Austin Coil article (1 Viewer)

Coil always seemed like the level headed genius, while Force was always amped up on adrenalin and chasing success. Classic partnership in its day. Great read, and I don't doubt Coil's side of the story for a second. He'd achieved a hell of a lot at JFR and bowed out at the right time on his own terms.

I had the pleasure of working for Coil for a brief time on the Hustler when Russell Long drove. I wasn't around when this happened but, He never tells the story of the Titanium domed pistons. Seems the car kept burning pistons and he wanted to fix it so he built Titanium domed pistons, Well the car exploded a motor, and I mean EXPLODED but the the pistons looked like new. He said the pressure of a burnt piston had to go somewhere. I did see the ingot of titanium at the garage though!. Great Crew Chief & Innovator

Great article. I have seen all of the Hustlers run. On the first Hustler at Edgewater Park near Cincy in, I think, the spring of '68 I asked Coil why he ran stock unported 426 iron heads. I was expecting ported maybe welded tricked out heads. Coil said "I've still got pulleys if I need em". Years later he took a set of pistons and milled and threaded the tops. Then he made screw on titanium caps for them. The intent was top stop burning pistons which cost $$$. Instead the design trashed a set of aluminum heads burning out a LOT of aluminum. It tells you a little about how Coil thought through how to beat obstacles. Had not seen John Farr's post when I wrote this. Where you working there when the T piston project happened John?

Excellent read; thanks for posting it Robert.

Oh, what a treat it would be for Bobby Bennett to add a Coil segment to his fantastic Legends the Series interviews.

Great article. I have seen all of the Hustlers run. On the first Hustler at Edgewater Park near Cincy in, I think, the spring of '68 I asked Coil why he ran stock unported 426 iron heads. I was expecting ported maybe welded tricked out heads. Coil said "I've still got pulleys if I need em". Years later he took a set of pistons and milled and threaded the tops. Then he made screw on titanium caps for them. The intent was top stop burning pistons which cost $$$. Instead the design trashed a set of aluminum heads burning out a LOT of aluminum. It tells you a little about how Coil thought through how to beat obstacles. Had not seen John Farr's post when I wrote this. Where you working there when the T piston project happened John?

No, Just heard about it from Russell

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back