Big Top End Crash between John Force and Jonnie Lindberg (1 Viewer)

God Bless the fans, we wouldn't have a sport without them........... but showing ignorance of the sport you love on the internet, means you need to learn more !
I've counted about 4 guys in this thread that understand this stuff, it's dealing with thousandths of a second ! Please watch again, the end of above noted youtube video with finger on stop button, pausing many times to see what John is attempting to do. Start at 2:42 when his hands fly off the steering wheel, many pauses later, you will see him try to grab it again, but only the left front wheel is touching.....then the camera hits the scoreboard.
Earlier, Jonnie is trying to fight his way out of something far stronger than a brown paper bag that he can't see out of......no wonder he's pissed !

after watching the first couple rounds (and losing Pick The Winner with all the upsets) I would be seriously reconsidering going back to this POS track.....what a dangerous, rough, expensive weekend this is going to end up being for lots of teams...
The only great run was the two Torrences

(edit- and Courtney saving the day for Team Force and breaking her 43 race winless streak)

Please explain to me what is wrong with the track. Schumacher and Millican both ran faster than the the speed record and Track records were set in both fuel classes as well. If that track sucks so bad, why did so many teams stay to test today?
Alan

FS1 view of the crash:

Was there any real need for Jonnie Lindberg to stomp around like an angry 2 year old after getting out of his car? Glad both are alright at the very least. We were watching it on All Access, we were worried about how long it took for them to announce the drivers' condition.

If I'm the one holding the microphone (and I was yesterday) you are not going to hear anything about a driver's condition until I know for damn sure what I'm saying are the facts. And if it takes a few minutes then it takes a few minutes. I have seen enough misinformation get passed along over the years to know better. If you ever want to get really chewed out, be part of my team and after a crash say something like "I'm sure he's OK" before you know it for a fact.

I know it seems like a long time, but being correct is WAY more important than being fast and wrong.

Alan

This might be a dumb question but do these racers have any type of on-track insurance for crashes? Would Force pay for Head's car or is this just the "cost of racing"?
Cost of racing, and I can only imagine how furious Head was watching his car get destroyed.

Sam,

Not picking on you, but I hear that a lot so I just borrowed it for the quote. There have been far to many instances where an announcer would report that a driver was OK only to find later that the driver was really not OK. So I always wait until I have as much information as possible before I go public. I know that sometimes it seems like a long time, but I want people to know that if Reinhart said it, it was correct.

See you and your dad in a couple of weeks,
Alan

" I believe he ran into Force unnecessarily "
That might be the dumbest statement i have ever heard. You ever even sat in a funny car? You cant see anything out of the side, They sure as hell don't stop on a dime and they don't actually steer like your daily driver. Lets see. I'm cruising along at a pretty good clip, I have absolutely no desire to protect my life. I'm just going to crash into they guy wrecking in front of me. Why the F not. And while I'm at it I'll just ruin my bosses $200,000 dollar race car.
Gotta agree, dumbest post ever.

John Force Interview tomorrow
Set those
23f0.png
!
This is one interview you won’t want to miss! @JohnForce_FC will join us TOMORROW on Facebook LIVE at 12:30p ET! http://facebook.com/nhra

I have a few bets to make if anyone on here wants to make them, and Ive been away from the track for a few years...so I may be wrong...but lets see whos ready to put their money where their mouth is...

1. Noticed Robert said that Heads chassis is a JFR after the crash...bet any and all here 5 bucks to ALL takers jfr replaces it if jim wants one, free of charge...i bet they throw in the mounting of a new body for free

2. Another 5 bucks to all takers, john himself says hes sorry, apologizes to jonnie and mr head in a public manner, even if he qualifies it as a racing incident...which, unless youre a keyboard crewchief, it clearly was

3. Jonnie was clearly shaken by the incident, hes a fierce competitor, got blindsided at best, didnt really have any evasive manuvers to choose from at worst, and after a scary series of events, had to crawl out from under his own parachute after being drug around at 200 or so mph in the shutdown area...most people i know flip a mad middle finger after being cut off during the morning commute...give the kid a break, i doubt he didnt care if force was safe

Finally...yeah, we need to slow them down, but jfr hasnt been the only one leveling engines this year...capps, doug, tommy, antron, and quite a few more have also...hell, billy disentegrated an injector on a winning run, jesus, give schaffer a break...my word people...its nitro racing, not shuffle board...pm me for bets sheesh

Please explain to me what is wrong with the track. Schumacher and Millican both ran faster than the the speed record and Track records were set in both fuel classes as well. If that track sucks so bad, why did so many teams stay to test today?
Alan

Ya gotta realize that was typed during the heat of the moment, when I wasn't enjoying all the tire smoke round after round, all the top drivers going home early because the track surface seemed to be less than stellar, and when the top end camera shows the cracked pavement with all the crack sealer on it like a NJ parking lot, I thought maybe this track should have been re-paved before getting a major NHRA race....

Same with all the disagreements here (some quite nasty to a JFR fan worried about his condition) against my perception at the time that Jonnie could have avoided Force....going by the live feed is hard until you can see the replay,look at the numbers and analyze it better....

They were closer than it looked on TV...

Lane Driver Q. Pos. RT 60 FT 330 FT 660 FT 660 FT MPH ET MPH

Left John Force WIN 4 .087 .922 2.345 3.314 261.88 4.139 278.75
Right Jonnie Lindberg 5 .131 .885 2.564 3.663 241.76 4.129 --

but hey,at least I wasn't on here blasting the track prep crews like has been the case time and time again....they have a hard job to do and those no-prep guys know what they are missing!

Glad to see that the outcome isn't anything that can't be fixed.. was watching and following.. not posting, or trying to act smart.. best wishes to those involved.

Same with all the disagreements here (some quite nasty to a JFR fan worried about his condition) against my perception at the time that Jonnie could have avoided Force....going by the live feed is hard until you can see the replay,look at the numbers and analyze it better....

They were closer than it looked on TV...

The times make it appear they were close but parts from Force's explosion tripped Jonnie's timers.

I wonder what Jim Heads thoughts are on this????? I remember in an interview with him after he left driving, he said as an owner if he ever felt he was going to be responsible for someone getting hurt he would call it quits. He feels the cars are getting out of control. Also at this point does he want to come off of $100,000 ++ dollars and start over, apparently they do not have a back up car at this time.
He also stated his vacation home in the Caribbean was badly damaged from the last 2 hurricanes and having to rebuild was an unexpected expense.

Umm..... there are many people commenting on that video and in forums on Lindberg's perceived lack of sportmanship.

I caught the re broadcast of the race last night and I will only have some comments to give. The guy almost got killed and people are worried about his perceived sportsmanship. Who to say what he did or say to whomever before or after the pit interview away from the camera.

Secondly, he's most likely paying to drive Jim Head's car and was wondering if he had to pony up more money for something that was not his fault. Personally (and I think this goes for many other racers) if I wrecked someone else car, I would work to make them whole again before rebuilding my own car. I'm sure Force will do the same.

My only other comment is with multiple cylinders out (freeze-frame the video) Force's engine had to be running sour and he stayed with it too long. You can only compress a liquid so much before it becomes too much pressure and somethings gotta give. Hence the explosion.

I just saw the John Force interview on Facebook live, and he said they're waiting on Head's chassis and they're going to front half it for him. He also said Jim Head told him they have plenty of Toyota bodies. John will be using a back up car and the chassis shop's priority will be repairing Head's car. With 3 weeks until Gainesville, they should have plenty of time.

I just saw the John Force interview on Facebook live, and he said they're waiting on Head's chassis and they're going to front half it for him. He also said Jim Head told him they have plenty of Toyota bodies. John will be using a back up car and the chassis shop's priority will be repairing Head's car. With 3 weeks until Gainesville, they should have plenty of time.

Yes they are fixing it for him, it is a JFR chassis also.

I caught the re broadcast of the race last night and I will only have some comments to give. The guy almost got killed and people are worried about his perceived sportsmanship. Who to say what he did or say to whomever before or after the pit interview away from the camera.

Secondly, he's most likely paying to drive Jim Head's car and was wondering if he had to pony up more money for something that was not his fault. Personally (and I think this goes for many other racers) if I wrecked someone else car, I would work to make them whole again before rebuilding my own car. I'm sure Force will do the same.

My only other comment is with multiple cylinders out (freeze-frame the video) Force's engine had to be running sour and he stayed with it too long. You can only compress a liquid so much before it becomes too much pressure and somethings gotta give. Hence the explosion.

Agree

I believe Jonnie is a paid driver

never lift in a race, run it until the end or boom

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back