20 years ago today... (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
It's hard to believe it's been 20 years since the first 4 second run. I was writing out the date this morning and it hit me that it's been 20 years since Eddie Hill's 4.99 at the Motorplex.

Goodness I am getting old ... I was in 8th grade when it happened ... most people forget it was at an IHRA sanctioned race ... and I miss Eddie Hill.

Wasn't he the quickest man in the quarter mile on land and water concurrently?

Geez, doesn't seem like it's been that long at all. 20 years ago I was a junior in HS. I still miss seeing Eddie and Ercie out there running.

At first I was gonna play along and say " Sgt. Pepper told his band to Play!" But I saw the thread, yes it's hard to believe it's been 20 years!

I'll NEVER forget that pass.

And I'm still laughing at my Dad and Uncle for going to grab a beer when it happened. At least they saw the scoreboard from the car. :D

Probably be in the 3's by now if not for all the rule changes.

Is anybody still keeping count how many 4 second runs there have been? LOL

I was 8 when it happened. And yes, he was the quickest man on land and water at the same time.

A little known fact..he was the first to run a 4 second pass with a 2-speed transmission and then he ran a 4 at Houston later that year with the high gear direct drive setup.

was it only 20 years ago? I love it, took about 25 years to drop from 6.99 to 4.99, and about 12 years to drop from 4.99 to 4.49. and there we sit.

Remember the rivalry between the NHRA and Billy Meyer's IHRA was raging at the time. The NHRA kept it low-key, ND reporting the run but not recognising the Motorplex, saying it occured "at a track just outside of Dallas"?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back