Wale & Candies? (1 Viewer)

Boo

Nitro Member
I was on NHRA's website reading about the Cacklefest cars that will be at the Winternationals. One car that is making its debut is the Wale & Candies car which will be driven by Pat Foster. I know Pat was working on restoring the Candies & Hughes 1975(or maybe 1976) dragster. Is this the same car? Sorry but I don't know who Wale is?

Gary,

A proclaimed Cajun that doesn't know of Q-Ball?

Before the Candies and Hughes team...in the early Paleolithic period of drag racing<VBG>, Paul was teamed with a very talented driver known as Q-Ball Wales...from the N.O. area.

They ran a number of different cars, and if the one debuting at the WN is the car I am thinking of...I had the pleasure of announcing its debut performance on a bitterly cold, windy day at Opelousas back in the very early '60s. If it is, it was built originally by Wayne Ewing and was unique in a way in that the front axle ran between the frame rails. In fact, I have a good bit of footage of that day at Opelousas.

Unfortunately, as my memory serves, Q-Ball lost his life in a racing accident.

All of the above is subject to my memory, which at times can be evasive.

If any of this is wrong, please feel free to correct me. Will be looking forward to seeing Paul C. and the car at Pomona.

MaC

Mac,
You constantly amaze me with your memory of all things drag racing. You've sure been an asset to those of us with lesser memories.

Hey Mac................Let us know when you have an hour or seven to just sit back and bench race. You are too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Late................Mitch(who @ 52 would still like to be a gofer for any team in the fuel pits!)

Thanks to all for the kind words. Just havin' fun remembering!!!

Did a quick google and came up with the following address. Scroll down a ways to find the shot of Candies and Wales racing at LaPlace. This was in '64 and that's when I think they debuted the car in that late January at Opelousas.

Cupit & Cunninham Dragster

Neat car...great shots of stuff that went on in that era. Glenn Cupit comes to most of the reunions and was in the process of restoring one of his old cars.

Enjoy and thanks again.

MaC

Dave,
LOL, thanks for clearing up my fuzzy Cajun Mind. I do remember reading about Q-Ball Wales(that was before my time of course ;) I was 9 yrs old in 1964 ). I had thought that he died in a racing accident in Baton Rouge but I too could be wrong. For some reason I was stuck on the news that I had heard that Pat Foster was restoring the 1975-76 rear engine car of Candies & Hughes and I thought that was the car they were speaking of. But now this makes a little more sense. Thanks for helping out........

P.S. I did the same search on google and came up with that link.....You see you stayed down here long enough to become an honorary cajun...you think like us.LOL

Last edited:
Gary,

I am not sure it is the Ewing car...tried to get that info but nobody seemed sure. There is a strong possiblity it is the world champion car...the '64 front motor Ewing may no longer exist. Shame if it isn't still around.

Q-Ball was killed in a final round race in Monroe, LA. If you scroll down a ways in the Cupit and Cunningham website there are several references to the accident and the aftermath. As noted, he died in 1965 and was not in the Ewing car at the time of the accident.

Either way, great that Paul is having a car readied for viewing by everyone. He was truly one of the national super star owners of the era and a genuinely nice guy.

Everyone stay well.

MaC

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Dave. That is awesome stuff right there, I grew up at Twin City Drags in Monroe, LA... My dad was Louisana state champ in the late '70s in class racing...

With that chute pack and injector that car reminds me of the OBD NE1 dragster that was lost on the way to Vegas in 2004....cool little car.

Me again,

Just had a thought. It is listed on the website as the Candies and Wales car that will be debuting in the cacklefest.

With Q-Ball's death coming in 1965...that would mean it would have to be a car earlier than that...which in my feeble mind, would rule out the World Championship rear motored car.

My..what a tangled web a mind can create!!! Guess I'll ask Greg Sharp or Steve Gibbs tonite at a big dinner celebrating the 75 most significant '32 Fords. Hope they know<G>.

MaC

Dave,
Thats why I was confused. I didn't know of anyone named Wale being assoicated with the Candies & Hughes rear engine car of that time frame(75-76). And I had read about Pat being almost finished with restoring that car(see link below). Regardless let us know what you find out. Thanks

Candies & Hughes restoration

Last edited:
I'd like to cut Hanna, Youngblood and perhaps Alan Johnson (for a touch of reality) loose on a design for Top Fuel today. It might not 'work' instantly but it sure as hell wouldn't be butt ugly. Myself, Hanna, Youngblood and Jobe (again, for that touch of reality!) might come up with an NTF rig that would 'work' and not make you blow chunks when you looked at it![/COLOR]

The above quote comes from Pat Foster and the link referenced above.

Foster, Hanna, 'Blood, Jobe, & AJ,,, a genuine think tank with skills to transfer thoughts to reality. I would LOVE to see the finished product.

Ah, to dream,,,,,,

Unk

Last edited:
Unk...I thought only old men like me had dreams like that, you whippersnapper!!! Stay well and hope you have a great year.

Gary and all...tonite at the gathering of the 75 most signficant 32 Fords, a great display, I was able to confirm that BOTH the World Champion car of Candies and Hughes with Richard Tharp up and the 1964 Wayne Ewing car of Candies and Wales will be at the Winternationals and the museum. Both were redone by Pat Foster and along with Dale Armstrong, should be starting the front motored car within the next 7 days. That Ewing car is the one Pat will drive in the Cacklefest.

Hows that for quick reporting<VBG>. Oughta go back into the news business, NOT.

Saw Wally at the affair tonite....still having great difficulty getting around but sharp as can be. Celebrated his 94th birthday two days ago on the 23rd.

Sat at the same table with Phil Hill. His health is not real good but he did remember me from when I emceed "A Night with Phil Hill" at the Petersen Museum a couple of years ago. Unbelievable night.

Wow, am I a name dropper or what!!!

To all, it has been fun talking about the cars and the era...discussions like this make it seem like it was only a couple of months ago. Sigh.

MaC

Dave..you are the undisputed "Man"..pure and simple.

We all owe you, Steve Evans..and countless others our gratitude for your devotion. (I rode with Steve on a water truck segment for the Knoxville Nationals..LOL)

Reading your posts I can 'hear' you..after a run at a National..your comments..your letting us inside of it all. Last I heard you was Topeka '97. You made it all worth while..with your enhancement and enthusiasm.

Your grace with the written and spoken word is a pleasure to endure.

My humble 'bow' to you Sir.

Thank you for gracing the Mater with your presence..

Dave Mcclelland….. Any chance you might be in Pomona for the Winters this year?? Maybe doing the announcing at the Cackle fest?? :)

Unk...I thought only old men like me had dreams like that, you whippersnapper!!! Stay well and hope you have a great year.

Gary and all...tonite at the gathering of the 75 most signficant 32 Fords, a great display, I was able to confirm that BOTH the World Champion car of Candies and Hughes with Richard Tharp up and the 1964 Wayne Ewing car of Candies and Wales will be at the Winternationals and the museum. Both were redone by Pat Foster and along with Dale Armstrong, should be starting the front motored car within the next 7 days. That Ewing car is the one Pat will drive in the Cacklefest.

Hows that for quick reporting<VBG>. Oughta go back into the news business, NOT.

Saw Wally at the affair tonite....still having great difficulty getting around but sharp as can be. Celebrated his 94th birthday two days ago on the 23rd.

Sat at the same table with Phil Hill. His health is not real good but he did remember me from when I emceed "A Night with Phil Hill" at the Petersen Museum a couple of years ago. Unbelievable night.

Wow, am I a name dropper or what!!!

To all, it has been fun talking about the cars and the era...discussions like this make it seem like it was only a couple of months ago. Sigh.

MaC

Dave,
You are correct, I got a couple of email responses back from Paul Candies that also confirmed your "information gathering" :D at the 75 most significant 32 Fords(that must have been a sight!) Paul said the 76 rear engine car is for display at the museum and the "Q-Ball" car will cackle at the Winternats. I think its cool that they are gonna cackle the Q-Ball car, from what I have read about him he was quite the driver for his time. Thanks again!

Brian, I plan on being at Pomona...but not for the entire event. Mostly Friday afternoon and early Sunday morning. Doubt if I will be doing any announcing.

However,!!! mark your calendar, the good Lord willing, I will be doing the cacklefest's and the receptions at both the National and California Hot Rod Reunions. Hope to see you there.

Thanks.

MaC

Mac...good to 'see' you on the board.

You may remember me from a Division 5 TAG seminar (1998?) in Kansas City. You found out I'm a big KC Chiefs fan, and rode me hard in the seminar, and at that evening's awards banquet. I learned a TON that day, and still go back to some of those notes I took and the instructions you gave me. Loads of fun, and great memories....

Ah that would be the good old days!
God I still remember long lines of fuelers both single and multi engined.
By today's standards they were tame but what they lacked in the fast department was more than made up by all nighters just to get through the ranks.
I'm also happy the new cars are much safer than the old ones. They need to be!
Dave you can air your memory anytime you want.
Everything that goes on the internet is supposed to be around forever including all my spelling mistakes and improper grammar, so sometime in the future someone will wonder how candies and fuel could be used in the same line and Dave's words might shed light on the subject.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back