Adam Sorokin: son of the Surfers (1 Viewer)

I wonder if the car handles any different with the bodywork on it, as opposed to being open. Looks to be a bit safer if you have a boomer.

I recently $caned over 500 of my 35mm colored slides that I had taken from 1965-1974 at the Indy Nationals & Great Lakes Dragway. I am now in the process of sorting & labeling them.
Here is a photo of Surfer's Mike Sorokin warming up on the rollers at Indy in 1966.

Ken

th_Surfers1966-1.jpg

Apart form the experimental bubble , that car doesn't look that bad. Where the nostalgia funny cars have the bodies to "TRY" and keep them honest I tend to find that the nostalgia top fuelers tend to look like someones attempt at a front engine version of a modern top fueler but that one doesnt look to bad

That's a neat-looking car. Some of the Nostalgia FEDs are good looking. My biggest gripe is how the drivers sit so high up, some of them just don't look good. I'm sure they can see better, which leads to my other gripe: I don't think they should allow the real high Condor injectors, nothing nostalgic about them. JMO.

Ken Thrun, since you're sorting your pictures from Indy and GreatLakes Dragway, I would like to know what you have of the dragsters I drove at those tracks from 1965 thru 1973. Parisey/Hansen cars, Jr Fuel, BBC High Performance FED,that we won BB/GD 69 Indy, BBC Dual engine TopGas dragster, and in 1973 Jerry Newman's Hot Rod Shop Top Fuel RED, that we won 73 Div 3 Championship.
Please let me know how to get ahold of you, so I can see what you have.
Call me in Calif @ 805-444-4489 or [email protected]
Jon Hansen of the current Hammer/Hansen JrFuel "B" 2008 NHRA Heritage Champions

A You Tube video of "The Champion Speed Shop in Motion" has just been posted.

There is also a Champion Speed Shop Fan Page up at Facebook. It looks like the CSS's web 2.0 guy has been a busy little chimp. Props to both him and the entire CSS operation, as they all thrash to get this deal dialed in time for the March Meet.

All cached by the all-knowing internets, that file was deleted for a reason. There are better versions lying around.

Like this one: THE EPIC SAGA OF THE SURFERS

Thanks for the link , I love their style of racing you know , they treated it as a science they didn't just bolt this and that on and hope it worked . It seems to be commen trait with all the really great tuners like tham , Dale Armstrong , Austin Coil , Alan Johnson , Don Garlits all those other guys I missed , they all seemed to treat it like a science and not just about tipping the can and bolting a whole lot of stuff together and hoping for luck .

Last edited:
Cole's Saga of the Surfers is the best piece of drag writing I've ever read!

Their story is very very moving.

One of the most touching things in Adam's story is the pics of young Adam, his mom and Tom McEwen at an Orange County Sorokin memorial meet. Poor little Adam looks so scared to have to be there. Much too young to fully appreciate what his dad and that meet were all about.

That pic just makes me feel all of the emotions that must have been swirling inside Adam's young mind at the time. I'm moved by it.

-90% Jimmy

Cole's Saga of the Surfers is the best piece of drag writing I've ever read!

Their story is very very moving.

One of the most touching things in Adam's story is the pics of young Adam, his mom and Tom McEwen at an Orange County Sorokin memorial meet. Poor little Adam looks so scared to have to be there. Much too young to fully appreciate what his dad and that meet were all about.

That pic just makes me feel all of the emotions that must have been swirling inside Adam's young mind at the time. I'm moved by it.

-90% Jimmy

Great story. No doubt about it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back