Gilby News (1 Viewer)

DragFan2

Nitro Member
Hey Maters, (those that care)

I don't know how many of you caught this news release on Nitromater's front page, but I thought some of you might find it of interest. Especially one of Bob Gilbertson's comments about NHRA. He knows how to stir the pot doesn't he? The link to the piece is here and it's neat to see that he is going to run all of the events on the IHRA circuit, skipping a few on the NHRA side, but apparently putting someone else in the driver's seat at the conflicting NHRA events so his car is at all 23 NHRA events. How he is managing to pull this off is amazing to me. Neat comments about how the IHRA events feel more like the old days of drag racing where the little guy (one car teams now) still have a chance to win a championship. Gotta respect him for putting his own money and big heart into what he loves. Go Gilby. Peanut better watch out!

PS: For those that don't or won't check out the link above, here is what he stated:

“It’s such a night and day difference,” he said about running the different sanctioning bodies. “NHRA doesn’t promote single-car teams at all. Heck, they couldn’t care less if I even show up to race. IHRA is like drag racing used to be and we love it. We had so much fun last year and, with this team, that’s what it’s all about.”

Gilbertson has committed to running the full 2007 IHRA schedule next season and is in the process of designing an IHRA-specific body to run this season, and he said when he is ready to release renderings everyone will be in for a “big surprise.”

Gilbertson has two goals in mind…to win the world championship and have a lot of fun while making the attempt.

“The IHRA championship is what we’re shooting for, but we’re going to have a good time along the way,” he said. “Those two goals go together. There are a couple of conflicting events, but we’ll find a driver to run the other car because there are plenty of capable drivers always willing to step in and fill in. It should be interesting.”

How do the body rules differ from NHRA to IHRA? Does IHRA allow more aero and downforce?

How do the body rules differ from NHRA to IHRA? Does IHRA allow more aero and downforce?

I wondered what he meant by that too. Todd may be right in that he might just have meant a different paint scheme for the IHRA car. Seems odd though as you would think he would want to be able to use it as a spare body for the NHRA races. I guess we'll soon know what was meant.

Probably a new paint job on a second body.. but i am more curious on his NHRA commint... and to see how NHRa handels the "lesser teasms" once the point bump come into play... since they pay to be on tv and are catching so much heat from the new points structure.. will they promote ALL the teams that are running.. or will they concentrate on the teams that make the cut....

Gilby never hit me as one to care what the NHRA or IHRA thinks.. only the fans..... he realy goes all out for the crowd around his pits... entertaining them and givign them something to talk about any way....

Billy

I think what they meant was that there will be 2 different bodies as in 2 different paint jobs.

Right Todd. I just spoke with Bobby D and he said that John Bell, who designed the Jungle Jim tribute body, is coming up with a special design for the IHRA only body.

Based on John Bell's past paint schemes, I'm really excited to see what this IHRA body will look like.

Here's a hint.... it will have a nostalgia theme. ;)

Jackee, I knew you would get to the bottom of this. ;) Not many of us have a direct pipeline to BD/SJ although I do have his e-mail address. Thanks for checking into this for us.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back