First race in 15 years !! (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
Had an awesome time, Houston has gotta have the best GA seats on the schedule with parking right behind the seats and all within the ‘meaty’ part of the track. Darn shame that was the last race there. Great crowd and the racing was great and I thought I was gonna hate the shortened 1000 foot track but it wasn’t bad at all. Took a couple of newbies with me and they enjoyed it (a couple of earplug purchases saved the day). Also an apparent dropped cylinder, during a JR Todd warm up, in the pits, introduced them to the traditional nitro intoxication (I myself loved it!) It definitely wont be another 15 years before I revisit!

James, go to the Plex. That is a great track. If you like 1/8 mile, Xtreme Raceway Park (S of Dallas) is also a great track).

Had an awesome time, Houston has gotta have the best GA seats on the schedule with parking right behind the seats and all within the ‘meaty’ part of the track. Darn shame that was the last race there. Great crowd and the racing was great and I thought I was gonna hate the shortened 1000 foot track but it wasn’t bad at all. Took a couple of newbies with me and they enjoyed it (a couple of earplug purchases saved the day). Also an apparent dropped cylinder, during a JR Todd warm up, in the pits, introduced them to the traditional nitro intoxication (I myself loved it!) It definitely wont be another 15 years before I revisit!
Just curious why it has been 15 years since your last race? Glad you enjoyed it.

Just curious why it has been 15 years since your last race? Glad you enjoyed it.
a combination of things, the most being, of the group of guys I would often go with, i was the youngest and i'm in my late fifties now, so needless to say, they are either gone now or not in any condition to endure a full race day and travel. I’m hesitant to invite new people to a national event because I feel like, unless you are really into the sport, all of the travel, the long lines, the long race day etc will eventually bore them!. The people I took to this race, lived very close to the track and was curious to see what all the noise and commotion was about all these years. Also when you’re serving as host, you have to kinda be in 'guest mode', at the races (arrive late, leave early, miss a few rounds etc.) When I’m with someone who’s also into to it, similar to myself, I will visit every pit and watch every class, every round from nitro to stock eliminator

there's something to be said about a simple track design that allows the convenience of close spectator parking on one side of track.
probably same reason parking fees were implemented. for every cold beer in the cooler in the car, there's lost beverage sales for the track.

a combination of things, the most being, of the group of guys I would often go with, i was the youngest and i'm in my late fifties now, so needless to say, they are either gone now or not in any condition to endure a full race day and travel. I’m hesitant to invite new people to a national event because I feel like, unless you are really into the sport, all of the travel, the long lines, the long race day etc will eventually bore them!. The people I took to this race, lived very close to the track and was curious to see what all the noise and commotion was about all these years. Also when you’re serving as host, you have to kinda be in 'guest mode', at the races (arrive late, leave early, miss a few rounds etc.) When I’m with someone who’s also into to it, similar to myself, I will visit every pit and watch every class, every round from nitro to stock eliminator
James, you sound so much like me. When you host newbies, you never know whether they will get into it like you do. Sometimes it is best to just go alone, and run into like-minded people you don't know. I have made a few good drag racing friends that way over the years.

James, you sound so much like me. When you host newbies, you never know whether they will get into it like you do. Sometimes it is best to just go alone, and run into like-minded people you don't know. I have made a few good drag racing friends that way over the years.
years ago, i invited a lady friend, to an NHRA event and to my chagrin, she spent the vast majority of the race, sleeping in the car. I felt bad because she was bored, but i felt even worse, because i basically threw a way a couple a hundred bucks on the whole ordeal :( . . . . . thinking back, i shoulda just stayed in town and caught a movie instead :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back