Vandergriff racing (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
This was posted on twitter earlier today.

Attachments

• B7E9B1B0-3D67-46CC-8BD3-8DE7BF562B33.jpeg
    B7E9B1B0-3D67-46CC-8BD3-8DE7BF562B33.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 140
10-15 races with 2 cars, that is a nice commitment from a consistently high quality operation

Someone should step up and give them full funding it would be a champion contingent team no doubt.

Last time someone "stepped up and gave them full funding" he shut the doors on everyone unexpectedly and walked away 4 races into the season. That was just 2 years ago.

Last time someone "stepped up and gave them full funding" he shut the doors on everyone unexpectedly and walked away 4 races into the season. That was just 2 years ago.
Isn’t that after his major sponsor died unexpectedly?

Bob Vandergriff took heat for shutting down his doors a couple of years ago, but when Josh Comstock, one of the big shots at C&J that was biggest supporters of BVR unexpectedly died, and since C&J was heavily involved with the oil industry, which at the time the oil industry was tanking, it was a perfect storm for the money for sponsorship to go away.

BV seems to be a smart businessman .... you guys realize he could personally fund two full time teams without much of a thought right? He just chooses to treat it as a business independent of his other businesses.

BV seems to be a smart businessman .... you guys realize he could personally fund two full time teams without much of a thought right? He just chooses to treat it as a business independent of his other businesses.
What other businesses is he in?

yes he is that is why he gets other people to pay for his racing "business"
A business is something you make an investment in expecting a return
Racing is a "business" that no matter how great you are you lose money.

What other businesses is he in?
People who own businesses that sell to the general public are sometimes careful to separate their personal name from their product brands. That said, use your head man. If you hustle a little, transition and adapt to the privacy concerns of the internet age, you could probably figure one of them out with a hamburger in one hand while pecking on your keyboard with the other.

Last edited:
Ken, you've confused "investment" with "business" ..... a business is regularly offering a product or service to a customer or client (customers buy products, clients buy services).

I know Bob's dad has owned Hedman for many years, I wasn't sure about Bob's involvement or if the company had maybe been sold. I believe Bob's brother Chris has been directly involved in Hedman Headers for a long time.

Sorry, but I disagree. A Professional race team is just like any business… your customer "which in this case are sponsors" are paying for a service. Kenny Bernstein and Don Prudhomme made a very nice income running a racing business. But when the money dried up and it wasn't profitable any more they were smart enough to close the racing business down and retire pretty comfortably. John Force has a pretty nice house up on the hill in Yorba Linda because of a profitable racing business. But you have to be smart and run it just like any business and know when to pull the plug.

Last edited:
Please show me ONE racing "business" that shows a profit.
Please show me any other business where someone hands you x million dollars a year and you do not have to make any ROI and then the next year they give you x million more.
Maybe just maybe thats why there are only 16 active teams, bad ROI.
Well Minus Jim Head, self funded, Tim Wilkersons best friend from high school, who became very successful, funds Tims racing. Kallitta, DHL you think that might have to do with Kallita flying their freight all over the world? Torrence, self funded. Beckman, TJ, charity. Scott Palmer, a couple of rich guys playing. Karamasene, Novelli, self funded.
so maybe 10 cars are actually sponsored "businesses"??
I understand your point, they do have to go rounds and be successful giving their sponsors airtime.
Yes it is more complex than this.
I believe it was Don Schumaker that said, " my Dad told me to never use the businesses money to go racing, it will cause the business to fail."
Other Peoples Money.
As my Dad told me in his motorcycle career, when you write the check, kiss it goodbye because you are never going to see it again.

Only a fool would get involved here. Bob will end up running off a top driver, then using that crew himself. It is not like he hasn't done it before.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back