Coil Speaks (1 Viewer)

Terry, I kinda agree with you-although I feel bad for doing so. :( Another thing I thought-hes never gonna be "family"-and top spot positions in JFR seem to be going to folks that are.
I'm sad-wish there were still buddies-i could just hear the stories with them sitting around a campfire...

There is no doubt about Austin's contribution to the sport. There is also no doubt that without Austin that John Force would not have won all the championships he has. The interview was great, good to hear his ideas.
I do have a problem with his attitude toward Force. All the time he was working for Force he was being very highly paid. He was never a partner, always an employee. He and John obviously had been very good friends but when it comes down to business operations the call is all John's. Austin never had a financial interest, except being paid, in JFR.
When Force felt he needed to make changes the decision was his, he is the owner, and that's what all his employees had to live with.
Obviously Austin did not agree with the changes and he decided to leave JFR. That was his decision. It's like all other business' when the owner decides to make changes then you either go along with them or move on. That is what he did. He obviously felt he had more influence in JFR than he did.
I wish Austin all the best but I think his attitude toward Force stinks. Austin would not be in the financial position he is today without his employment with JFR.
I know this is going to rile up some people but it's what it is.....when you are the owner you run the business and make changes you feel are required and as an employee you either go along with them or leave.

Force wouldn't be where he is..........................................................

There is no doubt about Austin's contribution to the sport. There is also no doubt that without Austin that John Force would not have won all the championships he has. The interview was great, good to hear his ideas.
I do have a problem with his attitude toward Force. All the time he was working for Force he was being very highly paid. He was never a partner, always an employee. He and John obviously had been very good friends but when it comes down to business operations the call is all John's. Austin never had a financial interest, except being paid, in JFR.
When Force felt he needed to make changes the decision was his, he is the owner, and that's what all his employees had to live with.
Obviously Austin did not agree with the changes and he decided to leave JFR. That was his decision. It's like all other business' when the owner decides to make changes then you either go along with them or move on. That is what he did. He obviously felt he had more influence in JFR than he did.
I wish Austin all the best but I think his attitude toward Force stinks. Austin would not be in the financial position he is today without his employment with JFR.
I know this is going to rile up some people but it's what it is.....when you are the owner you run the business and make changes you feel are required and as an employee you either go along with them or leave.

And how do you know that Coil didn't have any financial interest in the company? I know for a fact that in the past Coil and Fedderly helped John with money issues. Especially when they were starting out. I agree in part with Coil's decision. Somethings are more important (friendships) than business decisions sometimes. That is why I am AMAZED that John Medlen is back with JFR also. And as far as being highly paid, there are other tuners who have been paid WAY more than any crew chief for JFR (Alan Johnson for one).

Last edited:
I would bet that Alan Johnson was the only CC to be paid more than coil was.

Fedderly did not become part of the Force deal until joh was already very wealthy. That is why Fedderly became part of the team. John had the money to pay Bernie.

I think the younger crew chiefs became a more intregal part of the team because of the young minds and Coil got his feelings hurt as his role deminished

Dean

I would bet that Alan Johnson was the only CC to be paid more than coil was.

Fedderly did not become part of the Force deal until joh was already very wealthy. That is why Fedderly became part of the team. John had the money to pay Bernie.

I think the younger crew chiefs became a more intregal part of the team because of the young minds and Coil got his feelings hurt as his role deminished

Dean

Coil got his "feelings hurt" because Force cut his pay big time. Same with Medlen. What Coil is referring to is he didn't think it was cool that he and crew members were getting their pay cut while Force and family's life style remained unchanged. Remodeling the shop in Cali for film stuff and a new house and on and on...Yeah, John is the boss, but you don't stiff your friends that way and not expect them to be pissed. Coil likes the young guys that are tuning for Force.

As with everything, friendships change when having fun becomes a business. Ya hate to see it happen, but it does.

As with everything, friendships change when having fun becomes a business. Ya hate to see it happen, but it does.

This is a huge part of the deal.

Back in the early eighties, I worked at a company that was fairly informal, but we worked hard and played hard, and we did it together. Picnics, seasonal parties, etc. Hell, they even stocked the fridge in the break room with beer, with the understanding you put in a quarter for a bottle, and did so only after the end of the day, and didn't get carried away. Great place to work. Loved it there. Then, "The Boss" built a new building and we moved out of our rented space into a brand new "high class" facility. "The Boss" changed, thinking he needed to upgrade the image of the company. It was no longer the great place to work that it was, "The Boss" became more strict and more demanding, invoking some pretty silly rules. (No personal pictures at your desk is one that comes to mind. Looks "unprofessional.") Some of the employees that had started with the company moved on, fed up with the change in the "corporate attitude."

I don't know if any of you recall it, but I remember seeing an interview of Coil, who described how he came to work for John. The way I remember it is that John had heard the Chi Town Hustler team was dissolving, and called Coil to see if he wanted to be his crew chief. Austin said he'd think it over and call back in the morning. John called back within an hour, and kept calling back. Austin said he finally said yes so he could get some sleep.

Taking that story at its face, what kind of "conversation" would have ensued had Austin told John beforehand about his departure???? John strikes me as a man who rarely takes "no" for an answer.

Last edited:
Dean

Austin doesn't need me to defend him, but Dean you are COMPLETELY off base with this thought.

Rapid

Austin is a huge fan of quality music. I can attest to his affection of Pink Floyd !!!
You know what blew my mind?
A couple years ago, at Bakersfield during the March Meet, a live band played. It was Friday night I think; I dunno. Anyways, here comes Austin on his scooter and pulls up. He starts rocking out! Like this --->
rock.gif

Seriously, he was really truly rocking out like a kid would. It was so cool to see.
:cool:

Nobody knows the particulars, but I can tell you this..
Karma always has a way of straightening out those who have taken advantage of others....
We shall see.

In my opinion it is their business period, and shouldn't concern anybody else, but you have to love Coils straight to the point answers. I can understand both sides of the argument and it makes good gossip I guess, but it should not be a concern to any one else. Just watch the weasels from ESPN try to stir the pot this weekend. Just my 2 cents.

Rick

those two guys did incredible things together for many years - arguably
changed the sport more than once - their separation is worthy of conversation
and part of that conversation will be a little muddy - price you pay for
living in the limelight.
jim rome the other day talked about who the best twosome in sports has
been likening mantle/ruth, careem/magic, kobe/shaq........sent his show
an email stating force/coil.

I can understand both sides of the argument and it makes good gossip I guess, but it should not be a concern to any one else.

Well, it shouldn't, but it is. We're talking about two of drag racing's most prominent people. Real people with real problems. Think about this - 500,000 people subscribe to Soap Opera Digest, so they can gossip about imaginary people.

Sorry guys,

I meant to get back to this yesterday but never did. I don't know what brand the speakers are, but it is WAY beyond my level of expertise. He said they were ribbon type I believe. They are taller than me. I have been in professional recording studios that didn't have anything near what Austin has. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm not an audio guy. All I can tell you is it's the most impressive unit I have ever heard.

My home stereo is pretty nice (I thought) but, compared to his mine sounds like an old AM radio with one paper speaker in the dash-LOL

Believe it or not, Lisa has her own stereo room and they compete with each other no kidding.

Alan

Sorry guys,

I meant to get back to this yesterday but never did. I don't know what brand the speakers are, but it is WAY beyond my level of expertise. He said they were ribbon type I believe. They are taller than me. I have been in professional recording studios that didn't have anything near what Austin has. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm not an audio guy. All I can tell you is it's the most impressive unit I have ever heard.

My home stereo is pretty nice (I thought) but, compared to his mine sounds like an old AM radio with one paper speaker in the dash-LOL

Believe it or not, Lisa has her own stereo room and they compete with each other no kidding.

Alan

Most recording studios don't have the same levels of equipment the average audiophile has at home.

BINGO !!!!! John you speak the truth. Business and friendship dont mix after a certain point. sad but true. and at that point feelings get hurt.
I dont have any idea what happened with john and coil. but from what austin has said im sure that business reared its ugly head and coil was offended

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back