Bazemore Interview (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
CompPlus has a good interview with Whit. Love him or hate him, I think the points he makes about the sport are spot-on, including how vanilla and PC it has become.

While I'm not a Whit fan at all, I have to say I pretty much agree with everything he said in that article.

Not really a Whit fan here either, but the drag racing world is certainly more boring without him. I would love to see him back out there and that was a pretty good interview.

PS Whit ... buy low and sell high!

I am also a Baze fan. I think that was a great read. At least he tells it like it is...

I'm not a 'fan' of Whit... But...
That was the best read I've had all winter...
I'm with him on 95%...

d'kid

"It was very limiting, and quite frankly, the sport is not in a position of strength where the NHRA can dictate who plays and who doesn’t."

I said this very thing on this board some time ago, almost verbatim, and was almost laughed out of here. It's good to see someone from the inside can also see the obvious.

Sean D

Great article!! I really liked his ideas on the Qualifying...THAT makes a lot of sense and would be a great thing to see...

Sure wish Whit was back in the seat...he is good for the sport!

Terry

As most of you have said, Whit was totally right on with a lot of stuff. Espically the sponsor deals, and bringing back some of the driver tasks just for fun. Once upon a time, there was a combination of different things a driver had to/could do. Leave on time, shift (no shift light--I always think of the John Force/porta-john story) hit the lock up button, get on the high speed lean out lever, then go for the chutes.
You think Force, Del, Hight, and the Pedregons are on a different level now.......:cool:

A very good read from someone who knows what they are talking about.
His idea of qualifying being a combination of 4 runs is certainly an interesting one. It sure would make the qualifying much more interesting, both on TV and for spectators at the track.
Would be great to see him back out there, there are too many 'puppets' out there now that show no emotion.

his idea about qualifying has been discussed before and could
easily be implemented at 2-4 2009 nat. events as a trial.
i nominate brainerd as guinea pig.

I can't believe I'm even saying this (but, I've said alot of things in the last 12 monts that I thought I'd never hear myself say) but I couldn't agree with Whit more. heck, I'm even leaving out the Dim part!

I thought his Qualifying idea was very interesting, his view of the health of the sport was dead on, even his view from the outside looking in was great; I bet it is something that most drivers don't get to see.

WTG Whit!

I take back what I said about the guy after his last C+ interview.

I am NOT with Whit on the qualifying deal. Let's say Gary Densham shows up at Pomona, runs Friday night in the good air, and fires off a 4.05 ET to qualify in the top half. Gary feels pretty good about that run and parks it until Sunday Eliminations to save money and parts. Under Whit's plan, Gary would have to make 3 more runs in qualifying to stay in top half ... probably just to stay in the field. Qualifying is fine the way it is.

I am with Whit on most everything else. His observations were astute on how small drag racing's audience really is, and how NHRA is not in a position to dictate sponsor dollars to the point of parking teams to protect "exclusive" deals. Rockstar, Monster, VegasFuel and Full Throttle all compete for shelf space in stores (where it ultimately matters the most) ... let them compete on the track and in the pits.

I've never been a fan of Whit's and always got ticked off when he beat Capps, but with that being said, he is missed. The sport needs characters like Whit to shake things up a bit. It would be very boring if we liked every driver and no matter who won, everything is hunky dory and we can sit around the campfire, holding hands singing Kumbaya. NOT in Whit Bazemore's world. He's absolutely right about needing more heated rivalries, not manufactured ones. The rivalry between Whit and Tony Pedregon was a classic. It would be great to have him back in the sport, in FUNNY CAR, not Top Fuel (I never got used to him in T/F). That way I can root against him when he races Capps or Wilk. :D Of course, when he lined up against Force, it was a dog fight. I miss that.

I agree with everything Whit said in the interview except about qualifying. I agree with Chris Cook on that. The Gary Densham example was well put.

While I'm hardly a Whit fan, the qualifying idea is outstanding.

As it is, there is one session where all the fun is, and the rest are futile -- everybody either "strikes the hides" or can't run the number.

Ever brought a newbie to a Saturday session and all anyone can say time and again is "you shoulda been here last night". Not much of an intro to the sport.

I like the idea of a sum of the four, or how about sum of best 3 of 4 (toss out one run of your choice). Or the average? Would make every qualifying session count.

I LOVE IT!

I am NOT with Whit on the qualifying deal. Let's say Gary Densham shows up at Pomona, runs Friday night in the good air, and fires off a 4.05 ET to qualify in the top half. Gary feels pretty good about that run and parks it until Sunday Eliminations to save money and parts. Under Whit's plan, Gary would have to make 3 more runs in qualifying to stay in top half ... probably just to stay in the field. Qualifying is fine the way it is.

What if it was the sum of the best of three sessions? Let Gary toss at least one?

I am with Whit on most everything else. His observations were astute on how small drag racing's audience really is, and how NHRA is not in a position to dictate sponsor dollars to the point of parking teams to protect "exclusive" deals. Rockstar, Monster, VegasFuel and Full Throttle all compete for shelf space in stores (where it ultimately matters the most) ... let them compete on the track and in the pits.

Or pay a HUGE price for the exclusive -- like 20x. Or maybe only get an exclusive if they offer to sponsor something like the <late, great> top fuel shootout, or some other special prize?

as it is, there is one session where all the fun is, and the rest are futile -- everybody either "strikes the hides" or can't run the number.

Ever brought a newbie to a saturday session and all anyone can say time and again is "you shoulda been here last night". Not much of an intro to the sport.

I like the idea of a sum of the four, or how about sum of best 3 of 4 (toss out one run of your choice). Or the average? Would make every qualifying session count.

I love it!

bingo!!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back