Angelle DQ'd? (1 Viewer)

I don't blame her for beng upset. Hell I was mad she got dq'd.
It was probably a combination of wind, iffy scales and the team cutting it a bit too close. It happens. As soon as I saw it last night I thought of Larry Morgans deal a few years ago and they showed how it depended on which way you were facing and how windy it was at the time. I assume most teams know this and factor it in a little. It's a shame, hopefully she comes back the fight Antron for a 1-2 army finish

As for who gets interviewed I understand the frustration. Personally I'd love it if they showed Baca and Steve Johnson interviews all the time, even give them their own show. However I understand what espn is trying to do.
-Capps and Force are the two of the most popular drivers in the class, so by interviewing them they keep a huge number of viewers happy.
-They are both locked into a points battle with each other. Capps going out first round (especially with feeling they were hung out) could have had big points calculations. It's a news story and maintains attention.
-In other sports do they interview eveybody? Does the 8th guy on the basketball team get the interviews? Does the team in 5th place get the coverage on sportscenter that the teams in first do?

Now personally I would love to see every winner get interviewed and to cut the recap of nitro. I just watched first round, then they recap it as though I'm an alzheimers patient. Unless there was something special about the run its not needed I'd like to see them use that time for interviews.

It does seem odd, TJ (with Melanie) gets a ton of interviews away from the track but can hardly seem to get on tv doing what he does.

I'd want that kind of fire on my team......

.... she seemed (to me) more pissed than anything.

Heck, I once got so upset - by trying to contain my emotions - I went home and threw up!

It was weird seeing Tommy Johnson Jr. thank SPY while wearing his OAKLEYS.
rofl... I was wondering if anyone else caught that. I got a chuckle from it as well.

Also, on the who-gets-interviews-and-who-doesn't subject. The show was cut down nearly 30 minutes or so, that obviously had an effect on what made the show last night.

Oh yeah, anyone who thinks track scales are dead-on perfect on a 24/7 basis needs to have their head examined. It's easy to understand why Angelle was so upset! She weighs before the round with fuel and no helmet... no prob. She weighs after the round less fuel and plus helmet... 5 light, that's pretty weird. I wonder how many times they scaled the bike during the weekend?

In a sport where the clocks read tenthousandth of a second we use a scale that reads in five pound increments seems odd. But really, it only would take a few ounces to turn up light with that arrangement even if the scale is dead on.
When a racer fails at the scale do they have them get off a re-weigh the vehicle? Are the scales dependable enough to repeat consistantly?

Last edited:
Well, did anyone notice how high she jumped when her teammate won the race, I'm sure that she would have liked to have been in the other lane, but that was pretty awesome sportsmanship.........

I've found that usually the people who are uncomfortable with someone showing emotions, are those who aren't in touch with their own.

Angelle, you cry all you want to girl. Frustration with the circumstances, or joy when winning are real emotions. Good for you in not being intimidated into not allowing them in your life.

I like the emotion that any of them display. It lets me know that they really care about their job. I loved how PUMPED TJ was after winning. He usually seems so reserved and he was lettin' loose.:)

In a sport where the clocks read tenthousandth of a second we use a scale that reads in five pound increments seems odd. But really, it only would take a few ounces to turn up light with that arrangement even if the scale is dead on.
When a racer fails at the scale do they have them get off a re-weigh the vehicle? Are the scales dependable enough to repeat consistantly?

Direct quote from NHRA.com

"Sampey and her bike must weigh 615 pounds after a run. She weighed 610 pounds. The scale was recalibrated and she was allowed to step on and off the device several times, but the number didn't budge."

I agree that a scale that weighs in 5 pound increments needs to be addressed.

This has been a freaky year in PSM. Lot's of controversy because the racing is tight (1-10 qualify within 0.080 - that's racing!). So, if someone gets hot under the collar and let's it show, who can blame them? Cry, puke, cuss, throw things or kick the bike; sometimes you gotta let it show. Better than getting an ulcer or aneurism.

At AHDRA (All Harley Drag Racing Association) events, the scale is brought by the AHDRA tech staff and is made for motorcycles. It's two pads for the wheels and one for the driver's feet. It measures to the pound. Since it is a motorcycle sanction, this makes sense. Only motorcycles to weigh; no cars..

The NHRA is predominantly a car sanction so the scale is made for cars and would be difficult to transport. Let's face it, motorcycles are not the majority in the NHRA (most tracks don't even run the motorcycle classes in sportsman competition). Is it really a shock that the NHRA is ill-equipped to handle tech inspection for one motorcyle class?

Eric

How funny is it that when you go to angellesamepy.com, it re-routes you to craigtreble.com... to funny!

I don't mind her crying... She is emotional, at least she cares! Get over it!

We raced a divisional event at Sears Point (Infineon) several years ago when the scales used to be about 1/2 track next to the road course. The wind was blowing very strong from the finsh line to the starting for the first time all weekend. Andy Manna won a round in comp but was bounced at the scales for being too light right in front of us.

We went through the scales and were 25 pounds lighter than the round before making us too light. They admitted it could be the wind under the back of the body so I asked if we could turn the car around and face wind and the answer was "No." So we pushed it back off the scale and pushed it back on one more time...plus, I told everyone to stand directly behind the car to block the wind. We were right on the money at 2,250 with it flickering to 2,245. They gave us the thumbs up.

Later, I asked the guys where the big crescent wrench in the seat came from. No comment.

RG

We raced a divisional event at Sears Point (Infineon) several years ago when the scales used to be about 1/2 track next to the road course. The wind was blowing very strong from the finsh line to the starting for the first time all weekend. Andy Manna won a round in comp but was bounced at the scales for being too light right in front of us.

We went through the scales and were 25 pounds lighter than the round before making us too light. They admitted it could be the wind under the back of the body so I asked if we could turn the car around and face wind and the answer was "No." So we pushed it back off the scale and pushed it back on one more time...plus, I told everyone to stand directly behind the car to block the wind. We were right on the money at 2,250 with it flickering to 2,245. They gave us the thumbs up.

Later, I asked the guys where the big crescent wrench in the seat came from. No comment.

RG

lol
...that's funny Randy.:)

Or you could make the run, have your crew member give you a 32 oz bottle of water to drink on the way to the scales.

Jay

Basic Racing Knowledge

The rules state that the racer has to adapt to the scales not the the scales have to adapt to a racer idea of what the scales should weigh.

Every Sportsman knows that . I suspect since I litterly bought thousands of cattle with a business I owned that wind plays a major factor on scales ,as well as where with my experience where the car is being weight on the scales. if a racer is light then it is their fault and that racer should admit that they messed up. When NHRA used to require Super Stockers to have 50/50 weight on our cars I remember one time at Topeka that I was light all I did was open the door and all of a sudden I was heavy . The racer has to be on top of the scales situation as everyone should know that racers .A racer who has their Heart and Soul in racing should not be criticized for showing any type of emotion in my opinion

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back