Wale & Candies? (1 Viewer)

Reading this reminded me of my old drag racing days at LaPlace LA. The following anecdote was over 50 years ago so my memory is a little hazy but I think I got all the details correct.

The most famous local AA fuel dragster team was the Candies - Hughes racing team and Q Ball Wales was their driver. This was a crowded meet because the most famous nationally known driver, Don Garlits with his Swamp Rat dragster was to be competing.

It came down to Don and Q ball would be in the final heat for the big money and the bets were on. Finally, Don boasted that he could beat Q ball without using the lights. That Q Ball could just start when he wanted and Don would then go. They agreed to that bet. Don did the burn out and stopped at the line waiting for Q ball. Q Ball did the burn out but didn't stop as Don expected. He had such a big headstart by the time Don realized what was happening that Don could not catch him and so Q Ball beat Don for the Deep South Championship.

Sadly, not long after that, Q Balls chute failed to open in the finals of another race in Monroe and he died tragically.

Dave, you sir are one of a few announcing heroes, I heard you call so many shows, just so good. I have learned so much from you and I hope it has helped me in my announcing career, thank you for your brilliance, yep, you were that good.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back