Another Crew Chief Change (2 Viewers)

John, my point on Coil is simply this; If I make a public statement that you are an equal partner in a business I started that statement is, in fact, a contract. You are entitled to half of the business (in most states). I may make the statement in front of God and everybody or in front of just one witness. It makes no difference. I may make the commitment because of the expertise you bring to the business or for other reasons and considerations. Again, it makes no difference. I made the commitment of my own free will. I did not put any qualifications at all on the commitment (and so I cannot say later well, but, I didn't expect, yada yada) . I did not say if you work your butt off for 25 years and the last two years you fall off a little the deal is off. I said now today you are an equal partner. There are restrictions. I cannot give you half in a effort to give you half of a pile of debt etc.
Such a statement is easy to make when you know if you sell everything you have you still cannot pay all of your bills. Later, if the enterprise is worth millions, you say well but I didn't really mean THAT. Oh really? The law says you did and it is a question of credibility. That is what a lot of this discussion has been about. I for one clearly heard John say what he said and I think Coil may well win a case. Time has passed though. It would be tougher now. Coil walked because of credibility and he has never looked back. He just moved on to try to deal with fair and honest people that are good for their word. I have been there too!

John, we could go on about the sequence of events and timing leading up to Coil leaving and about the legality of Coil's claim to what he thought was his based on an oral contract and agreement with Force made many years ago. The bottom line here is credibility. Is the man good for his word or did money change his perspective? Coil could have fought in court for what he thought was his. That fight could still be going on today and it would cost both sides zillions of dollars, tons of stress yada yada. Instead Coil chose to walk away. He chose to try to find fair and honest people who were good for their word to spend the rest of his life with and enjoy his time. He may have been thinking about Force's daughters and the impact a long court fight would have on their racing futures and decided not to fight. In walking away with a clean cut Coil made a very clear statement of his thoughts on John.
Lets just say some men have a problem with money bending their character and perspective. Fresh funds make yesterday's truth be seen in a different light and they develop a new interpretation of the facts it is based on. Stay away from such people in racing, business and politics. I have learned this the hard way as have many others.

Along with my business, I have a several commercial properties and a few lease deals with companies like McDonald's and Tim Hortons.
For the legal knowledge I've gained over the years, I'm confident that Coil didn't pursue a fight because of the simple fact that a verbal contract is only as good as the paper it's written on.
So, if Coil actually felt that he was a partner with Force, and didn't have a contract, then shame on him. He was the dumb ass there. He has nobody to blame other than himself.

Force never impressed me as anything other than a broke used car salesman who had boat loads of high powered charisma to live his dream, while he used everyone around to help him achieve it. That is business, and he did what he had to do and he has my respect.
What puzzles me is that someone from his background would normally have his partner or blood brothers back till the end of time. That's where I don't get how the pay cut entered the picture, while Force continued to openly live the high life.
Now, the train is clearly running out of track., and that's called Karma..

Last edited:
Time for the young folks at JFR to step up. Makes me wonder if Aaron Brooks might be headed that way.
John has always been pretty good about giving his younger crew guys the chance to move up the tuning ladder. My choices would be...
Courtney--Mike Neff
John-------Ron Douglas
Robert----Jon Schaffer
Brittany---Todd Smith/Guido

John, we could go on about the sequence of events and timing leading up to Coil leaving and about the legality of Coil's claim to what he thought was his based on an oral contract and agreement with Force made many years ago. The bottom line here is credibility. Is the man good for his word or did money change his perspective? Coil could have fought in court for what he thought was his. That fight could still be going on today and it would cost both sides zillions of dollars, tons of stress yada yada. Instead Coil chose to walk away. He chose to try to find fair and honest people who were good for their word to spend the rest of his life with and enjoy his time. He may have been thinking about Force's daughters and the impact a long court fight would have on their racing futures and decided not to fight. In walking away with a clean cut Coil made a very clear statement of his thoughts on John.
Lets just say some men have a problem with money bending their character and perspective. Fresh funds make yesterday's truth be seen in a different light and they develop a new interpretation of the facts it is based on. Stay away from such people in racing, business and politics. I have learned this the hard way as have many others.

Steve, as I said I agree with most of what you said. I was just pointing out that the tuneup Coil was deleivering wasn't working so well and that Zippy is and was a valuable commodity. Your right about verbal contracts being binding and Force for sure extended one to Austin. I suspect there was mostly ego involved in their separation.

John has always been pretty good about giving his younger crew guys the chance to move up the tuning ladder. My choices would be...
Courtney--Mike Neff
John-------Ron Douglas
Robert----Jon Schaffer
Brittany---Todd Smith/Guido

Good choices EG. I think Schaffer is with Force for 15.

..and that's a fact. Its not good for other race teams, it isn't good for DSR, and it isn't good for the health of the NHRA.
That very reason is why I don't pay much attention to the sport in the same way that I did years ago.
It's like watching two men play with their toys, and no one else is allowed in the sand box anymore.

It's kind of ironic that Force was the first to ruin the FC class by bringing in a team car, and now the team concept and it's monopoly building effects are showing him to door.

..and that's a fact. Its not good for other race teams, it isn't good for DSR, and it isn't good for the health of the NHRA.
That very reason is why I don't pay much attention to the sport in the same way that I did years ago.
It's like watching two men play with their toys, and no one else is allowed in the sand box anymore.

It's kind of ironic that Force was the first to ruin the FC class by bringing in a team car, and now the team concept and it's monopoly building effects are showing him to door.

So very true, but so very sad.

Rick

if multi-car owners must dominate the landscape, then go to 2 cars per team (i.e. could still have 2 FC's and 2 TF's).
at least 8 teams/class touring with 2 cars each......single car teams must form an alliance(partner) for season.

first round pairs each team's 2 cars against each other....winner of that round is each team's sole chance to win the event.
2nd round, semis and finals all pit team against team.
no more chance for 2 team cars to ever meet in final.
2 day event, day before elims. run time trials with some cash up for grab.
2 car average et's during time trials positions the team on ladder for elims.
a team's sponsors would show equally on both team cars.
at pomona II it's a 4 team (8 car field), the 4 teams with most wins battle it out for championship at one event.
no more points....for anything.

sorry, got off on a tangent :rolleyes:

Lack of facts leads to individuals making assumptions that will be proven drastically wrong in the long run. Many things happen behind walls/doors hidden from the public's view that will strengthen several teams. And sometimes top employees leaving allows room for young energetic individuals to bring new life to the party and make the team grow and become stronger.

No matter what the rules say, the same people are going to control/help/support many more teams than allowed by the rules.

Lack of facts leads to individuals making assumptions that will be proven drastically wrong in the long run. Many things happen behind walls/doors hidden from the public's view that will strengthen several teams. And sometimes top employees leaving allows room for young energetic individuals to bring new life to the party and make the team grow and become stronger.

No matter what the rules say, the same people are going to control/help/support many more teams than allowed by the rules.
Yep, you just made the most valid post in this thread.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back