Preliminary Results of NHRA’s Wilkerson Investigation (1 Viewer)

Raconteur

Nitro Member
News From NHRA Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NHRA PROVIDES PRELIMINARY INFORMATION AFTER FUNNY CAR INCIDENTS IN CHARLOTTE, MEMPHIS

GLENDORA, Calif. (Oct. 8, 2009) –
Preliminary results of NHRA’s investigation into two separate incidents involving Funny Car at both the NHRA Nationals in Charlotte, N.C. and the O’Reilly NHRA Mid-South Nationals in Memphis, Tenn. suggests the problems are not related in anyway, according to NHRA Technical officials.

The first incident involved Bob Tasca and his Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Shelby Mustang. The wheel was immediately examined by NHRA Technical Department personnel and after the event, was sent to the SFI Foundation, Inc. for further inspection. The wheel has also been examined by the original fabricator. Based on initial inspections, NHRA issued a technical bulletin advising teams of wheel inspection and maintenance issues. In the meantime, the wheel is continuing to be examined by SFI and has been sent to a metallurgist for further evaluation.

In Memphis, NHRA tech officials examined the wheel components in the incident involving Dan Wilkerson and his Levi, Ray & Shoup Ford Mustang. After initial examinations and discussions with team owner, Tim Wilkerson, NHRA has determined that the wheel was not properly installed. “We believe that both wheels lug nuts were not properly torque due to misaligned wheel spacers,” said Wilkerson. “That contributed to the loss of the wheels during the run.”

This week, NHRA’s technical department issued a technical bulletin on proper installation of the wheels with and without spacers. Further metallurgical analysis is planned on the wheel studs from the Wilkerson vehicle to determine if any other factors were involved in the incident. As in all incidents, NHRA will also examine data recorded by the Ford Accident Recorders and the on-board data acquisition systems from both cars to further analyze these incidents.

“While we have some strong preliminary information from both incidents at this time, it is important to make sure that a thorough analysis is done,” said Glen Gray, NHRA Vice President of Technical Operations. “If any additional information is obtained from the investigations of either incident, it will be shared immediately with our Top Fuel and Funny Car teams.”

Darr Congrats on scoring the CHRR ticket package last night.
Big Mac was having fun with you.
Did you fing that "one friend" yet to go with you !:D

Big Mac= priceless

Darr Congrats on scoring the CHRR ticket package last night.
Big Mac was having fun with you.
Did you fing that "one friend" yet to go with you !:D

Big Mac= priceless

We are holding a quick contest tomorrow in the new issue of Drag Racing Online to win that pair of VIP Tickets. It'll be in the Agent 1320 section of DRO, the single ticket is going to my son's girlfriend to attend her first drag race. :)

What is the deal with camping. We are helping Richardson and normally part on the pit side the camping pass has us going through gate 3.

Registered member said:
This week, NHRA’s technical department issued a technical bulletin on proper installation of the wheels with and without spacers.

I've tried to navigate the maze, better known as NHRA.com to try to find this tech bulletin but have come up empty.

Does anyone have a link to an online version of this document?

John E.,

Now you see why I mistakenly related Darr to Nitromater...he's been on here more than he shows up on DRO<GGGGGG>...however, I will admit I did know better when it came off my tongue! Darr was quick to correct me so I hope the Burkster will forgive me as well.

Was a good show last night and thanks to all that came out and participated. I feel that it is, month in and month out, as good a show as there is in L.A.

Hope to see all of you at the reunion in B'fld next week...lots of good things happening. My first gig is the Friday night reception at the Doubletree...open and free to the public. See and be seen with all the legends...a show in itself.

To all, stay well.

MaC

I've tried to navigate the maze, better known as NHRA.com to try to find this tech bulletin but have come up empty.

Does anyone have a link to an online version of this document?

Wayne, it's possible that this bulletin was distributed directly to the competitors on a need to know basis. I'm always eager to learn about the smallest detail on fuel cars. But . . . as Virgil has stated, those of us who are not competitors really don't need to know. JMHO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back