Bobby Bennett: Please, somebody do something (1 Viewer)

There was something said in that article which I have been thinking for a long time . I know someone will come back at me saying this and say "But where would the racers go?" but if anyone is reading this Don Schumacher if you are listening let the NHRA know that you guys and all the other teams in all the classes have the real power , without the racers there is no NHRA drag racing there is no show . Flip Boycot if you have to just don't show up and if the NHRA threatens to fine then let them mouth of their threats because it still wont help do them any good because if no teams show up to race all they will have is thousands of angry race fans . The racers have the real power

All Accurate and Excellent Points!!!

...I cant wait for "Alan" to respond, defending those money grubbing, kick-back hungry, gougers he rolls with...:p

Oh ya...Hey Alan, tell us the Rockstar/Monster Energy story again...I LUV the way you tell it...;)

Last edited:
Yes they do.....they just don't know it.

they know it but with sponsorships and 10-12 employees on payroll for each team it's complicated......you can't just stop racing

You start boycotting races then the sponsors stop writing checks cause they aren't getting the exposure they pay for.....then payday comes and you're pocket book takes a massive hit cause you're not getting the income you're used too.....its a whole cycle

Maybe the Teams need to plan for a boycott. Plan to only race 23 of the 24 events. Choose the race that has the most people in attendance and skip that race. Then the teams would have an advantage maybe???

MM knows of which he speaks Paul... It's not as easy as teams just "forgetting" to pull into the pits at Firebird or worse, calling a strike.

Huge error to consider it IMO

BTW- I don't agree with anything Bobby has to recommend in the article...

(Cutting Indy down? PLEASE!!!!)

Last edited:
It's like playing a game of Jenga....you gotta know which piece to remove and when to remove it or else it all comes tumbling down

It's like playing a game of Jenga....you gotta know which piece to remove and when to remove it or else it all comes tumbling down

An apt description Mike.

You give control to a sponsor for $ and you've lost part of your control either implicit or explicit control.

The more sponsors you collect, the less control you have and the more people you have to answer to.

If the teams wanted to strike and boycot then why would the sponsors pack a hissy fit , if you told them first they might understand because in the long run its to make things better for the racers and the sport , sort of like how employees have unions support when they strike in normal jobs .

i understand where you are coming from William, but the bottom line (to the sponsors) is that they give a team a certain amount of money per race to be promote their brand....and then the team is associated with something as negative as a boycott (whether its right or wrong is irrelevant....the term boycott has a very nasty association to it as far as the fans see it) then all of the sudden the brand is also associated with it.....like i said, it's a real catch-22 and it's just not as simple as saying "We're not gonna race here"

these guys can't agree on a spec chassis and you think they would all agree to a boycott?

I'm pretty sure NHRA is far more aware of what's going on than Bobby thinks, having said that NHRA is NOT going to Axe 6 races 5 weeks before Pomona!

As for reducing qualifying to one day, that will save me a Ton of Cash since there won't be any reason to go on Fridays. But.....as I've said about 3 different times on various threads, I'm willing to wait and see if only 9-10 Dragsters show up at Pomona! Until that happens I'm not going to toy with Jumping off Hoover Dam anytime soon! :eek:

these guys can't agree on a spec chassis and you think they would all agree to a boycott?

Yeah but thats different with the chassis thing the term "more then one way to skin a cat" comes into it where as with this every team is facing the same problem where as with the chassis issue it was only a few teams having an issue . The problem with the chassis issue was that each crew chief have their own way of doing things which may all do the same thing but in different ways , There is an interview with Austin Coil and Mark Oswald on 1320TV which goes into detail on the pros and cons of the spec issue but thats not what this thread is about so I will not go into detail .

and i am sure that all the teams feel there is more than one way to address the issues that Bobby brings up in his article....PRO is the real issue here to me as they havent exactly been taking action either....remember they are the ones that are supposed to be the racers "union" and they need to start acting like it

they know it but with sponsorships and 10-12 employees on payroll for each team it's complicated......you can't just stop racing

You start boycotting races then the sponsors stop writing checks cause they aren't getting the exposure they pay for.....then payday comes and you're pocket book takes a massive hit cause you're not getting the income you're used too.....its a whole cycle

Ah, the voice of reason! More sense made in this brief post than from anyone else in racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back