great cars!
15. Photographers! My only pet peeve. Especially during the final rounds there were so many photographers lining the track you couldn't see the cars. Absolutely ridiculous. The NHRA should mandate they move back, or down the track and use the big ass telephoto lenses. The number of ladders, step ladders and such in the way, and photographers moving around was really distracting.
16. Small complaint. On Sunday sitting on the west side of the track (awesome seats) there is no big screen viewable near the starting line. There was also scaffolding blocking the right lane scoreboard at the top end.
17. Cool to see Lee Beard, Bernie Fedderly, Austin Coil, Ed McCulloch, Allan Johnson, Jimmy Prock, Jim Dunn and Connie Kalitta still at it. Just learned that Kim Lahaie married Tim Richards. ack!
18. Still love the alcohol cars. The blown alcohol vs injected nitro spec is a pain to follow.
19. Was curious how tough Rick Stewart is as Chief Starter compared to Buster Couch. (I assume there is no comparison?)
20. Surprised by the big family money involved. (Lucas Oil, Jegs, DSR, and in the near future Patron Tequila)
21. The Greek! Chris Karamesines is the man! I remember talking to him in 1990 and thought he must be at the end of his career. He's still going!!! I was really hoping he would make the field. He was only .05 seconds away from 16th.

I'm definitely back into drag racing! Looking forward to great off-season bench racing!

Oh yea! One more thing. 20 years ago, no internet. Now I had live timing and scoring on my iphone! **** that is fun. Plus the amount of information available online is incredible. I've been able to catch up on the story lines, driver changes, crew chiefs, where are they now etc! Back in the day National Dragster was the only way to keep up to date.

Dean (Still using the Topfuel handle all these years online.)

#9... add .70 to E.T. I fine that's a good rule of thumb.... On Hight's 4.63 at Phoenix, 2006, the car ran 3.955 at the 1000 foot mark.... 4 flat is appox 4.67.

thanks for posting and welcome to the 'Mater...:D

d'kid

Dean, #9 yes soon you'll know the 1,000ft ET's, doesn't take long.
#15 photogs, yes big problem. Bad enough they put a 3ft high cement wall track side that hide the cars, then they let 40 or so guys stand right next to that wall blocking yer view. Then wonder why they can't fill the seats.

#8) Overall I can't stand to watch throttle stop racing, but the driver of the car in my avatar (a comp F/ED) runs super comp and watching his super comp car on the race weekends where he is running both has given me an appreciation of how difficult a class it is to run.

A couple of the fine folks over at competitionplus.com gave me some insight into the class. Still not sure it is my thing, but man the cars are awesome. I just wish we could see some of them run heads up.

Interesting tech and it seems to provide some "adjustability" to the cars but strange to watch.

Sure is nice having the internet to "bench race" now!
Topfuel

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back