Whit Bazemore Interview (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Great interview at Complus with Whit. I gotta tell ya', I agree with pretty much everything he says over there. It's a good read.

That had to be one of the best things I've read in a long time. He hits it so dead on balls perfect. God, I miss Whit!!!

Dave

Good 'ol Whit. Brutally honest as always. At least you know where he stands. He might be his own worst enemy, but it hasn't prevented him from leaving his mark on the sport. He's right about the homogenizing of the sport but the thing is it just doesn't translate to TV well enough. Without the real sound and vibrations and smell of nitro racing, it doesn't come across on TV but when you get close to the track and you are a fuel racing junkie, the adrenaline starts pumping at the first cackle you hear. Hard to bottle that without experiencing it. Hope something pans out for Whit for next year and something good this year too. I miss him out there.

I found it interesting his comments on luxury and flashness and getting the big corporate ceo types. Im not a big luxury person or a big flash person don't get me wrong I like nice things but anything can be nice whether it costs $5 or $5000 but why do these big corporate ceo types demand or want the flash huge fancy luxury stuff?

I found it interesting his comments on luxury and flashness and getting the big corporate ceo types. Im not a big luxury person or a big flash person don't get me wrong I like nice things but anything can be nice whether it costs $5 or $5000 but why do these big corporate ceo types demand or want the flash huge fancy luxury stuff?

William, any person that is a CEO of a major corporation whose company is shelling out millions of dollars in sponsorship dollars typically makes close to a million dollars (or more) a year in salary or compensation. People in those circles are accustomed to being pampered and wined and dined, and as Whit pointed out, a drag racing venue that has dirt or grass parking lots and no skyboxes with comfortable seating for viewing along with catered food and drink will not make the grade for a corporate sponsor. I am not endorsing that lifestyle and in many ways I find it detestable, but it is what it is. As Whit stated, Bruton Smith tracks are built with corporate types in mind, whereas a track like Firebird in Phoenix and probably many others on the circuit don't cut the mustard. Gainesville, my closest track, used to be in that category until about 2-3 years ago when they upgraded things like adding skyboxes and upgrading the tower but there is still more to do like upgrading the restroom facilities. I used to think Gainesville was a really nice facility until I traveled to Bristol, one of Bruton Smith's tracks, and attended the Thunder Valley Nationals and I had a whole new perspective on how a drag strip could be built. It was first class in every respect. I still enjoy the Gatornationals at Gainesville, but Bristol was a whole different experience and this year I plan to attend Bruton's newest drag strip in Charlotte, NC to see the Bellagio of drag strip venues.

William, any person that is a CEO of a major corporation whose company is shelling out millions of dollars in sponsorship dollars typically makes close to a million dollars (or more) a year in salary or compensation. People in those circles are accustomed to being pampered and wined and dined, and as Whit pointed out, a drag racing venue that has dirt or grass parking lots and no skyboxes with comfortable seating for viewing along with catered food and drink will not make the grade for a corporate sponsor. I am not endorsing that lifestyle and in many ways I find it detestable, but it is what it is. As Whit stated, Bruton Smith tracks are built with corporate types in mind, whereas a track like Firebird in Phoenix and probably many others on the circuit don't cut the mustard. Gainesville, my closest track, used to be in that category until about 2-3 years ago when they upgraded things like adding skyboxes and upgrading the tower but there is still more to do like upgrading the restroom facilities. I used to think Gainesville was a really nice facility until I traveled to Bristol, one of Bruton Smith's tracks, and attended the Thunder Valley Nationals and I had a whole new perspective on how a drag strip could be built. It was first class in every respect. I still enjoy the Gatornationals at Gainesville, but Bristol was a whole different experience and this year I plan to attend Bruton's newest drag strip in Charlotte, NC to see the Bellagio of drag strip venues.

Yeah I guess it is just something I haven't experianced. I don't even feel comfortable going into rich neighbourhoods I wind up feeling out of place its like a whole other world.

Yeah I guess it is just something I haven't experianced. I don't even feel comfortable going into rich neighbourhoods I wind up feeling out of place its like a whole other world.

It is a whole other world, and it doesn't mean they are any better people than you or I, but they do travel in different circles and are accustomed to all the best things in life. Many forget where they came from and that is not a good thing. People like John Force have made it to the top in the racing world coming from dirt poor, and he knows both sides and his story is an amazing one.

That was a great interview. We need more guys in drag racing like Whit, that always go after it hard and tell it like it is in the process.

Whit, if you're tuned in, please don't give up on getting back involved with the NHRA, the sport really needs you.

Whether you love or hate the man, you have to admire his honesty & straight forwardness. NHRA NEEDS him back.

I agree with what Whit says...to a point.

I was at Pomona today and did my annual walk through the fuel pits. What Whit doesn't discuss is how out of whack the finances of fuel racing are. Does Kenny Bernstein really need three semis and trailers for one car? Hell, Chris Karamasines(sp) out ran Brandon today with one 20 year old trailer and a pickup. NHRA REALLY needs to address car count. Formulating a rules set that allows more guys and their 20 year old trailers to take a shot at a national event will only help the sport. I really believe the public is getting tired of drag racing's three heroes and NASCAR's 20 heroes. They see the same faceless guys every week and they have nothing new to say and no new story lines to share. NASCAR is so terrified by their declining ratings, they are publicly begging their little boys to man up and create controversy.

Now look at the NFL. One of the attractive features of the NFL, along with the stars, are the constant variety of players and stories. Underdogs and unknowns have their day and the public loves it.

Here is a story line for NHRA that terrifies me. The ratings public, oversaturated with Forces(and their cats and scooters) and Schumacher and bored with the whole NHRA experience, crash NHRA's feeble ratings.

Mark

On the Ksvl92 site on the motorsport section theres an interview with gary densham where he talks about the difference in big teams and little teams and how potential sponsors view the two. is quite an interesting interview.

Because they want to know they are investing in a product that takes Image seriously!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back