1000' racing at Noble, OK (1 Viewer)

What happens when someone or more than one person runs off at 1000 ft and gets killed. Do you go to 900? 800? 764?

Logically, 990' should be used, if we are using parts of miles for ET traps.

Early on, some tracks were 990' and others 1000'.

Usually, you were lucky to get any down track increments at all.

Last edited:
Logically, 990' should be used, if we are using parts of miles for ET traps.

Early on, some tracks were 990' and others 1000'.

Usually, you were lucky to get any down track increments at all.

That's sorta what I'm getting at. If it's going to be based on any kind of psychologically pleasing number, such as a nice fraction of a mile or a pretty round one due to our numbering system being based on tens, shouldn't it FIRST be based on something scientific, THEN rounded down to the otherwise pleasing number? I think they're just pulling numbers out of their a$$? :rolleyes:

I think the only reason they're going to 1000 is that it's the last increment on time slips so, the timers are already set up for it. If that last increment happened to be 1100 or 900, I believe you'd be seeing 1100 or 900 ft racing, out of nothing more than the same convenience. The "safer" racing distance would be based on no more than that, which is what I think 1000 is now.

I'm sure it would be a very complicated task for engineers to compare the shutdown areas of every track, then come up with numbers based on current funny car and dragster chassis designs. I bet for each track they could say "The chances of getting killed change dramatically once you pass this number at this track."

Shouldn't someone be working on that NOW? Until that's done and it's based on some kind of science, isn't it all just a guessing game? I'd be concerned of the possible liability consequences of NOT doing that. I wouldn't expect any science to be 100% accurate but, at least you could stand up in court and say you made every effort possible.

I wouldn't have a problem if fuel classes were run on 1/8 mile. If people in the stands did question it, others could say "They used to be run on 1/4 like everyone else but, they got too fast for the tracks. Those cars are THAT BAD!" The diehard fans wouldn't like it but, they're not the ones dying.

Last edited:
Some great racing at Noble this year! Couldn't have asked for better weather... cool temps and cloudless blue skies! I managed to put a few more faces to names and was happy to see some others again.

Bob Orme, Jenn... nice to meet y'all.
Nancy... good to see you again, hope you get the car back together soon.
Lynn... hope you didn't get lost on the way to the hotel.
Unk... it's DEFINITELY my turn next time!

Oh yeah, a big thanks to Super Stock racer James Lee for delivering a set of injectors to Tulsa for me.

Some great racing at Noble this year! Couldn't have asked for better weather... cool temps and cloudless blue skies! I managed to put a few more faces to names and was happy to see some others again.

Bob Orme, Jenn... nice to meet y'all.
Nancy... good to see you again, hope you get the car back together soon.
Lynn... hope you didn't get lost on the way to the hotel.
Unk... it's DEFINITELY my turn next time!

Oh yeah, a big thanks to Super Stock racer James Lee for delivering a set of injectors to Tulsa for me.

Nice to meet you too! The weather was definately better than the last time we were there.

I never did get around to going to meet Nancy. Maybe next time!

Nice to meet you too! The weather was definately better than the last time we were there.

I never did get around to going to meet Nancy. Maybe next time!

Same to you Jenn. I think I saw some of your dragsters going by us though, do they say Choose Life (or something like that on them??)

Next time for sure. Tom, it was great meeting you and chatting with you and Unk, what a blast huh? Next time, I hope we're both driving though.

Same to you Jenn. I think I saw some of your dragsters going by us though, do they say Choose Life (or something like that on them??)

Next time for sure. Tom, it was great meeting you and chatting with you and Unk, what a blast huh? Next time, I hope we're both driving though.

Diggers say Choose Life, roadster says "Vote Pro Life"

Okay, saw the dragster, don't remember the roadster. Which do you drive? I never saw a girl driver in either of the dragsters :(

Okay, saw the dragster, don't remember the roadster. Which do you drive? I never saw a girl driver in either of the dragsters :(

I don't drive any of them anymore. The last time I raced the black dragster, I wound up peeing visual blood for a week and have small amounts of blood cells in my urine to this day. (although not nearly as much)

Doctor said "You keep that up, and you'll need a kidney transplant in 5 years". That was 8 years ago. So I just crew now.

Sometimes I race the streetcars or no electronics cars, my convertable, even race my mom's minivan a couple times till she found out about it.

Tom, it was a pleasure to meet you, and thanks for the cinnamon rolls, they kept me alive Sunday!

Jenn, it's always good to see you at a track taking care of your guys. Being a crewchief ain't as easy as it looks! Seeya in Vegas, and I hope you can get all three cars in.

Nancy, you did a great job with your commentary on the alky classes! I know how much you wanted to be racing instead of hanging out in the tower, but your insight and first-hand knowledge was an absolute plus!

Unk and Lynn.....I hope I get assigned to the Cajun SportsNationals next year, because I want to be there when you guys grudge match race!

Bob :)

Tom, it was a pleasure to meet you, and thanks for the cinnamon rolls, they kept me alive Sunday!

Jenn, it's always good to see you at a track taking care of your guys. Being a crewchief ain't as easy as it looks! Seeya in Vegas, and I hope you can get all three cars in.

Nancy, you did a great job with your commentary on the alky classes! I know how much you wanted to be racing instead of hanging out in the tower, but your insight and first-hand knowledge was an absolute plus!

Unk and Lynn.....I hope I get assigned to the Cajun SportsNationals next year, because I want to be there when you guys grudge match race!

Bob :)

Unk and Lynn were phenominal on the mikes, and you are right about Nancy, her commentary on the alcohol classes was terrific.
I really enjoyed the alky cars at 1000ft. It was a great event, even if I did get whacked in the first round by one of those D-5 players looking for more points in SST.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back