Wow What a "Unique" Idea... Should be Interesting! (1 Viewer)

What is the difference between this new system, with regard to year-end money, and the old system? Do they still pay back 10 places? That used to be the incentive to try to get as high up in the points as possible.

N/D only show money 1 tru 8...

at least ya got coin and a spot on stage if you were 9 or 10 before this season

People have always raced after Indy going into the end of the season with absolutely zero chance of winning a Championship. Why have they raced? They still have chances of doing well in competition, they still have a chance of selling products for their sponsors, and probably most of all, they love being out there doing what they are doing.

Also, when was the last time that ANYONE has been in 9th place with only 6 races left in the season won a Championship??? I would say never!
There are some guys with "White Cars" who'd go home, knowing that they're relegated to 9th, no matter what! When was the last time a team had no chance of moving up, let alone winning a championship, regardless of performance, with 6 races left. I'd say NEVER!!!

Re: Wow What a

integrity of sport vs. drama of entertainment.
i'm still willing to give this points deal a chance.
if it draws more viewership and attendance,
then it's a winner. the last thing we need are more
unsponsored highly competitive professional teams/drivers.
what does 1st place in points pay?? whatever it is, it's
a fraction of what is spent to race the full schedule.
i agree, the payouts need to be more, so maybe this revised
points deal is part of what might be needed to attract new
$$ to the sport, i mean entertainment.
i'd rather see 20+ TF & FC showing up at 23 races per year,
than 17, 16 or lower because business is bad.
personally, i don't care who wins, but if the series shrank
or went away all together, then i'd be cryin'.

I'd love to see a 9th-10th place player after Indy just raise havoc on the whole deal. Get on a roll and beat up on the 1-8 cars/bikes.

Probably won't happen..but that would put things in perspective..like Stewart did last year in the roundy rounds. Not being in the chase and just kick butt..hehe.

PAYS MUCH MORE TO WIN THAN 5-8 IN THE POINTS

sorry, cap lock was on... and it don't pay squat 9 and up... so, if ya ain't gotta chance in PS or Bike, why show up...

Karl, you going to tell your sponsor thanks for the money but I'm going to sit out the rest of the season?

How would you go about finding a new sponsor? :confused:

Wait NHRA has a new points systems:D

Sure start me back from vacation with this topic.

YEs I agree that this points scam takes away the integrity of our championship. Its a welfare points system. There is no longer any reason to be great, we don't want to hurt anyones feelings who can't run fast enough so we'll let everyone in. blah, blah , blah. One of the great things about drag racing has always been that it is the purest form of competiotion. You and your stuff vs the other person. no timeouts, no refs, no home court, no injury list. A win in march meant as much as a win in October. Now its all about a lucky streak. As a compitior I'd have too much pride to accept a championship under these rules unless I earned the most points over the ENTIRE season.

Someone mentioned that if it brings more viewers. Viewers don't mean that something is good. We've all seen the only way drag racing makes sportscenter or the regular media is with a spectacular accident. Does this mean that we should create more crashes just to draw people? Hell if tv showed live executions the ratings would be off the charts does that mean its right?

Somehow I have grown to hate this even more as the season has gone on. I find myself not wantintg to watch as much racng, I was out of town this past weekend and didn't even bother to tape Denver.

I would love for some major things to happen to really screw up this system (for the higher ups to see the problem we're gonna have to have some pretty major screw up)
-several rain outs leading up to the " useless 8" to jack the schedule around
- a big name person to miss the 8 (Force or Doug K) that then goes on a tear winning all or most of the last 6 races making a Schumacher like move that would mean absolutely nothing.
-I wish I had money because I would pit a huge million dollar nitro race against one of the last 2 national events when only 4 people count. Leave the nhra with very small fields that thwy would have to explain to the tv crowd and po'd fans.
- someway to get a tv boycott of the last 2 races, if the ratings drop and drop huge they have to pay attention.
-for the new company to have the sense to overturn this idea

It will be interesting to see how mauch diving or payoffs take place/ Don't forget the did away with allowing alternates into the field if a qualified car couldn't go after bigger teams bought the spot of low funded teams. With a points scam like this is only helps fuel such things, plus the usual diving that we've seen in the past will be intensified.

Another thing I wonder is with teams that have already clinched a spot why not take a race or two off. I would thing giving the crew a break would be a huge benefit at this time of the year. NHRA has laready made it known that its not important to run every race anymore. DNQ's dont' matter, missing a race doesn't matter.

Since they've gone this far in ruining our sport for "excitement" purposes how far until they just scipt the entire thing. Big time wrestling us hugely popular, very profitable and oh yes exciting. Copied nasbore why not try following someone else:rolleyes:

Come on PJ you can get more creative than this?

All team cars that don't make the "Count" just line up against the heros that do make it. Then leave early and take out the top end timing cones. With no times, they don't qualify?

Or, an errant fan drops roofing nails in the lanes as the golden bunch approaches and they can't make the call and don't qualify.

Use your imagination and you could really sabotage this thing?

I prefer the old system where you reward success all year long as opposed to success at the right time? But that's just me?

Come on PJ you can get more creative than this?

All team cars that don't make the "Count" just line up against the hero's that do make it. Then leave early and take out the top end timing cones. With no times, they don't qualify?

Now "THAT" is my kind of thinking !! AWESOME ! Can you imagine if that really happened.. even for 2 qualifying rounds.. say Panuzzo racing had a car in the 8th position at Reading, & Force was 9th...
Panuzzo racing has a 2 car team.. and one of the cars has to run vs Force in qualifing... and Force is NOT in the show... The Panuzzo car leaves early and does as you sat takes out the top end cones..

How much you wanna bet NHRA will make an "Exception" and give JF another run, or come up with a "New Rule" that will apply to in these circumstances.. :D

Just think how huge this first round match up between Jeg and Greg would be under the old system. That race went from having major ramifications in the points whereas now it's for bragging rights.

Just think how huge this first round match up between Jeg and Greg would be under the old system. That race went from having major ramifications in the points whereas now it's for bragging rights.
From the sound of GAs interview yesterday, it appears he isn't trying to win anything as a direct result of the new system. He's simply trying "New" things in an effort to get a leg up when the real competition begins.

So the new Countdown has brought something new and un-exciting:
"Who Cares" testing during the heat of the season for those with enough padding on their lead to ignore the competition while others battle for a spot?

From the sound of GAs interview yesterday, it appears he isn't trying to win anything as a direct result of the new system. He's simply trying "New" things in an effort to get a leg up when the real competition begins.

So the new Countdown has brought something new and un-exciting:
"Who Cares" testing during the heat of the season for those with enough padding on their lead to ignore the competition while others battle for a spot?

Right. I believe this room to go into test mode will just give further R&D advantage to the teams who are already on top. So much for this giving lower tier teams a break. Just one more way to try to prop up what has turned into a professional level stadium sport. Seeing it on TV won't do it justice, and most people won't spend $50-60 a ticket on something they don't already know they're gonna love.

Lets see we have Force making a Schumacher like charge up the standings but <yawn> this year it means nothing as they're going to be bunched up in a couple of races

Lets see we have Force making a Schumacher like charge up the standings but <yawn> this year it means nothing as they're going to be bunched up in a couple of races

Capps and Hight are on top and Capps has gone out early in 3 of the last 4 races, Hight hasn't seen the semi finals since Topeka. Fast Jack and John Force are moving rapidly up the standings. Mike Ashley and Tony P are in the middle, by the end of the year there would be 6 cars with a legitimate shot at a legitimate championship. Now there's going to be an asterick next to whoever wins the title.

If I recall the players still accumulate points for next years Bud Shootout and all the other Shootouts so the non players are still in the hunt for next year so to speak.
That's supposed to be the rub.
Listening to a revitalised Larry Dixon he thinks it's really a boost to the sport to have this down to the wire chase starting so early.
The ending may be a pop instead of an explosion but only time will tell.
I quit counting how many times the countdown was talked about the first hour and settled down to some great racing.
I'm at work and rarely do I have the time to enjoy the well produced show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back