And Now This.... (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
It's now being reported on news sites that.... "The race-car driver behind the wheel during this weekend’s deadly accident in Selmer has a history of previous arrests, including a DWI, according to a ..."

Google "Selmer" and you can read it for yourself. A Bad Deal all the way around!

That's such a load of crap, has no bearing on the day's events. He was participating in a charity fundraiser for crying out load.

Besides the fact that according to other reports, Troy Critchley had already submitted blood for drug/alcohol testing, and results were negative. This may be a case where a reporter with nothing better to do found something from 10 years ago, and decided to make sure everyone knows about it. Unfortunately, the press gets this reputation (no offense to Mr. Bennett).

This pissed me off enough to make a call to WMCTV.com about their story. I asked them why they'd dig up something from 7 years ago that has absolutely nothing to do with this and the guy that I talked to said they were just trying to get more background info on Troy. :rolleyes: I asked him when they were going to run a story about the countless times he's donated his time and money doing appearances and displays to help out people. I think I made my displeasure well known to the guy on the other end of the phone.

I suggest voicing your displeasure with this smear job by giving them a call:
WMC-TV
Main newsroom number (staffed at all times):
(901) 726-0416

And didn't this same media do this to the current President while campaigning for his first term? Hmmmmmmmm!

The sad thing is that all of us get lumped into that statement Nunzio.

Bobby,

The problem is the media (TV, Radio, newspaper & Internet) that do not or care to understand the issue will get what they want and move on. Leaving behind the people that are hurt or unsatified with the outcome. I personal live in a flood area in north jersey (Little Falls along the Passaic River) that gets coverage all the time from NJ / NY media. I can tell you that living through some very bad floods over the last forty six years I have seen more than my share of bad reporting.

You and others give us your view of a issue and we understand the words that goes with the drag racing vocabulary. The others just don't get it. How do you describe the differents of a street race to a real drag race to a viewer that doesn't care about the differents.

A wise man once said " Thier is his side and then thier is her side and in between is the truth" I think the only thing to do is just keep doing what you are doing. Report the truth and stand by your princples.

Wait a minute folks...the driver's history is very relevant to his ability to make proper decisions. His history of being in trouble and wrecking cars is absolutely relevant to his abilitly to perform a safe exhibition.

It's his profile...law enforcement uses profiles as one of their key elements during investigations.

For instance...choosing to do a burnout on a public street with a 3,000 horsepower car, that's difficult to keep straight on a sticky drag strip, without guardrails to protect innocent bystanders, reflects an inability to make proper decisions.

There's no defending this guy or the people who promoted and approved this stupid exhibition...we don't allow this crap at a drag strip! Burnouts anywhere but the water box at the track are strictly against common sense.

When was the last time you saw a news station report a good story, other than the firefighters saving a cat from a house fire and breathing life back into it??

Media is the wrong word IMO, Brent points out one station that did a background check on someone that was involved in an accident that claimed more than a few lives, injured up to 23, and hurt an entire community for years to come, if not much longer, some in that community for life...

The news stations do this sort of thing all the time because they can, and have access to the records... And his priors are relevant, because it shows a pattern of how someone acts, and lives their life... No priors, no problem, that anyone knows about... :rolleyes:

The news is all bad, all the time... What are the first 18 minutes of a broadcast before checking Sally's weather forecast for the next seven days... :rolleyes:

Look, I don't like this anymore than anyone else, but to use the word media, instead of a few news stations, is like using the word drag racer, and now every drag racer is bad and goes out doing these sort of acts...

The bottom line is, they are looking for a pattern of this sort of thing, right or wrong, whether or not you like it, they are going to keep doing it... Because it sells and pisses people off, I really think that's their job most of the time...

BTW- Blood tests for alky and or drugs takes between 5 and 7 days, so anyone saying test results show, is not telling the truth... Misreporting, what else is new... :(

And Brent, I am not singling out your post, I'm just using the content as an example...

Last edited:
If you read the history of the event they do it every year. The cops, the fire department, the city, everyone is involved and rightly so. So, they book in some cars and they say here's what we do, show the cars, do a burn out , etc etc.

So, Troy, whose heart is in the right place says OK I'll do it. We'll give'em a good show. Where the problem is, is that the promoter had been doing it all these years never and concluded that this could happen some day and did nothing to make sure it was safe such as bringing in temporary concrete construction barriers etc. Afer, the first time (and Im giving him some slack here) he needed to evaluate what needed to be changed.

For Troy's part in this, he did too big of a burnout causing him to go out of control. At the track I have never seen a car go into the wall during a burnout except once.

So I believe everyone involved shares some responsibility in this, regardless of one's past criminal record. And yes it's a crime to drive drunk. So he does have a criminal record.

So I believe everyone involved shares some responsibility in this, regardless of one's past criminal record. And yes it's a crime to drive drunk. So he does have a criminal record.

Rich...you couldn't be more accurate!

I'm just amazed that everyone involved (City, Police, AMS, etc.) thought this was an appropriate thing to do on a public street...

Rich...you couldn't be more accurate!

I'm just amazed that everyone involved (City, Police, AMS, etc.) thought this was an appropriate thing to do on a public street...

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but I will post this press release from the team. I will post my response from another forum to the release.

SELMER, Tenn. (June 18, 2007) "The entire AMS Racing Team is in deep mourning over the losses and pain suffered this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families during this difficult time. We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident, which is compounded by the fact that it occurred during a charitable event designed to raise money for disabled children. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the individuals that were injured or perished in the accident," team spokesman William Reid said Monday.

The team was asked to attend a charity event in Selmer, Tenn. to help raise money for the Cars For Kids charity and was told the organization had staged a charity car show for the past 18 years in which the drivers performed burnouts. The team sent its racing team to the event to display two racing cars -- a '93 Corvette and a '57 Chevy - and planned to have each vehicle perform an exhibition burnout.

A burnout is a demonstration in which the driver spins the tires to create smoke and noise to demonstrate the ability of the car. The driver involved in the accident, Troy Critchley, is an experienced professional driver who had performed more than a 1,000 exhibition burnouts without incident prior to Saturday.

The team arrived in Selmer on Friday June 15, 2007. On Saturday the team displayed two cars for the public to view, and, after displaying the cars, the crew was instructed to line up with other cars participating in the event. After the parade was completed, Selmer Police Officers blocked off the highway for the cars to perform the burnouts. The team understands that the Selmer Police Chief, Neal Burks, was present and in charge of crowd placement and blocking off the street.

The drivers understood that the roadway had been inspected and approved for the burnout exhibition. Before Mr. Critchley began the exhibition, two Selmer police cars traveled down the left and right of the roadway and instructed the crowd to move back. Mr. Critchley was signaled to start and he began to perform the burnout. After a straight start, the car skidded off the road. Mr. Critchley did everything humanly possible to keep the car on the road, but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do.

Mr. Critchley was taken to the Emergency Room and treated for injuries he sustained in the accident. He voluntarily submitted blood for testing to the Tennessee Highway Patrol and it was confirmed he had no alcohol or drugs in his system. The entire crew remained in Selmer on Sunday, June 17 to cooperate and provide information to Tennessee State authorities investigating the accident.

The team has agreed for the involved car to remain in the possession of the Tennessee Highway Patrol for examination. Mr. Critchley was not arrested nor has he been given any indication he will be charged with a criminal offense. The team is cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway

Last edited:
My thoughts may offend some, but I'm going to share them anyway......

"Exhibition burnouts" do not belong on public streets or anywhere except on a dragstrip where there are barriers between the cars and spectators. To refer not once, but 3 times to the Selmer Police doing this or that, is a veiled attempt to displace responsiblitity in my opinion. "The team is cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway" is yet another attempt at deflecting the personal accountablity for this accident, in my opinion.

Here's the facts;

1. a professional drag racing driver & crew know the power of his/her automobile
2. a professional drag racing driver & crew know that anything can happen at high speeds
3. a professional drag racing driver & crew know the destruction an out of control vehicle can cause
4 a police chief,police department, city officials, event coordinators do not necessarily comprehend the above realities.

Until this tragedy, I had never even heard of 'exhibition burnouts' being done anywhere but on a drag strip. Any professional drag racing driver and his/her crew should not even think about participating in such an event because of the potential harm and devastation that can take place if/when something goes wrong.

In my opinion an 'exhibition burnout' is just another name for street racing, except that it is sanctioned by the town, police, event coordinators and the public.

There is enough 'error in judgement' blame to go around in this tragedy, on the part of everyone involved in it. For those people and groups that would like to put an end to drag racing, period, this error in judgement is likely to have far reaching consequences.

For those who may be thinking, "sure Jackee, hindsight is always 20/20', I will say that if I had ever heard of 'exhibition burnouts', in close proximity to the general public, I can assure you that I would be saying the very same thing before a tragedy took place. There is one place, and one place only for drag racing and that is on a drag strip. Events that wish to feature drag racing vehicles should limit their use to a display, and maybe even being started up, to display the sound of raw horsepower. However, even that poses the potential for risk.

My heart goes out to the victims, family and friends of all of those touched by this horrible event, including the driver and crew and event coordinators. It will certainly remain with them forever. And for those who will not make the distinction, it will forever be a 'drag racing' issue. That means that every single one of us continue to reap what was sown on that day.

Jackee...you are absolutely correct in every point you made. I can't believe anyone ever thought this was a good idea...

Jackee,

All your points were valid and I agree with everything stated. There is no place for something like "exhibition burnouts" other than a sanctioned drag strip with proper barriers. Again, everyone involved, from Troy Critchley to the police and event organizers, should have had more sense than to put something like this portion of the event on. I don't know much about all the other things that preceded the exhibition burnout(s) but I'm sure they probably weren't as life threatening as this was. One additional thing I don't like stated is calling this a city street as based on what I saw, I would bet you this was a highway or county road that had lots of open space around it and an apparent need for guard rails or barriers on at least a portion of the road, unless they were constructed and installed just for this event. My heart goes out to all the families involved and YES to Troy as well, but extreme errors in judgement were made here, as always in horrible accidents. I agree that this is probably going to be another black mark for REAL drag racing and drag racers from here on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back