Vegas entry list (1 Viewer)

Come on you guys. "Leakers & Slackers" ? How can you insult racers like that ? How can you not respect someone that probably pours their heart and soul into ANY drag racing dream ?? To run ANY fuel car even for one event must cost a fortune ! You can be sure that even part-time racers take it VERY seriously, especially considering the cost. And if they break or oil the track, you can be certain that they feel terrible. There have ALWAYS been part-time teams ! And with the (not always popular, but necessary) measures that NHRA has taken to keep the lower-budget teams closer to big-buck teams, the part-time racers are more competitive than ever. Look at the BVR cars the last couple of years or Zizzo last weekend. Personally, I have always rooted for the underdog. We go to Seattle every year and love watching guys like Ron Smith, Terry Haddock, Jeff Diehl, Gary Densham, etc. Yes, we may sometimes have short fields, but that is nothing new either. Remember the 1984 Springnationals when only 12 Top Fuelers showed up ? As for Schumacher being MIA, remember 1986 when the Snake had to sit out with no sponsor ? As for Seattle, this event competes with the older and bigger Seafair boat races the same weekend and still gets good crowds (although I do admit I also would love to see the return of Friday night-time qualifying, with the help of portable lighting like Indy has). Don't panic and show some respect.

as for no national events? if todays fans seen a event bill put on, few ppl would go to national events. does anyone think bill would tolerate stop n go cars taking up track time? i was a arlie langlo fan. my point on leakers and slackers is they make the field. let cowie / joey run in the T/F class on there budget. just why cant they play with fuel cars?? seeking a real answer as 2 T/F cars here in seattle will be put in the transporter first round. T/AD are not as quick, but the consistency of those cars will give any T/F car something to be concerned about. lose a hole, smoke the tires, valve hangs, etc. and you get a perfect view of J and A parachutes in full bloom and a car on a fragment of a T/F budget gets the T/F payout. rivalry in days of old drew crowds. when we have a erica/mcgaha issue, advertise they will match up 2 out of 3 in qualifying to settle it. gone are the names of cars and the battle of the breweries. all of which created big time entertainment. in short, everything that got me addicted to the sport as a child is gone but nitric acid fumes in the air. bill would put all the floppers on the track and have them start up at the same time. just look at this pic taken from the top of the tower. bill, i thank you. NOBODY in this sport has created half the havoc you did. i damn sure will NEVER forget you.

Attachments

• 12004026_1052297988134517_6075053142738823219_n.jpg
    12004026_1052297988134517_6075053142738823219_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Dave, Doner was certainly a very successful promoter, but rest assured what worked for him back then wouldn’t be guaranteed to work today. It’s a different world from the ‘70s-‘80s, and that applies to everything. Considering how much things have changed over the past few decades, I think Drag Racing is doing pretty well. And yes, I’m aware of all the problems. There were problems back then too. With regards to promoters, I’d say the Baders do a pretty amazing job in the modern era. There are more, the Bandimere family for example.

as for no national events? if todays fans seen a event bill put on, few ppl would go to national events. does anyone think bill would tolerate stop n go cars taking up track time? i was a arlie langlo fan. my point on leakers and slackers is they make the field. let cowie / joey run in the T/F class on there budget. just why cant they play with fuel cars?? seeking a real answer as 2 T/F cars here in seattle will be put in the transporter first round. T/AD are not as quick, but the consistency of those cars will give any T/F car something to be concerned about. lose a hole, smoke the tires, valve hangs, etc. and you get a perfect view of J and A parachutes in full bloom and a car on a fragment of a T/F budget gets the T/F payout. rivalry in days of old drew crowds. when we have a erica/mcgaha issue, advertise they will match up 2 out of 3 in qualifying to settle it. gone are the names of cars and the battle of the breweries. all of which created big time entertainment. in short, everything that got me addicted to the sport as a child is gone but nitric acid fumes in the air. bill would put all the floppers on the track and have them start up at the same time. just look at this pic taken from the top of the tower. bill, i thank you. NOBODY in this sport has created half the havoc you did. i damn sure will NEVER forget you.

Dave,

I'm not arguing at all that Donor put on a HELL of a SHOW! But, I'm a racer, and what Bill did was a show, not a race. Yes, I get it. the "Winner" got a couple more $ than the "losers", but the reality is that they were all there to put on a show. And that's how they made a living and stayed on the road, putting on a show. Then as now there were guys there trying to win, and guys there for the show up money. So if you're talking "I have a racetrack in Seattle and want to get fans to come see a show." Call Bill. Then call all the teams and see what it costs these days to get 64 Funny Cars to Seattle or even 8. And tell me how many tickets you will need to sell to break even. As I said before, times change.

As for TADs running Top Fuel, I guess it depends on whether you are a RACER. Because every RACER I know wants to win, not just to be a novelty. Every real RACER I know in TAD would rather have his or her ass kicked by someone playing by the same TAD rules, than maybe beat a guy with a TF car simply because that guy screwed up.

Alan

Arlie Langlo.😁 the king of strokes. Crawl back in your hole, this is racing not a show.

It sounds to me like National events is not Daves cup of tea...but Bakersfield has his name all over it twice a year. I personally enjoy both, National events and the Bakersfield nozi cars.:D

NHRA did a poor job scheduling a Div 4 regional the same week as the National in Las Vegas.

Vegas is a long drive for Div 4 racers, I'm sure if you ask them they would prefer regional dbl hitter. Besides they have plenty on nationals to attend still early in season. Div 7 has a lot of racers to fill Vegas race.

I am VERY glad I grew up in the "right place at the right time" around Seattle International Raceway. I went to 64 Funny Cars twice (don't think 64 ever showed up) and 32 funny cars a couple times. The 64 car cacklefest lined up down the first 1/8 mile was awesome to a teenage kid. Rowdy fans so close to the track they had to shut off the lights until everyone calmed down. The antics of the drivers was part of the show. Jerry Ruth (verbally) fighting with Doner on the starting line. The full track burnouts. SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Then the NHRA brought in the Fallnationals and it seems like the excitement dropped a couple notches. Then they figured out it always rains in the fall in Seattle....

Greg Carrillo is a home town Phoenix racer, so gotta root for him. He has come up thru the ranks, used to run S/C. I believe he was the S/C champ once, or maybe 2X. It is nice to see him run.
While Greg has been a Valley of the Sun guy - he's been in Colorado for quite some time now. Also, I don't think he ever won a championship - perhaps a National or Divisional event or two in Super Gas/Super Comp.

I think Greg grew up in Colorado but has been living in Phoenix for many years, and I believe still does.

I think Greg grew up in Colorado but has been living in Phoenix for many years, and I believe still does.

Yeah, not quite sure about his comings and goings - fan club mail in Phoenix, shop in Fort Morgan, Colorado...perhaps he's a snowbird...lol

Vegas is a long drive for Div 4 racers, I'm sure if you ask them they would prefer regional dbl hitter. Besides they have plenty on nationals to attend still early in season. Div 7 has a lot of racers to fill Vegas race.
But racers like Kris Hool and Annie Whitley will be at the divisional instead of possibly coming to Vegas for the National. Make it separate weekends and maybe they do both.

I saw that too. I didn’t realize that she isn’t on the entry list for any of the upcoming races. I’m guessing she will be at most of the races. On the entry list, Mopar is not listed as the sponsor for Las Vegas.

But racers like Kris Hool and Annie Whitley will be at the divisional instead of possibly coming to Vegas for the National. Make it separate weekends and maybe they do both.
Texas and Heartland both do doubles, from racers I talked to they like it.

Texas and Heartland both do doubles, from racers I talked to they like it.
I know the sportsman love the races where they can get 2 races in one weekend. I was referring to the Alky racers though. They don’t get the two races in one weekend.

Arlie Langlo.😁 the king of strokes. Crawl back in your hole, this is racing not a show.

I find it funny how he says all leakers should stay home and then mentions he was a fan of Arley Langlo the king of explosions and fire in Top Fuel, speaking of which what is Arley up to now a days, I remember reading he was running some Bonneville stuff a few years back.

I sort of ripped Dave but I guess I cant fault Dave for looking back fondly at the old days and days of his childhood. I do the same thing sometimes with NASCAR, I have been a NASCAR fan a lot longer than I have drag racing and there are times I look back to how NASCAR was in my childhood and miss the driver personalities, the cars and the competition and I feel everything is stale. But I also realize that we cant go back to the way things were if you want to advance and stay relevant in the ever changing world. I do believe the NHRA has done a better job at trying new things that work more than NASCAR but that is a another long topic in of itself

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back