Whit's opinion... (1 Viewer)

I'll help re-rail it.

As many fires, explosions, burns, cuts, scrapes, and nights living in his trailer as an independant, Whit earned the right to be a dick.

His first few years in a funny car were anything but a cakewalk.

I can post!!! I can post!!!

I agree with Jim J. It was really funny. The MOPAR guys put on a really nice deal every year, and it is a "must see" event.

I also agree with Whit, I've known him for a while now and he's right.

Alan

P.S. Thanks for the drinks, Jim. Next time it's on me.

Whit is a total character. I chat with him now and again and every time I do, he is a totally cool dude. But he is a fierce competetor, and it's tough not to wear your emotions on your sleeve. Look at Capps...he gets ruffled sometimes. I remember Force chasing Lee Beard. I remember Herbert and Millican (and look how funny Clay is...yet he gets worked up like the best of em.)

It was real nice of you to say some good things on here about him. Atleast someone does. We need more postive energy on this board, and I for one am real happy to see you back here.

Speaking of which, how about calling that Texan up and getting his ass back on a bike with Team Discovery and Oakley next year. Retirement my ass. (Tell him I said that.) America needs Lance. If those Frenchies win the tour this year, Im gonna drink myself into a stupor.

See you in Sonoma Brotha!!!!

Whit is a total character. I chat with him now and again and every time I do, he is a totally cool dude. But he is a fierce competetor, and it's tough not to wear your emotions on your sleeve. Look at Capps...he gets ruffled sometimes. I remember Force chasing Lee Beard. I remember Herbert and Millican (and look how funny Clay is...yet he gets worked up like the best of em.)

It was real nice of you to say some good things on here about him. Atleast someone does. We need more postive energy on this board, and I for one am real happy to see you back here.

Speaking of which, how about calling that Texan up and getting his ass back on a bike with Team Discovery and Oakley next year. Retirement my ass. (Tell him I said that.) America needs Lance. If those Frenchies win the tour this year, Im gonna drink myself into a stupor.

See you in Sonoma Brotha!!!!

have no fear, floyd is here.

Could we just imagine the fun Whit would have driving in circle with the other boys, bumpin' and grindin'. Damn! Whit's awesome. We need him. I like him. Like I said before, He moves the needle! Thanks Whit.

That was one of the funniest replies I have heard in a long time! LOL
Thanks for sharing that one Jim. I have always liked Whit the sport is much better with Whit around!

I can post!!! I can post!!!

I agree with Jim J. It was really funny. The MOPAR guys put on a really nice deal every year, and it is a "must see" event.

I also agree with Whit, I've known him for a while now and he's right.

Alan

P.S. Thanks for the drinks, Jim. Next time it's on me.

LOL!!!!! That is funny Alan.
It is good to see you posting again!!

I can see it now on next weeks broacast..................

Gary Gerrel: "Hey Whit, it's been stated on that internet forum that you referred to your own self as a Dick"

Whit Bazemore: "Gary, I don't know where you get your information, but I'm here to win this race"

:D

I can see it now on next weeks broacast..................

Gary Gerrel: "Hey Whit, it's been stated on that internet forum that you referred to your own self as a Dick"

Whit Bazemore: "Gary, I don't know where you get your information, but I'm here to win this race"

:D

Classic Whit reply, I thought. Why be forward and forthcoming when you can be evasive and well, you know! :eek:

Chris DeGidio hit the nail on the head. The ability to laugh at yourself is a very precious commodity.

I'll throw another Whit story out there. Sometime during Columbus (first event after Atlanta), the FC drivers and crew chiefs were out looking at the track and Whit wandered over to chat with a few of the photogs. Someone asked him when he was coming back on our side of the wall. He said he'd love to be on our side of the wall. I asked him WHY????

His answer: You guys have the best job in the world and besides, it's safer over there.....

Whit was one of the first racers I got to know, I've always admired the fact that he says what's on his mind. I'll admit he can go overboard sometimes, but that sure beats the PC attitude so many drivers have adopted anymore.

Cannon & Bazemore

I love Scotty Cannon. To this day. He is a good friend the baddest ass MF on the planet. You think you know someone bad-ass? Not close. Trust me. I'll tell you stories.

So...the year before we joined the DSR camp, Whit made a single finger gesture to Scotty that I thought would lead to Whit's quick death. Whit thought that because there was a distance (at the time) between the two of them that he was safe. The miracle is that Scotty let it roll off his back. I've always liked Scotty. Especially at that moment. Could have been ugly.

Then we joined the DSR team and Whit and Scotty became teammates. The big surprise was that Whit never realized how close he came to getting his ass kicked up and down the block. Times ten. No... times a million. Whit and Scotty began talking and it was amazing how close they became once Scotty realized that Whit was really a good guy, middle finger, mouth and all. Whit and Scotty traded driving tips and mutual support the years they drove together at DSR. And in the end, it never occurred to Scotty to kick Whit's ass... Scotty discovered the other side of Whit, the one that not many people get to see. And Whit is one of the few drivers that really knew Scotty. Two unusual, interesting and important characters of NHRA history.

Jim

I could have Scotty for a next-door-neighbor and love every minute. Unusual but actually awesome in our book. He was nothing less than a great guy to us all here. I'm especially impressed with how he handled the "Tough Times" shall we say enduring the learning curve as it were? I don't see that as a characteristic the other guy demonstrates well but in fairness, I never spent personal time with him like Scotty.

Thanks for the story Jim. Seeing the outcome of Whit and Capps, it's probably lifesaving to know Scotty had such good control of himself.

Last edited:
I suppose looking back on it now, the interview with Whit in the staging lanes at Denver where he told Dave (I think it was) "Well, I don't know where you get your information..." [in regards to what he had said] seems pretty humorous now...

At first, I was just rolling it off and chalking it up as another crappy Whit moment. Perhaps it was just his synical sense of humor kicking in?

Or maybe, he really did just want to deny it. :D

I liked Paul Page's "Well apparently he's had some time to think about it" comment. That did make me laugh. Maybe the one good PP moment we'll get.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back