Vandergriff racing (1 Viewer)

There's no mystery here. Racing can be a profitable business. If it costs X to compete for a year, you need to raise more than X in sponsorship money. The overage is your profit. Any purse money is frosting on the cake. This is true in all racing. Without being underwritten by outside money, no race team can make money. There can never be purses large enough. The other option is, pick the class you can run within your budget, from TF on down, and enjoy your hobby. I may be oversimplifying, but you guys get it.

Please show me ONE racing "business" that shows a profit.
Please show me any other business where someone hands you x million dollars a year and you do not have to make any ROI and then the next year they give you x million more.
Maybe just maybe thats why there are only 16 active teams, bad ROI.
Well Minus Jim Head, self funded, Tim Wilkersons best friend from high school, who became very successful, funds Tims racing. Kallitta, DHL you think that might have to do with Kallita flying their freight all over the world? Torrence, self funded. Beckman, TJ, charity. Scott Palmer, a couple of rich guys playing. Karamasene, Novelli, self funded.
so maybe 10 cars are actually sponsored "businesses"??
I understand your point, they do have to go rounds and be successful giving their sponsors airtime.
Yes it is more complex than this.
I believe it was Don Schumaker that said, " my Dad told me to never use the businesses money to go racing, it will cause the business to fail."
Other Peoples Money.
As my Dad told me in his motorcycle career, when you write the check, kiss it goodbye because you are never going to see it again.
Do you think that Budweiser would sponsor Kenny Bernstein for 30 years or STP would sponsor Richard Petty for 28 years if they didn't get a pretty good ROI? And do you really think that KB Racing or RP Racing didn't make a pretty good profit during those years? Don Schumacher's dad and your dad were right. If you have to keep spending your own money on any business to keep the doors open then you probably won't be in business very long. Most of the names you mentioned are racing as a hobby not as a business to make their living. The things we do agree on are that you are not going to make a lot of money off of the purses and the ROI is not there like it use to be... and that definitely hurts the car count.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back