A-Fuel down to 96% Nitro (1 Viewer)

How does running an A-Fuel car prepare a team for TF? The Cost and tuning curve's completely different. Has any A-Fuel Tuner been successful as a TF/FC Crewchief?

Well, we agree on this one! But - it is the best training a driver can have for leaving the line at idle before stepping up. Brandon, Morgan, Ashley and a lot more!

How 'bout 0% since it's Top ALCOHOL Dragster. This has always bothered me. When did it become OK to just run another type of motor and fuel in that class? Did somebody just come in and say,"I don't want to run what the rules state, I think I'd rather run this", and NHRA just went with it? I'm just certainly glad they haven't made this legal for TAFC, which is certainly one of the best classes in the NHRA.

Goes all the way back to Pro Comp in the mid 70's.... A/FC was droped because of a couple of car that had .30 on everyone... including rails....

Injected fuel Fcs have been around forever, and I think were even an option for awhile after Pro Comp split up. I don't believe an NHRA A/FC ever had a huge advantage, because by the time the A/FD guys figured it out, A/FCs were no longer in the rulebook. I actually think that they were just left out after a period of no participation. However, in IHRA, they were allowed until Scott Weis went 5.70s a few years ago, and IHRA didn't want to have the same parity issue that they've had with PM. I know it's been beat to death, but I wish Injected Fuel FCs were an option, I think they'd be cool.

My 2 cents is that the powers to be do not want the Afuelers getting to close tho the Top Fuel class. Can you imagine if we still had a 2.8 lb weight break with a lock-up clutch on 100%? ... 4.80's @ 300 mph

My 2 cents is that the powers to be do not want the Afuelers getting to close tho the Top Fuel class. Can you imagine if we still had a 2.8 lb weight break with a lock-up clutch on 100%? ... 4.80's @ 300 mph
I've always wondered what they'd do on 100% and with clutch and fuel management systems like Top Fuel. Sure would be damn neat to see!

I've always wondered what they'd do on 100% and with clutch and fuel management systems like Top Fuel. Sure would be damn neat to see!

Can you imagine how fast TF/FC would if be they were still allowed 100% with a 2.90 gear and NO rev-limiter like they were in Pre 1990? 4.20's @350????

Kevin,

I agree with you. This has been going on for many years, it is not an easy thing to keep the field level. Back in the day, it was the alcohol burning cars with the different weight breaks that would have to adjust from time to time, then the A-Fuel revolution has made it even tougher. I didn't mean to be flippant.

Alan

Yeah, and I MISS wedge engines in the alcohol classes. I think you could compare Rick Santos and his small block Chevy back then to the TAD/AFD parity problem now. I read once that basically, if he didn't shake, he won. Same with the AFDs. They're either on or off. If they're on, they win. I don't think the desired parity is ever going to be achieved.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back