Wow What a "Unique" Idea... Should be Interesting! (1 Viewer)

Even "MORE EXCITING" suppose the # 1 or 2 is a DNQ... it has happened to almost all the PRO's this season.... I can just picture it now... Paul Page trying to sound "EXCITED" on the GREAT race even though the # 1 or 2 driver is a DNQ...

What could be even worse is 1 and 2 get to those positions in Vegas (and with the Force story, weren't even in contention until Indy), and then 3 AND 4 DNQ, basically handing the "Championship" to someone that has floundered all season long... Now that would be a bitch...:mad:

has anyone worked out mathmatically the odds of someone not in the top 8 winning enough races at the end of the season to have won under the current system? for example, someone who is say 9-12?

just curious.

Even though I'm sceptical about the "Chase". I'm still willing to see how it all plays out, BUT.......Should someone who's NOT in the Top 3-4 come Indy win the whole thing. All Hell's gonna break loose!

This just in from the NFL.. Rule changes to determine SUPER BOWL CHAMPS.. At any game in the playoffs any team in contention of going to the SuperBowl has legal rights to get on the field an sack the quarterback. No penalities against the defense will be ruled.. This new chase format was borrowed from the NHRA ;):D

Re: Wow What a

Personally, I think this whole thing is stupid! How exciting is it going to be at Pomona when the top 1 & 2 go out in the first round? Unless I'm reading this wrong, that possibility exists. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The possibility also existed under the previous structure that the championship could've been wrapped up at Vegas or even before. It's a bad year to be implementing it because of last years funny car and, in particular, top fuel championships still fresh in everyones minds, but I guess they wanted to do something about c/ships ending before the finals.

Personally I'm a bigger fan of the old system. It might be a bit anti-climatic at times, but if a driver is dominant enough throughout the year to wrap the season up 2 races before the final then they damn well deserves the title.

Say you finish the 17 race stretch in 9th place, by 1 pt. What incentive do you have to continue racing, especially if you're on a tight budget?
What if you race and run the table, at the remaining races? You still fare no better than 9th. I think Tony Stewart did something very close to that scenario last season in NASCAR.
Some may like it but I'd venture the majority don't. IMHO it is an attempt to create a false competition to keep interest towards the end of the season, Which hasn't been a problem in the past.

Wait, we've been through this already, sorry.

Say you finish the 17 race stretch in 9th place, by 1 pt. What incentive do you have to continue racing, especially if you're on a tight budget?..............................
People have always raced after Indy going into the end of the season with absolutely zero chance of winning a Championship. Why have they raced? They still have chances of doing well in competition, they still have a chance of selling products for their sponsors, and probably most of all, they love being out there doing what they are doing.

Also, when was the last time that ANYONE has been in 9th place with only 6 races left in the season won a Championship??? I would say never!

Ask Force about it and he'll cheer!
Ask Kim Anderson about it and she'll cry.
(maybe thats what the curtains are up . . .

. . . naw.)

Ask Force about it and he'll cheer!
Ask Kim Anderson about it and she'll cry.
(maybe thats what the curtains are up . . .

. . . naw.)

You are sooooo right ! Look at JF he couldn't get past the 60' clocks the 1st 1/2 of the season.. NOW he might have his act together, and "IF" he makes it into the top 8 & is on a roll ... he has a good chance of winning even after a less than stellar start!..

On the other hand, GA was HOT until a few races ago, and now it seems like he's a middle of the pack car... if so... after his HOT start, he may go down in flames after Reading, and the top 8 are = ..

Personally I'm not a big GA fan, however I also don't think its fair for him to lose the lead he got early in the season...

Personally I'm not a big GA fan, however I also don't think its fair for him to lose the lead he got early in the season...
My take on the summit car's is this... They are in test mode... Without looking at the points, because I am typing this right now, so I have no idea where Jason is, but since Greg is at or near the top, and with Cagnazzi and the Mopar's catching up... Now would be the perfect time to get the performance advantage back to where it was, before the countdown, so that the last six races, they are back where they once were... And I could care less about GA & JL... Just stating my thinking... :eek:

As far as why continue if you're #9... Because it use to be that every team just wanted to be a top ten car for sponsor deals... Will they only have the top eight on the stage at the awards this year??

And #9 paid better than #11 or #15, I think...

remember, GA just clinched a spot in final 8, do not rule out the possibility
that his early season lead has possibly enabled him, and jason, to experiment
a little - i would look for team summit to be verystrong after indy.

when this thread started, for some dumb reason i was under the assumption
that at least pomona would be the last four against each other; i am
resigned to fact that this is highly unlikely.

so of the four classes, what class gives the #8 guy the best chance
to win the championship? could a #5-8 throw a few more dollars at
his/her operation and find themselves suddenly competitive?
look at R. Krisher last weekend; is he truely competitive?, or did they
hit the combination perfect in denver? time will tell.
what i'm saying is that this 'split' racing season might also
have teams reshuffling their budgets.
Can a multi-car team with one car out of contention throw it's
resources towards their other team car/s in contention?

My take on the summit car's is this... They are in test mode... Without looking at the points, because I am typing this right now, so I have no idea where Jason is, but since Greg is at or near the top, and with Cagnazzi and the Mopar's catching up... Now would be the perfect time to get the performance advantage back to where it was, before the countdown, so that the last six races, they are back where they once were... And I could care less about GA & JL... Just stating my thinking... :eek:

As far as why continue if you're #9... Because it use to be that every team just wanted to be a top ten car for sponsor deals... Will they only have the top eight on the stage at the awards this year??

And #9 paid better than #11 or #15, I think...

Ray, I think the "test mode" idea is right on the nose. With the big lead that will mean nothing once we behead to 8, this would be a great time to try out some stuff that may or may not work--that seems consistent with the "extra secrecy" of the fabled curtains on the Summit pit. I have a hunch after the first beheading, that the Summit team will be back strong as ever, and they will need to be to stay ahead of the Cagnazzi juggernaut. Hoo Boy, great power and great drivers can be a pretty tough combination to beat.

Re: Wow What a

Ray, I think the "test mode" idea is right on the nose. With the big lead that will mean nothing once we behead to 8, this would be a great time to try out some stuff that may or may not work--that seems consistent with the "extra secrecy" of the fabled curtains on the Summit pit. I have a hunch after the first beheading, that the Summit team will be back strong as ever, and they will need to be to stay ahead of the Cagnazzi juggernaut. Hoo Boy, great power and great drivers can be a pretty tough combination to beat.
One thing is for sure... P/S final eight is not going to be boring...

The old system produced the outright champion the new system doesn't!
It's designed to create drama, great for television, as far as I'm concerned and takes away the integrity of the sport.
The rest of the field that's left after the final 8 become spoilers with no chance and really no reason to show up and somewhere down the line sponsors might have a problem with that I know I would but thats me.

Last edited:
PAYS MUCH MORE TO WIN THAN 5-8 IN THE POINTS

sorry, cap lock was on... and it don't pay squat 9 and up... so, if ya ain't gotta chance in PS or Bike, why show up...

At least the fuel classes you make tow money... if you qualify.... and go at least to the semis...

and i'd love to see the championship decided on qualifying point the last two races in the fuel classes... then the whole season won't mean squat

What is the difference between this new system, with regard to year-end money, and the old system? Do they still pay back 10 places? That used to be the incentive to try to get as high up in the points as possible.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back