90% back (1 Viewer)

Just because 90% is back does not mean they will run any quicker with the existing tire, especially if there is heat on the track. It will be nice to hear a little more cackle.

Paul, I think you hit the nail on the head. The tire, and unfortunately because NHRA apparently refuses to look at prep issues, the tracks, can't handle increased power. 90% will probably help parts attrition, but if NHRA wants better racing, they need to research traction issues. Saturday qualifying has becomes a disaster for fans.

It was widely speculated ever since Dan Olson took over Ray Alley's job glade to see it finally happen!
They should have never switched to 85% to begin with! :rolleyes:

I worked on the Winston Top Fuel team. I will never forget the day I arrived at Tucson for the pre-season test. First year with the first nitro percentage reduction. As I am walking into the track, I hear an engine start up. I would have bet alot of money on it that it was a blown alky motor. As I got closer to the car that was warming up I realized it was a Top Fuel car. I got to our trailer and asked Alan 'What in the hell is wrong with that car?' He replied 'Get used to it, that is the sound of a car that has just lost its balls' Since then I have 'heard' Top Fuel cars get further neutered. Nice to see that the cars are getting some of their balls back.

Knowing that everyone, both big buck teams ans smaller ones will spend less or perhaps much less on parts will make the sport better for all. If the cars get faster than maybe the next fix will come after long talks with the people running the cars. We all hope this helps the guys working on the cars. They bust their butts. Hopefully 90% helps them.

I posted this when 90% was a rumor. Still holds true. I doubt you'll see much in the way of big gains in performance, but the parts bills will be lower.

The teams are having to run more blower and compression at 85% which is killing crankshafts and everything else. 90% will mean cutting back on both and saving a ton of money.

I think they have figured out how to run as much nitro through the motors as they did in 90% days except the 15% of alky they are required to run is in the way.

With 85% crankshafts are lasting no more than 3-4 runs for most teams. If I order one from Sonny Bryant right now I would be lucky to see it in September and they are about $3,500 each. I just got the word that Gates Belts are 6 weeks out for 8MM and no one has any (RCD, Littlefield, etc.). Because of overdrive and higher cylinder pressure the belts are taking a beating. Taking a look at the slo-mo's on ESPN2 it looks like the TF cars throw a belt off almost every run. Sooner or later someone is going to run out. It's not uncommon to see 8 rods and pistons in the trash after one TF run, either. The suppliers are having a hard time keeping up with parts orders and these parts are extremely expensive. Throw in a 6 week string of events along with the IHRA schedule and the suppliers are overwhelmed.

I know it's hard to believe, but 85% is killing a lot of teams. Their dream come true would be a return to 90%.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It's just like when TA/FC was changed from 125% overdrive to 92% overdrive. It was supposed to save us money because it dropped the boost, but in the long (and short) run it's cost a ton of money. Now a perfect blower is very critical. High RPM's are a must. Valve train is taking a tremendous beating. Diverters in the injector, coated rotors, etc., etc. Our dream come true would be a return to 125% overdrive.

RG

so--will the rule be you HAVE to run 90%--or will the rule state "no more than 90%" ? (meaning you can run 85% if you wish?)

Great news, good call nhra.

I wonder if they will add some other rule change to manage et/speed since this is why they went to 85% int he first place?

Great news, good call nhra.

I wonder if they will add some other rule change to manage et/speed since this is why they went to 85% int he first place?

If the performance was to get to an unacceptable level I am sure the NHRA will adjust the rev limiter.

I posted this when 90% was a rumor. Still holds true. I doubt you'll see much in the way of big gains in performance, but the parts bills will be lower.

The teams are having to run more blower and compression at 85% which is killing crankshafts and everything else. 90% will mean cutting back on both and saving a ton of money.

I think they have figured out how to run as much nitro through the motors as they did in 90% days except the 15% of alky they are required to run is in the way.

With 85% crankshafts are lasting no more than 3-4 runs for most teams. If I order one from Sonny Bryant right now I would be lucky to see it in September and they are about $3,500 each. I just got the word that Gates Belts are 6 weeks out for 8MM and no one has any (RCD, Littlefield, etc.). Because of overdrive and higher cylinder pressure the belts are taking a beating. Taking a look at the slo-mo's on ESPN2 it looks like the TF cars throw a belt off almost every run. Sooner or later someone is going to run out. It's not uncommon to see 8 rods and pistons in the trash after one TF run, either. The suppliers are having a hard time keeping up with parts orders and these parts are extremely expensive. Throw in a 6 week string of events along with the IHRA schedule and the suppliers are overwhelmed.

I know it's hard to believe, but 85% is killing a lot of teams. Their dream come true would be a return to 90%.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It's just like when TA/FC was changed from 125% overdrive to 92% overdrive. It was supposed to save us money because it dropped the boost, but in the long (and short) run it's cost a ton of money. Now a perfect blower is very critical. High RPM's are a must. Valve train is taking a tremendous beating. Diverters in the injector, coated rotors, etc., etc. Our dream come true would be a return to 125% overdrive.

RG

RG, I guess that means if enough TAFC guys let NHRA know just how much more Expensive running 92% is than 125% was maybe they'll change that as well!

90% is good... Now I can wake up Sunday morning with a good Sniff of real Nitro.. Oh wait that was 97% Nitro..

Maybe Knoll can sell more Fuel so he can buy NHRA and run it like it should be. Ok back to dream land.

Seeing as I live in Phoenix, I am almost more excited about going to the January test session next year than I am about going to the finals in Pomona this year! I don't want to see those results at the expense of safety, but if the 2420s can hold up then I am all for it.

Kevin,

Since I won't be in Pomona now, if you are going to go to that PHX test session and I can find a good flight at a good price to PHX, I'll see you there champ.

Mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back