1000' racing at Noble, OK (1 Viewer)

Wes

Nitro Member
Seems that NHRA is finally making the correct decision to shorten the fast LODRS classes to 1000' at Thunder Valley Raceway Park in Noble, OK this coming weekend. If you've ever been to the end of that track you know what awaits an errant race car...a 14 foot berm then active railroad tracks. There have been more than a few alky cars meet that berm on sub-par runs. Kudos to NHRA, Division 4, and TVRP for making the right move.

So now tracks that are too lazy to fix their disaster shutdown's now just simply shorten the track? Guess Bobby Martindale and Bill Naves were both right!:confused:

Too lazy?

Seems like this is a sizable financial improvement to any facility and probably way beyond the yearly budget of any racetrack to change this late in the year. 1,000 feet may offend you deeply, but a track owner/operator should be making that decision with his own wallet rather than paying overtime crews to satisfy your schedule.

I don't think it's a fact of laziness. I live in Div 4. They don't want to cancel or postpone the race. They want to run it at 1000' and make the changes over the off-season.
Everybody keeps complaining about 1000'. The way I look at it is the way the economy is going you're like you're seeing 1000' racing and not 60'.

Thinking = it could always be worst.

Joe,

The point is there's no way to properly install a sand trap/net at these tracks before their scheduled events.

What this move does do is take about 20-30 mph or so off their top end speed and gives them an additional 320 ft to shut down.

Basically, it's doing everything they can do without cancelling the event for the year.

This is going to be tough on the tracks for next year. I think there will be a standard in place for these events. I don't know if it will be the new-style net/trap like Indy and Charlotte, but I'm sure it will have to be a certain style of sand, a better net standard. Also, I don't think a uniform standard will apply to all tracks.

For instance a track with trees/obsticles off the end will need a trap more 'aggressive' than a track that goes off into an open pasture. Now at both tracks, the trap/net needs to stop the car, just one has more room to do it.

This isn't a problem isolated to the alcohol cars. There are alot of cars capable of running 180+.

We can't prevent every accident. We can prevent some, though.

I don't think it's a fact of laziness. I live in Div 4. They don't want to cancel or postpone the race. They want to run it at 1000' and make the changes over the off-season.
Everybody keeps complaining about 1000'. The way I look at it is the way the economy is going you're like you're seeing 1000' racing and not 60'.

Thinking = it could always be worst.

Pretty much. Noble isn't the most high dollar track out there (admittedly, the track has gone through a bit of a downgrade the last few years). I'd be happy if they cut SC down to 1000 foot, then I wouldn't have to worry about chasing down the gremlin that hits us the last 300 feet of the track anyway. (That's laziness :p)

Cody, are you going to the Divisional?

So now tracks that are too lazy to fix their disaster shutdown's now just simply shorten the track? Guess Bobby Martindale and Bill Naves were both right!:confused:

You know, I'm really sick of fans who think they can do a better job at this than the people who are actually doing something to try and prevent another disaster. If they sat on their hands, you'd still be *****ing about it. If they do the best they can with what they have, you are going to ***** about it.
Go out, buy a track, and run it. Buy a race car and strap yourself in. Go to a funeral for the guy you were racing against when he crashed, and then tell me drastic measures aren't needed. Or are just a 'knee jerk' reaction.

Thank you, Jenn!!!!!! I have the exact same feelings for the r-a-c-e-r-s that have been complaining about this issue.

Pretty much. Noble isn't the most high dollar track out there (admittedly, the track has gone through a bit of a downgrade the last few years). I'd be happy if they cut SC down to 1000 foot, then I wouldn't have to worry about chasing down the gremlin that hits us the last 300 feet of the track anyway. (That's laziness :p)

Cody, are you going to the Divisional?

no, I'm gonna sit this one out. It's a long drive to Noble from Belle Rose.

Re: Td/ts

I think the move to 1/8 mile is many of the TD/TS guys have ran 1/8 mile stuff before. I guess it's an easier move for them. Personally I always liked bracket racing 1/8 mile because I had too much time to second guess myself on the stripe call. Thats just a statement of preference, really irrellevent to the issue.

I'm not sure if the track will be installing a 1000' mph cone. If so, that may have something to do with it.

Comp would have been problematic, because there are no 1000' indexes. There are 1/8 mile indexes, but it's been years since many have ran on the 1/8 indexes. CIC is -.50 under 1/4 mile and -.30 under 1/8. So not only would the indexes be problematic, where to cut off the CIC point as well.

Wont make it down this year, but a TA/FC did go off the end during Thursday testing last year the day before the event. I had just made a pass and got to watch the car ramp off the end. The guy was very lucky, destroyed the car, and split his helmet right down the middle but walked away. TVRP is a great place, but the shut down needs an upgrade.

You know, I'm really sick of fans who think they can do a better job at this than the people who are actually doing something to try and prevent another disaster. If they sat on their hands, you'd still be *****ing about it. If they do the best they can with what they have, you are going to ***** about it.
Go out, buy a track, and run it. Buy a race car and strap yourself in. Go to a funeral for the guy you were racing against when he crashed, and then tell me drastic measures aren't needed. Or are just a 'knee jerk' reaction.

Amen Jenn! I guess that people don't realize that some of us still cry over our losses.

Keep me updated on how badly the ground gets saturated please. Or did they do something to fix it?
Jenn - I don't think it's going to be that bad, especially not like what you encountered a couple of years ago. It's been dry as a bone around here for weeks so this ought to soak up and dry off real quickly. Hope y'all make it out, it'd be nice to put a face to the name!

Jenn - I don't think it's going to be that bad, especially not like what you encountered a couple of years ago. It's been dry as a bone around here for weeks so this ought to soak up and dry off real quickly. Hope y'all make it out, it'd be nice to put a face to the name!

If I go, just look for the "Choose Life" cars and I'm usually close by. If I'm not at one, try the other one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back