Why censor the backup girls? (1 Viewer)

Paul

Nitro Member
I thought the ESPN NHRA coverage of the US Nationals was done well.

But one issue I really don't understand. Bob Bode has Alice Bode, a total knockout doing the backup service for him. They showed her briefly without comment during a qualifying segment but to my eye (although I was watching on DVR and could have missed it) they didn't show her at all during the race rounds.

They've been doing the same thing with Leeza Diehl, Jeff Diehl's knockout wife and backup girl, almost going out of their way not to show her.

What is the NHRA thinking?

They need to drive as much interest and potential viewers as they can. Believe it or not, including segments with pretty women would increase both male and female viewership, its well known that women also enjoy watching other women who are stylishly dressed.

The NFL figured this out a long time ago with their scantily clad cheerleaders. I remember on a Monday night game long ago hearing Don Meredith make a crack about this after a shot of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, something along the lines of "add a little sex to the violence and now we've really got something you'll want to watch".

So the NHRA is taking a 50's "family show" approach on this issue?

C'mon fellas, take a look at any "family show" like American Idol and see how the women are dressed.

With the tight economy and stale growth of interest in drag racing, you need to take advantage of anything that can drive interest and ratings.

These women are doing this for you for free and you're turning them down?

I imagine it has more to do with their current place in the hierarchy of the class. If either becomes a top 10 player then I bet they, and the ladies, will get more air time.
Not saying it's right.

They've been doing the same thing with Leeza Diehl, Jeff Diehl's knockout wife and backup girl, almost going out of their way not to show her.

Did you not see the Seattle (??) Coverage? They talked to her and Jeff, and joked about having her back up John Force when they races as a distraction. Then they showed a view from behind her looking through her legs/boots as a car backed up from the burnout or something similar to that. :eek::eek: :D

I'm not sure they are avoiding showing the women you mentioned but it would add spice to the show.

There's no shortage of showing women such as the Force girls, Kim Anderson, or Erica Enders. But if you watch carefully, there's quite a few women who make it to the tube.

Most of the wives who are on the starting line get air time and that's important because they are the partners in these operations and add some drama to the telecast. Ron Krisher or Warren Johnson's wives have been their number one cheerleaders for years and I mention them as Pro Stock is my favorite class.

At age 56, they all look great to me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back