Wow What a "Unique" Idea... Should be Interesting! (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member

Wow NHRA sure is putting their thinking caps on... What a great idea.. now the non contenders ARE contenders! I bet PJ will be happy to see this !! :)

A season that might otherwise be lost for the Checker Schuck's Kragen Funny Car teams is very much alive thanks to the NHRA POWERade Series' new Countdown to the Championship playoff system.

In a nutshell, the 23-race season is broken up into three tiers: a 17-race regular season that will reduce the field of championship contenders to eight, a four-race playoff that will reduce the field to four, and a two-race competition that will determine the 2007 POWERade world champions.

Last edited:

Wow NHRA sure is putting their thinking caps on... What a great idea.. now the non contenders ARE contenders! :)

A season that might otherwise be lost for the Checker Schuck's Kragen Funny Car teams is very much alive thanks to the NHRA POWERade Series' new Countdown to the Championship playoff system.

Very comical! It would be alive even under the old system, if they strung some wins together, you know what, it's going to be funny when the dude who wins goes out in round number one at Pomona, and the guy that's won 10 or so races, gets nothing. The NHRA what a great team!

Re: Wow What a

I have somewhat defended this new 'playoff' system, but i have a question.....
at every race after indy, how do 16 teams race on sunday?.......
let me elaborate.
starting at memphis, there will be the 'top 8' in each class.
do these 'top 8' qualify AND race with the non-contending teams?
(i believe they do).......so, these 'top 8' will accumulate points
in memphis, dallas & richmond; which will give us our 'final 4' in each class.
In Vegas & Pomona, i REALLY wonder how the 'final 4' race on
sunday with 12 other teams???
They almost have to have their own race don't they? otherwise how
do the 'final 4' manage to race each other if they're part of a 16 car field?
and.....if the 'final 4' race amungst themselves, what do the other 12
teams do on sunday??

Mike - All of the qualifying, seeding, racing remains the same. It is only the points that get re-set. The top 8 and then top 4 could possibly NEVER actually race heads up.

(that is how I understand it anyway)

I have somewhat defended this new 'playoff' system, but i have a question.....
at every race after indy, how do 16 teams race on sunday?.......
let me elaborate.
starting at memphis, there will be the 'top 8' in each class.
do these 'top 8' qualify AND race with the non-contending teams?
(i believe they do).......so, these 'top 8' will accumulate points
in memphis, dallas & richmond; which will give us our 'final 4' in each class.
In Vegas & Pomona, i REALLY wonder how the 'final 4' race on
sunday with 12 other teams???
They almost have to have their own race don't they? otherwise how
do the 'final 4' manage to race each other if they're part of a 16 car field?
and.....if the 'final 4' race amungst themselves, what do the other 12
teams do on sunday??

As I understand it, the pairs will be selected just as they are now. The difference is that some teams will be barred from competing for the championship no matter how well they do.

There is no guarantee that any of the teams remaining in the championship farce will even race each other.

The points get reset at each point, and the teams that are still approved to win will gain points the same way they do now, whether they race a "championship selected" team or not.

Sorry, I just can't think this is a good idea but it's a great indication of where we've moved to. It might be more entertaining, but it has nothing to do with head to head competition.

Hey, here's a good idea! Instead of going through all this, let's keep everyone qualified to win the top prize. The only thing is, in the last 5 races of the year, each of the leading cars has to carry a extra pound of weight for every point they're ahead!

Yes, I'm kidding, and yes, it's ridiculous. But in essence it's the same concept where extraneous measures are taken to make sure the points race is close and that no team has a siginificant advantage even if they've earned it.

edit: lost on a holeshot again! I need to learn to type faster. :D

Last edited:

thanks for the clarification.
i guess i still don't mind the 'race' to the 'final 8' as it adds yet another
race within the racing season; and more exposure for the sponsors
is always a plus, but I guess I was under the assumption that AT LEAST
the final two would somehow face off head to head in Pomona.
(the final race of final race deciding the championship).
oh well, guess we'll watch this year and see how it goes.

I really hate this points system more and more each week. That's all their talking about is who is going to be in the top eight, and not a peep about who the point leaders are. I always thought the goal was to be #1 not #8. Looking at the points under the old system there would be 5 cars in contention in Top Fuel, Funny car would be pretty much be between Capps and Hight, with Mike Ashley and/or Tony Pedregon needing a couple of race wins to get back into contention. Pro Stock would be a two car race between Jeg and Greg. I'm really afraid of John Force getting in the top 8 and winning ( and I use that term in the loosest manner possible) the championship. Then the suits will never let us hear the end about how great this new points system is. I'll take it one step further Antron Brown is my favorite driver in Pro Stock Bike and I could care less if he winds up seventh, eighth, ninth or fifteenth after Reading because of the year he's having he doesn't deserve to be in championship contention. If he makes the top 8 (which I think he will) and then gets hot at the right time and ends up on top at the end it won't have the same meaning that it did a year ago.

And both of you guys will be glued to the TV to watch it all unfold!:eek:

no lance...

I'll be watching to see who wins the race, Sets Low ET and Top Time... (you remember what TT means)...

I could give a flying rat's who wins the championship... never have, Just always pulled for my favorites to win...

Last time I cared was when Dicko and Kim won their's... Just cause I thought Kim was a Cutie and she could turn a wrench:D

Personally, I think this whole thing is stupid! How exciting is it going to be at Pomona when the top 1 & 2 go out in the first round? Unless I'm reading this wrong, that possibility exists. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Personally, I think this whole thing is stupid! How exciting is it going to be at Pomona when the top 1 & 2 go out in the first round? Unless I'm reading this wrong, that possibility exists. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
That happened 2 years ago in funny car..............it ended somewhat anti-climatic. But that's not likely to happen in all 4 classes.

How exciting was it when Shumacher snagged the Championship last year without going head to head against Doug Kalitta???

How about in the 80's when Gary Beck went out early and watched from the sidelines as Shirley, Jeb Allen, etc. were still going rounds and had a chance to win it all out from under him???

..............I could give a flying rat's who wins the championship... never have, Just always pulled for my favorites to win......
I've always been that way myself, I have my favorites that I pull for no matter what else is going on.

Last edited:

Even "MORE EXCITING" suppose the # 1 or 2 is a DNQ... it has happened to almost all the PRO's this season.... I can just picture it now... Paul Page trying to sound "EXCITED" on the GREAT race even though the # 1 or 2 driver is a DNQ...

"Can Paul EVER sound "EXCITED" :D

Last year there were three cars in F/C who could have taken the championship and 2 in T/F. I thought last year's championship chase was very exciting. I don't like the fact that now everyone else is basically out, no matter how well they do, after Indy....unless they are in the "top 8". Another brilliant NHRA bean-counter idea. Follow the lead of NASCAR. I don't think they've ever had an original idea.

To all of you people that are worried about the championship not going down to the final round at pomona, How many years was the championship already decided two or three EVENTS before pomona? :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back