Video Cams at National Events? (1 Viewer)

Fast Al

Nitro Member
Its been a while since I have attended a national, and I know there have been some restrictions on the use of video cameras. I did a search, and didn't find anything, but I do recall reading something about it in the past. Can someone bring me up to date as to the use of a video cam by a spectator. Thanks in advance! al

I think as long as you use them for your own personal videos or pictures, that's fine, but they don't want them sold to the news companies or other places. There was an issue with people selling/giving Scott Kalitta crash pictutes to the media, and I think it came about after that.

The nhra actually runs a disclaimer over the audio system during national events saying that all photo,and video Is for personal use only.

The nhra actually runs a disclaimer over the audio system during national events saying that all photo,and video Is for personal use only.

What this means is the NHRA has the right to file a DMCA take down notice on any amateur video posted on video sharing sites like Youtube or photo sharing sites like Webshots. When this happens the website has no choice but to take the content down otherwise they could face legal action.

But, just because they can doesn't mean they should. DMCA'ing photos and videos people took with their own personal cameras would really be a below-the-belt shot to fans who pay good money (read: ticket prices are too high) to attend the events.

I thought something different when reading the title of this post.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a streaming web cam for each race? Or do they have it already for members or something?

Wouldn't it be cool to have a streaming web cam for each race? Or do they have it already for members or something?

Not the I'M aware of. Probably won't happen unless they can work some revenue stream (Commercials) in there.

Not likely that will happen, ESPN has control of anything on video that happens on-track.

Not likely that will happen, ESPN has control of anything on video that happens on-track.

IIRC a number of year back NHRA wanted to run a web cam at an event. Might have been long enough ago that it was a cam that took pics at certain intervals, not even streaming, and the ESPN thing squashed it.

Does anyone recall a situation a few years ago where a member here at the Mater had posted some links to some home videos they had shot at a national event and the NHRA basically served them with a cease and desist order?

Surprising since NHRA still pays them to air it!
What a great deal! Pay nothing out of pocket and still have all the rights!
NHRA sure has some bright bulbs running the show....LOL

They can't even get the real time option going on their website let alone having a web cam! :p

Mike Ashley tried to broadcast a live video feed of interviews with drivers and report on qualifying and such...Skull Factor TV if I recall right... Brian Olson did the broadcasts live about 4 times a day...but it got nixxed by NHRA and ESPN for infringing on their exclusive broadcasting rights...
FYI

Its been a while since I have attended a national, and I know there have been some restrictions on the use of video cameras. I did a search, and didn't find anything, but I do recall reading something about it in the past. Can someone bring me up to date as to the use of a video cam by a spectator. Thanks in advance! al

You can take your video camera in and shoot what ever you want. It just has to be for personal use. There is a lot of footage on the web shot at national events and truth be told NHRA has been very lenient about that. Try to post bootleg concert audio or video and see how that goes for you. If I remember correctly the only time they have really come down on people was when Scott was killed and that effort was unsuccessful.
Dan

Drag racing videos on YouTube is like free advertising to get people to go to NHRA races if you ask me. If they were removed it would be to the detriment of the NHRA. Once a show is aired it's gone, but YouTube videos can be replayed all over the world.

Here's one of my fav's. Daniel Oliver almost takes out Steve Harker at Pomona in 2008...

YouTube - Steve Harker VS. Daniel Oliver Real close Pomona 2008

Here's another great video. I think this might be Bob Frey when he was left alone in his stroller at WalMart a couple years ago:

YouTube - wal mart baby

I remember a couple years ago ESPN 360 did for the last few events a Live Webcam when it basically taped it all as it happened, so you would see an interview at the top end w/Gary and then it would go back to the "Tree cam" and then when they were back to airing they show that clip again and splice it into the broadcast, and when the alky cars happened you got Dave & Bob in the booth and with everything else you got to see in random cams. Last year they made it simulate w/the TV Broadcast commercials and all which i thought was lame except for those who can't watch the TV broadcast but have CPU & Internet and can watch it there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back