Goodyear workers on strike (1 Viewer)

twok4hd

Nitro Member
Local news is reporting that 16 plants across U.S. and Canada went on strike today.

Wonder what impact, if any it will have on the racing if they were on strike for the rest of the NHRA season?

Wonder what impact, if any it will have on the racing if they were on strike for the rest of the NHRA season?
Hopefully none.

If ever Goodyear did have a problem supplying tires though, is there another company who could produce rubber good enough (safe enough) for the Nitro guys on short notice?
Hoosier??

Chile?

Unless somethings changed in the last few years ( and it might have) I'm pretty sure Goodyears for the pro classes are made overseas.

S/F
D

I believe the fuel tires are made in Ohio, and the rest in Chile. If a strike last any time at all, Goodyear should just move everything off shore which is what the unions want anyway.

Jay

Hopefully none.

If ever Goodyear did have a problem supplying tires though, is there another company who could produce rubber good enough (safe enough) for the Nitro guys on short notice?
Hoosier??

Not sure, Hoosier I think has started to make tires for TAD and FC but it would be a long and expensive project for Hoosier to develop a fuel tire.

Goodyear Stopped Making Racing Tires In Chile Last Year. We Bought A Set Of Tires This Year At The Houston Nationals And Was Told That The Tires That Are Lettered In Yellow Are Usa.

Nascar's and NHRA's tires are both made locally (Akron and adjoining communities).

From the Akron Beacon Journal:

Both sides were negotiating up to the deadline, but remained ``miles apart,'' according to a spokesman for Akron Local 2, which represents about 470 Steelworkers who make Goodyear racing tires.

------------------------------------------------

And in the name of good trivia...for the first 16 years that Hoosier produced tires "specifically designed for racing" (1962-1978) those Hoosier Racing Tires were actually produced in Akron, Ohio's Mohawk Rubber Company plant.

I believe the fuel tires are made in Ohio, and the rest in Chile. If a strike last any time at all, Goodyear should just move everything off shore which is what the unions want anyway.

Jay

The unions are not in favor of moving Jobs overseas, Goodyear on the other hand would move everything to China, Tawain, Brazil ect. they are slowly working on it. The plant here in Tyler is pretty much history, I watched the same thing happen in the 1970s in Akron, everything moved South.

The unions are not in favor of moving Jobs overseas, Goodyear on the other hand would move everything to China, Tawain, Brazil ect. they are slowly working on it. The plant here in Tyler is pretty much history, I watched the same thing happen in the 1970s in Akron, everything moved South.

That's right, Kenny, Goodyear wants to close the Tyler and Union City, AL plants, and that is one of the sticking points of this strike. The union wants to keep them open. Our plant here in Danville employs over 2200. One of the other points is that Goodyear wants to reduce benefits for retirees. The retirees expected to be taken care of, and Goodyear wants to pull the rug from under them. Some folks just don't understand what a strike is all about.

Murdock.

I don't have a problem at all with "collective bargaining." (Of course, if I try it as an independent contractor, it's all of a sudden called price fixing and I'm nailed by the RICO Act for conspiracy, laws that were created for the mafia)

I do wonder if the unions are always considering the foreign competition that a business is already faced with. I remember the strikes at a Levi's plant in my hometown as a kid where these folks were already making much more than the average wage around them. Now there is no Levi's there and I wonder how many of them wish they had those jobs back.

It's all about the bottom line..and it's sad. Most of the companies are making a profit..but it just isn't the % the stockholders want. I don't wanna get into it..just pisses me off..when a larger profit ends up a bigger priority than taking care of 1000's of people. But then it gets to the point where millions are being lost, GM, because of healthy, generous, benefits being paid to thousands of retired employees..:)

It's all about the bottom line..and it's sad. Most of the companies are making a profit..but it just isn't the % the stockholders want. I don't wanna get into it..just pisses me off..when a larger profit ends up a bigger priority than taking care of 1000's of people. But then it gets to the point where millions are being lost, GM, because of healthy, generous, benefits being paid to thousands of retired employees..:)

You really think GM wanted to do that? They had no choice, they were threatend by the UAW.

The greedy unions are destroying business in the USA. We are going to loose GM and Ford. Those workers will only have the memories of the over paid jobs that they once had.

Jay

Everyone wants the most for the least, whether they're making money or spending it, which is the way it's supposed to be. The unions/employees are out for themselves, and the companies are out for themselves. If you want protectionism from foreign markets, then what you're really saying is that you want non union workers everywhere to be forced to pay higher prices for goods and services to fund the retirements of union workers.

Like I said on the post about the GM workers losing their jobs in a similar thread on the old mater, I don't have a problem with a union worker losing their job when they've already been making how much more than their neighbors? Most Americans manage to live beyond their means via debt no matter HOW much they earn. No, I don't feel sorry for employees driving $50,000 cars.

When's the last time you heard a successful person say "I owe it all to my union job"? Higher wages just gives most people more means to live beyond with.

If it wern't for the union Trane would be paying us five bucks an hour to build condensers, and they would still be the highest priced air conditioners on the market. They shut down our compressor operation five years ago and shipped 750 jobs to Mexico, the Mexicans are working for a hundred bucks a week and no benefits, the compressors come in by the truckload defective, (we have to run-test every one) do you think they are cheaper now than they were five years ago when we built them here in Tyler???? No way.

Workers should realize that health benefits given in the 60-70's are no longer possible. If companies like mine are forced to continue lifetime health care in a work related contract they have no alternative but to go offshore. I own stock in many different companies and I expect my stock to rise in value or I sell it. I'm not working my ass off just to lend money to companies interest free and I don't think any of you would either. It all boils down to ROI and the impact Mexico has on us.:D

If it wern't for the union Trane would be paying us five bucks an hour to build condensers, and they would still be the highest priced air conditioners on the market. They shut down our compressor operation five years ago and shipped 750 jobs to Mexico, the Mexicans are working for a hundred bucks a week and no benefits, the compressors come in by the truckload defective, (we have to run-test every one) do you think they are cheaper now than they were five years ago when we built them here in Tyler???? No way.

And if you're going to be an employee, I'm sure a union job is about the best you can do. Some of my prejudices against unions have to do with what individuals have done in the past, and I'd at least hope it didn't represent the views of the majority. One is when I see the words spray painted on the road "SCAB AHEAD." Then I get to a house where the words read "SCAB LIVES HERE" with an arrow pointing to the driveway.

I think it should be a free market either way. If a group of people wanted to get together and offer not to walk out for $20 an hour, fine. If the company is able to replace them with people willing to do the job for $10 an hour, that should be fine as well. I don't think anyone wants to see companies getting together to artificially fix prices. I don't want to see anyone getting together to artificially fix jobs. You should be able to make the companies have to compete for you and the companies should be able to make you have to compete for them.

What I really wish is that the rest of the world would have levels of capitalism and individual achievement that were even with this country. Then people in the rest of the world would have the buying power that we do and we wouldn't have a trade deficit. I DON'T think we should be trading with communist countries or anyone who doesn't share our views of what human rights should be. The fact that we trade with China and don't with Cuba is insane. You've got governments making money off of the products we buy instead of their people.

Hopefully we can debate this over the best ribs in the world someday! Still looking forward to it! :)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back