Photographers at NHRA events (1 Viewer)

I understand the frustration for fans but photographers are there for various entities from local news coverage to website's that promote the sport.
There strict enforcement of all photographers as what they can and can't do.
Of coarse ND photographers they are allowed to shoot in areas off limits to the rest but it's understood that the are working directly for NHRA and shoot for their publication for all NHRA membership.
They can shoot in the starters area which is a no no for the others and I'm fine with that.
No ladders is a good move I rarely used mine which NHRA has rules pertaining to there use. It can be no more than three steps high and all are limited to how far down they can photograph from.
All of them adhere to the rules of coarse some of them occasionally don't but trust me they get put in their place by all the others. It's hard work they aren't down there for simply watching the event. Most have deadlines and the media tower is hectic during end of session periods. Since NHRA reduced the turn around period it definitely didn't make their jobs any easier.

image.jpg
Could it be because of this crash at the March Meet a few weeks ago?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 9
No, photographers on ladders get in the way of Fox Sports cameras.

I don't think that's the case. After watching so many of the events especially ESPN2 I never seen any photographer blocking the networks cameras.
I think it's more for the fans. Either way photographers are promoting the sport and are a necessity. They are at every type of sporting event.

I don't think that's the case. After watching so many of the events especially ESPN2 I never seen any photographer blocking the networks cameras.
I think it's more for the fans. Either way photographers are promoting the sport and are a necessity. They are at every type of sporting event.
Bob, I read the memo today, (yes, there's a memo,) and this is all for FS1. Fortunately, this didn't get implemented until the Gators, so I don't have to worry about it for another year. It also includes shooting on one side of the track only, due to the cameras which will be set up for the best lighting for fuel, and will put us where we normally wouldn't shoot in the backlight. North/South tracks will suck, East/West will be workable. There's a little more to this; but, you get the idea.

Chris I agree, I usually and plan on, shooting Sonoma which is a South North based track.
Back lighting is difficult but we will just have to work with it. Just like when they stopped the use of flashing.
I really don't understand their logic but maybe they don't have the boom equipment like ESPN.
It's just another work around that photog's are going to have to deal with I guess.
I know FS1 is just started covering NHRA events but there are a lot of complaints on how they are doing it.
Most of their video equipment isn't set up around the starting line anyway.
They need to change their format, no burnouts, lots of filler segments that the average fan doesn't care about. You get the idea.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back