Wonderful people at the drags (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member
Just sitting here thinking about all the wonderful people (racers, fans...ect.)
that I have meant in the 50 plus years of going to the drags! And made a friendship with.
Here are a few that came to mind right off the bat.
Some here I will never see again. That makes me sad!
So guys and gals what are yours.
In no particular order

The late Ray & Shirley Strasser...The "Insanity" AA/FC
The late John Shoemaker and his wife Judee...Alcohol dragsters and AA/FD
Jay Payne...Anything with Alcohol and now A/Fuel, my favorite cars
Bucky Austin...Everything from Top Gas, Alcohol, AA/FC
Ray Rice...Former long time NHRA Div 6 starter
Rich Carlson...Former long time NHRA Div 6 photographer

1619558800176.png

1619558852706.png

1619558891807.png

1619558923563.png

1619559384977.png

1619559454931.png

1619559484187.png

Stammerjohn & Shoemaker AA/FD from late 60's. I remember seeing that car at Lions. Front motor car. Later he switched to T/AD. He'd do a burn out, and then as the car was backing up, he'd hold the American flag. Finally went to Nostalgia AA/FD. He died in a crash. I heard that he had a heart attack during the run. That was sad, but he died doing what he loved.

Mark Niver, A/FD, died at Seattle. I moved from LA to Arizona in 1981. Went to OCIR in 1983 for a Div 7 race and Niver won in a blown alky dragster. I told him years later that I saw that. I think he was kinda surprised I remembered. Also knew his nephew, who was a police officer for city of Phoenix. He told me Mark loved drag racing & he also died doing what he loved.

I've also met a lot of people at the drags. Have always loved talking to the drivers. Jack Beckman is one of my favorites, cuz he was in the Air Force like I was. Fun to remember those times & the memories.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back