Angelle DQ'd? (1 Viewer)

I'm a little torn on the emotions thing. Its great to see someone up there like Angelle or Whit, showing real emotion, not just spouting off the sponsor's names liek a programmed machine, but I think she shouldve maybe composed herself a bit before going in front of the camera for the interview. I understand the race isnt just for fun, its big business, especially with the opportunity that was there, but it just doesnt look good to be that way in front of the camera. But, we're all human, so its a natural thing. Some get mad, some get sad.

We raced a divisional event at Sears Point (Infineon) several years ago when the scales used to be about 1/2 track next to the road course. The wind was blowing very strong from the finsh line to the starting for the first time all weekend. Andy Manna won a round in comp but was bounced at the scales for being too light right in front of us.

We went through the scales and were 25 pounds lighter than the round before making us too light. They admitted it could be the wind under the back of the body so I asked if we could turn the car around and face wind and the answer was "No." So we pushed it back off the scale and pushed it back on one more time...plus, I told everyone to stand directly behind the car to block the wind. We were right on the money at 2,250 with it flickering to 2,245. They gave us the thumbs up.

Later, I asked the guys where the big crescent wrench in the seat came from. No comment.

RG

That's funny Randy. :D
I wondered what happened to my crescent wrench.

What we will do is put the push truck (this is where a Dually is perfect) in front or behind the car depending which way the wind is blowing.

When we were at Vegas a couple of years ago we scaled before we ran with the wind, it made a difference depending which way the car was facing. A swing of 10 lbs. (no dually for this test)

So what are the odds of Angelle being DQd because of that?? I'm sure NHRA is on top of this!

I mean..should the team be given the benefit of the doubt..turn the bike around..put a dually between the scales and the wind??

Seems silly to wank a contender when there is any speculation at all. But..it doesn't surprise me at all that this is the way things are.

I'm a little torn on the emotions thing. Its great to see someone up there like Angelle or Whit, showing real emotion, not just spouting off the sponsor's names liek a programmed machine, but I think she shouldve maybe composed herself a bit before going in front of the camera for the interview. I understand the race isnt just for fun, its big business, especially with the opportunity that was there, but it just doesnt look good to be that way in front of the camera. But, we're all human, so its a natural thing. Some get mad, some get sad.

Somehow I can't see any racer telling the person putting the microphone in their face, 'please give me some time to compose myself'. Heck, the emotion is the reason they're shoving the mic in their face to start off with.

Somehow I can't see any racer telling the person putting the microphone in their face, 'please give me some time to compose myself'. Heck, the emotion is the reason they're shoving the mic in their face to start off with.

I agree Jackee. I can't blame Angelle for her emotions, and I certainly don't blame her for the timing of the interview either.

I think she got a raw deal. People can say that you are responsible for meeting the weight minimum and that it's not NHRA's problem, but when you consistently take measures to ensure that you make weight, you should be able to count on NHRA for consistent results.

The rules state that the racer has to adapt to the scales not the the scales have to adapt to a racer idea of what the scales should weigh.

Every Sportsman knows that . I suspect since I litterly bought thousands of cattle with a business I owned that wind plays a major factor on scales ,as well as where with my experience where the car is being weight on the scales. if a racer is light then it is their fault and that racer should admit that they messed up. When NHRA used to require Super Stockers to have 50/50 weight on our cars I remember one time at Topeka that I was light all I did was open the door and all of a sudden I was heavy . The racer has to be on top of the scales situation as everyone should know that racers .A racer who has their Heart and Soul in racing should not be criticized for showing any type of emotion in my opinion

I think all of this is exactly what Angelle so twisted up. They weighed before with fuel and no helmet and passed, then again after the run with no fuel but with helmet and got bounced. That's pretty brutal no matter if you like her or not.

Welcome (back) to the Mater, Don. I was looking forward to seeing you in Vegas again but it looks SS isn't part of that equation this time around.

P.S. - I thought the only time that wind mattered in the cattle business was when you were standing downwind. :D

how hard would it be to put a big tent around the scales? would that solve the wind problems? as i read this thread it seams obvius that wind is a big factor. so some kind of wall or somthing should take care of this ya think? mikey

I posted this most likley dumb question over on Angelle's site and I'll ask it here. Did they scale the bike facing into the wind or away from the wind? The reason I ask is because I've seen literally dozens of funny cars and pro stock cars get scaled. They'll be light facing away from the wind and be over the legal limit facing into the wind. That little breeze can supply enough lift to artificially effect the scale. When they interviewed Angelle, I couldn't help but notice that the wind really seemed to be blowing. Could this affect a PSM just like F/C or PSC? Just wondering.
I think larry morgan went thru this at brainerd a few years ago also. I believe they dq'ed him and he turned the car around the other way and it was fine, I dont remember the year.

Seeing as how my last post was JERKED,:rolleyes: I'll ask again. Did they weight on their scales or the legal set before the round?:confused: And as far as the belly ring remark, that was stated on NHRA Today Sun, morning.

Take the rider out of the discussion for a moment.

I'm far from an expert on PSM rules but the method of weighing the bikes is imprecise. The NHRA is holding the bikes to a tolerance that is 2 times more precise than the cars if the same scale of 5 lb. increments is used.

For a car, +/- five pounds over 1,000lbs. - 2,000 lbs. is less significant than it would be over 500lbs. - 700 lbs.

5lbs./1,000lbs.=0.005 or 0.5% 5lbs./500lbs.=0.01 or 1.0%.

I'm guessing the standard deviation from the mean weight of a PSM should be less than five pounds. In other words, if the bike is weighed 10 times in a row on a precise measuring device, the weight will vary less than five pounds. If that is the case, than the measurement tool is not precise enough to weigh the bike repeatedly.

Last edited:
Angelle was mad....plain and simple. I'm the same way. I cry when I get VERY angry. Men misread it......it's a sign of some females' temper. It's not a sign of weakness. It's just a sign of a firey, passionate female. :)

Angelle was mad....plain and simple. I'm the same way. I cry when I get VERY angry. Men misread it......it's a sign of some females' temper. It's not a sign of weakness. It's just a sign of a firey, passionate female. :)

I throw things, usually torque wrenches. Aims not so great, so a long torque wrench increases the odds that it will hit something (usually not what I intended).

Mike's wrist pins were light and his engine builder admitted his scale was off.

You must of read something different than me. I read where Iaconnio found out his scales were 2 grams light meaning if NHRA's scales were correct the pins would have been 2 grams heavy. Of course I could of read it wrong.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the emotions. It's healthy and shows passion. Doesn't matter to me if it is Angelle, Whit, WJ, whoever. Makes the sport more interesting and beats the hell out of naming all the sponsors. However, I do have a problem with people who are not willing to accept any responsibility (either individually or for the team) when something goes wrong, but would prefer to look elsewhere for the blame. Not the first time by any stretch in the case of the Angelle. My 2¢, and entitled to it.

You must of read something different than me. I read where Iaconnio found out his scales were 2 grams light meaning if NHRA's scales were correct the pins would have been 2 grams heavy. Of course I could of read it wrong.

The pins were light and the pistons were very heavy making the assembly well over the required weight, they bounced him anyway for the pins being light is what I understood.

If I'm not mistaken, todays pro stock engines are not truly 500". Aren't they shy of that by 2-4"? And the reason is when they are inspected for size a small error, be it human, a damaged tool or an outside force doesn't get you tossed.

The sport is all about pushing limits, the tools we have to measure it by have them too.

The helmet weighs 3 pounds but a gallon of gas is about 8, maybe that is where it went.

A lot of good posts in this thread.

Right on Kel. But when it comes to emotions, some folks just don't get it.
A few tears would seem better then wringing someone's neck! :eek: ;)

The point I was trying to make in my earlier post was that the NHRA couldn't prove that the scales they used to weigh the pins had been recently certified or the last time they had been. Therefore, making it very questionable about the real weight of the pins. When Angelle came up light, I chalked it up as NHRA just screwed someone else again over a scale snafu. :rolleyes: This is the same sanctioning body that told Steve Johnson that his motor was to big and later had to come back and eat crow when it was determined that the motor was legal after the event was over and he was disqualified.

Water is about 8.33 lbs / gallon. If you want tho know the weight of a liquid, just multiply the liquids specific gravity x 8.33.

Back to our regularly scheduled program. :D

Bottom Line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules state that the racer has to adapt to the scales not the the scales have to adapt to a racer idea of what the scales should weigh.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back