Photographers at NHRA events (1 Viewer)

MHayes

Staff member
Nitro Member
Mark Rebilas posted last night on Facebook that NHRA Media is banning photographers from using ladders at all future NHRA events. I have to say, I love this because those guys always get in the way of a great picture!

Nice move NHRA!

Why not allow ladders at the less attended qualifying sessions like Saturday. Being someone who has shot from the stands most of my adult life I sympathize with fans, but still enjoy different angles from the Pro photographers. Really miss the low angle under the guardrail shots from back in the day.

they should allow drones.....could get sum really cool shots i would think.....even mount one of those remote cameras to one
for the tv show.....watch it wobble as the cars pass and hot exhaust hits it.

they should allow drones.....could get sum really cool shots i would think.....even mount one of those remote cameras to one
And the first time one gets sucked into a blower?

Why not allow ladders at the less attended qualifying sessions like Saturday. Being someone who has shot from the stands most of my adult life I sympathize with fans, but still enjoy different angles from the Pro photographers. Really miss the low angle under the guardrail shots from back in the day.
Because they're not racing during qualifying, so the focus on Friday and Saturday is usually individual shots and you don't normally need ladders for that. Realize, these changes were for the benefit of Fox Sports and TV coverage...

They would do more than wobble when the fuel cars blew by! I like the concept as a TV spectator but this is an arena that would be too hazardous for that type of lightweight equipment. I could easily see one getting blown into the spectator area by a Funny Car or wandering into the racing line. And of course the first time someones chute deploys unexpectedly you know what will be suggested, in spite of the 50,000 other transmitters on the property...
That said I saw one or more buzzing around on some footage from Lights Out. Don't know if they had media passes or not :)

What happen to the guy that had a remote blimp at Phoenix race a few years ago, he was getting some real good shots.

slightly off subject but...I see dozens of photographers with "MEDIA" vests on at the events, what media outlets are all these people taking pictures for? They can't all be working for National Dragster can they?

Mark Rebilas posted last night on Facebook that NHRA Media is banning photographers from using ladders at all future NHRA events. I have to say, I love this because those guys always get in the way of a great picture!

Nice move NHRA!
Agreed.
But...
What about stilts? Can they be on stilts? Like Randy Johnson. LOL
NHRA_fff24481.jpg

slightly off subject but...I see dozens of photographers with "MEDIA" vests on at the events, what media outlets are all these people taking pictures for? They can't all be working for National Dragster can they?
I know, right? Same at Bakersfield for the March Meet and reunion. I would love to see the medias where all these pics show up.

Mark also mentioned that NHRA is also going to reduce the amount of credentialed photographers on the starting line as well. I'm guessing that a lot of the photographers you see are freelance sports photographers that are either trying to sell their shots to other media outlets or satisfying client commitments. For example, a lot of Mark's work shows up in various publications, and he also has Toyota as a client.

Mark also mentioned that NHRA is also going to reduce the amount of credentialed photographers on the starting line as well. I'm guessing that a lot of the photographers you see are freelance sports photographers that are either trying to sell their shots to other media outlets or satisfying client commitments. For example, a lot of Mark's work shows up in various publications, and he also has Toyota as a client.

Reduce the amount.......That's the best this I've heard in quite while. For my money they should ban ALL trackside photogs. But at least this is a small step in the right direction. Long overdue (imo)

"For my money they should ban ALL trackside photogs."

Paul, before it were to get worse than this?

Mark, love your work. Have you had any close incidents?

There are no freelancers, says so right on the credentials and everywhere else you can find NHRA media info, and also that NHRA reserves the right to determine who/what is a "media outlet". Everyone shooting is shooting for some other party, whether it's Comp Plus, Bang Shift, DRO, etc., or shooting because it serves a purpose for NHRA, re: Randy Johnson.

certain tracks can't use drones because it's the law like RP is in close radius to an operating airport and NJ State law states no Drones within a certain radius of a functioning airport.

NHRA Media is banning photographers from using ladders at all future NHRA events.

They (NHRA) did this on several occasions in the past EXCEPT it didn't apply to the National Dragster photogs. I'm sure that applies to this most recent permutation of this "rule".
They still, and will continue to, get in the way.

I was lambasted once for having my elbow on the Jersey barrier by ND photog Mark, and he spent several runs leaning on it. Pissed me off.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back