Adam Sorokin profile (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
To any maters who were fans of the Surfers, there's a very informative, interesting Driver Profile on Adam Sorokin, son of original Surfer Mike Sorokin, on Nancy Matter's website. The "Surfers" were quite a group--I believe they were the first to really master the use of high percentage Nitro without cataclysmic results.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: Nancy Matter Racing - Top Alcohol Funny Car

Great Job Terry, Okay, I didn't even know it was up there. The ol' Empty the Cache trick got me again. Thank you so much for all your hard work in keeping my site updated.

And good luck to Adam this weekend in Bowling Green!!!

:)

To any maters who were fans of the Surfers, there's a very informative, interesting Driver Profile on Adam Sorokin, son of original Surfer Mike Sorokin, on Nancy Matter's website. The "Surfers" were quite a group--I believe they were the first to really master the use of high percentage Nitro without cataclysmic results.

Here's a link if you want to check it out: Nancy Matter Racing - Top Alcohol Funny Car

No doubt that this is a nice write-up by Nancy. Yeah, I'm a bit biased as Sorokin is one of my best friends, but his is a *****en story nonetheless.

And for your viewing pleasure, here is an in-car cam with Adam in the Champion Speed Shop digger.

YouTube - Adam Sorokin Drives the Champion Speed Shop Chevy

And for those who forgot what top fuel used to sound like

YouTube - Champion Speed Shop Famoso Test Run

THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EXPLODING INEVITABLE Top Fuel Wormhole: The Cole Coonce Drag Strip Reader

I hope this link works.

This is Cole Coonce' story of the Surfers. It is the most moving piece of nitro journalism I have ever read in my life.

Cole apparently has a new book out, that I know about only because I stumbled on to it while searching for the Surfer's piece, linked above.

The forward by Dr. Post is...remarkable.

Top Fuel Wormhole: The Cole Coonce Drag Strip Reader

I"m not formally connected to Cole at all, I just like his writing and I think it's important to get the word out about his works.

(Cole has helped me write a few drag racing things in the past, in the interests of FULL DISCLOSURE)

FYI

-90% Jimmy

THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EXPLODING INEVITABLE Top Fuel Wormhole: The Cole Coonce Drag Strip Reader

I hope this link works.

This is Cole Coonce' story of the Surfers. It is the most moving piece of nitro journalism I have ever read in my life.

Cole apparently has a new book out, that I know about only because I stumbled on to it while searching for the Surfer's piece, linked above.

The forward by Dr. Post is...remarkable.

Top Fuel Wormhole: The Cole Coonce Drag Strip Reader

I"m not formally connected to Cole at all, I just like his writing and I think it's important to get the word out about his works.

(Cole has helped me write a few drag racing things in the past, in the interests of FULL DISCLOSURE)

FYI

-90% Jimmy

Thanks for the links, Jim. Hope all the Surfer fans will find a copy of the whole article. I actually read it when it ran in Hot Rod in '98. I have an undergrad degree in English, so I too really appreciate the literary stylings of Mr. Coonce. To me his style is very reminiscent of the gonzo journalists of two and three decades previous. I seem to hear echos of Hunter Thompson when I read Cole Coonce. Also, here's a link to a followup article in Hot Rod about Adam and the influence the previous generation of racers had on him. It's a pretty good piece also--worthy of a read by any Surfers aficionado who hasn't seen it yet. Adam Sorokin - Legacy of the Surfers Top Fuel Team - Hot Rod Magazine

Thanks again for the links--I hadn't read the preface to the book by Dr. Post yet...wow.

I have said it on here many times ... but I will say it again ... I attended the NHRR last year and Sorokin's warmup in the pits was FANTASTIC. The cloud was thick and the car was crap-your-pants LOUD. For anyone attending this year, it is not to be missed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back