Weak IHRA Fuel fields (1 Viewer)

James

Nitro Member
The Boston Mass market is one of the most coveted sports markets in the country. The NFL personally got involved and helped broker a deal to keep the Patriots from moving to Conn. NASCAR as 2 Nextel cup events at Loudon yet for some reason the IHRA can't seem to draw Fuel cars into the area. As I counted yesterday there were 7 AA/FD's and 7 AA/FC's on the grounds. Getting into the show ain't gonna be tough.:rolleyes: Now I'm hard core and would go to see a couple of Nitro lawn tractors match race but if the IHRA wants legitimacy up here in New England they are going to have to fix this problem. You would think that some of the major sponsors would want their teams to come into the Boston area to do some direct marketing here that they can't get with NHRA.

Last year there were 12 AA/FD's trying to get into 8 spots, a better show then what the fans will see this year. Maybe a stragler or two will show up today for the easy money.The uncertainty of the fuel fields is one of the reasons I don't go overboard recommending this event to friends. Hopefully getting Evan Knoll on the board of directors would help fix this problem.

PS. Judging from the Pro Mod, Pro Stock and Alky FC times, New England's racing surface is in it's usual great shape and we should get a good show if Mother Nature cooperates. Doesn't look like we'll get the real killer air until Sunday though.

James,

I share your concerns!
That's why I'm not going. I'll wait for next week @ Reading to get my yearly fix.
I will miss washing the dirt off my vehicle from Neds dust & gravel parking lot.

If you like Pro mod or Pro Stock then this race is for you. If you like fuel cars and you can't go to NJ or PA then at least you'll get a nitro fix.
Unfortunately it would be tough for nhra regulars to head over to Ned, even though they will be sort of near next week at Reading. If they did show at Ned that would mean four races in a row and that would be tiring on the teams, especially after Indy. They need to move this race so it would be no problem for crossovers.
I'm not sure the reasoning why Gilby made it. Maybe he just likes to race.

Give the NHRAs new points system a season or two and your IHRA fields may start to blossom with familiar faces.

I noticed the small fields too. Also noticed that Gilby ran a great 4.78, it seems like Gilby runs better at IHRA events. Congrats to Gilby and his crew on a great run!

I just read on drag race central that Litton hit the wall hard at the top end. If anyone has any updates it would be appreciated.

The "Greek" is in the finals. How cool is that?

I think being sandwiched between Indy and Reading plays into it. Plus, how many Fuel cars are there in the Northeast??:rolleyes:

I think a couple of reasons play into the small field. I

t's a long tow up there.

It comes on the heels of a pretty hectic month. Memphis, Norwalk, Indy plus the Indy testing, then Reading the week after.

seven fuel funny cars at new england dragway is more than they had last year. hope you enjoyed it james!

seven fuel funny cars at new england dragway is more than they had last year. hope you enjoyed it james!

This is true. Had a couple of newbies attend with us Saturday night and they seemed to really enjoy themselves so maybe it's not as big of deal as I think.

NED sure has changed ya gotta come up and see the place, you won't recognize it!

I was told Ostrander was frustrated with teh season so far, so he decided to skip.

Where was Cowin? The team said they were going to be there.

Densham gave his team the week off, due to too many weeks on the road.

It was a shame they had weak fields, but the Pro Stock and Pro Modified fields more than made up for it!

If people want to say it was a long drive, look at Glen Kerunsky, Trevor Lesback, Kenny Lang and Art Hodges.........they were there.
Good story on Hodges, on Friday at 1pm he was in Indy with his motor on Steve Schmidt's dyno....showed up in Epping at 9pm (excellent time), pitted next to us in the Sportsman pits, due to lack of room and made two runs on Saturday and didn't make the show, hung out Sunday.....very nice people.

I was told Ostrander was frustrated with teh season so far, so he decided to skip.

Where was Cowin? The team said they were going to be there.

I thought Zizzo was supposed to finish out the year on tour?

Densham gave his team the week off, due to too many weeks on the road.

It was a shame they had weak fields, but the Pro Stock and Pro Modified fields more than made up for it!

If people want to say it was a long drive, look at Glen Kerunsky, Trevor Lesback, Kenny Lang and Art Hodges.........they were there.
Good story on Hodges, on Friday at 1pm he was in Indy with his motor on Steve Schmidt's dyno....showed up in Epping at 9pm (excellent time), pitted next to us in the Sportsman pits, due to lack of room and made two runs on Saturday and didn't make the show, hung out Sunday.....very nice people.

This is true. Had a couple of newbies attend with us Saturday night and they seemed to really enjoy themselves so maybe it's not as big of deal as I think.

NED sure has changed ya gotta come up and see the place, you won't recognize it!
I know James you say that every year :cool:

one of these years i'll listen to you!

I should start planning now. fly southwest into manchester from orlando - piece of cake right.

Its a damn shame that the cars that were there did not run except the four for the 2nd qualifier this WILL CHANGE if I was in the croud I would want a part refund for the ticket I baught!!!!!!! The small nitro car count what do ya do after Indy cant blame the teams its alot of racing but again the cars that did not run and I fund the class and or the team that makes me real sad. Watch for changes comming soon!!!!!!! Thanks Evan.

Its a damn shame that the cars that were there did not run except the four for the 2nd qualifier this WILL CHANGE if I was in the croud I would want a part refund for the ticket I baught!!!!!!! The small nitro car count what do ya do after Indy cant blame the teams its alot of racing but again the cars that did not run and I fund the class and or the team that makes me real sad. Watch for changes comming soon!!!!!!! Thanks Evan.

Evan, thanks for replying to the thread. Do you think reapportioning (is that a word?) the points fund so more money goes to the 4 through 10 spots might make it worth while for the guys in those positions to show up at more races? Just a thought from the spectator side of the fence.

I have noticed that on the broadcasts from several of the IHRA events. I do believe though that it will continue to improve, especially as the NHRA continues to alienate the lesser funded teams and fans.
I really think that the Tulsa event next year will be a pretty big deal, a long history of huge events with a fan base that will support it should create what will become a successful yearly happening. The central location and now superb facility should keep the fans filling the stands. I can't wait myself. It takes me less than 15 minutes to get there. Sure beats the 4 and half hours to Dallas! :)

Wow!

Wow! The big cheese himself has spoken!:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back