Up front: Racing is killing drag racing (1 Viewer)

Asher is spot on. Talked with him briefly between rounds and he was so impressed by this event. He has seen it all, and just watching him smile and interact with everyone at the event was cool. Kid in a candy store comes to mind. The Norwalk event is so unique (but why) and its amazing how much "fun" it was. Spotted Antron Brown walking toward us in the staging lanes and asked him what he was doing here. He was very engaging and said he had heard so much about this event and he wanted to experience it for himself. His eyes were full of wonderment and he was truly excited to be here. His exact quote was "we need the NHRA suits to come to this event and learn something". As we were finishing up our conversation, Bill Bader Jr is coming up to talk with Antron, now this is minutes before the start of the event, and he shakes our hand, thanks us for coming, ask where we are from and apologizes for interrupting our conversation with AB and encourages us to finish our conversation. Mind you, we are in the staging lanes, just average fans that have followed the sport for 30 years, and two of the main people on the property treat us like we were important. Its time to put some "Fun" back on the National event side of things. I disagree with Jon on one thing, he says "we need to do this before it's too late", it might already be. Antron, Billy Jr, and Asher made this a great event and one I will always remember.

nice post randy

the Baders do their thing with their great annual event NOF, as well as host a great nat. event that has quickly become a must go.
the Bandimeres do their thing with their great annual nat. event
the Cophams do their thing with their great annual nat. event (BIR)

the present NHRA nat. event is very entertaining with a wide variety of racing, displays, souvenirs and concessions; but there is
always room for improvement and certainly at the tracks they own where they have no help from an outside owner to maximize event profit.

there are nat. event track owners on the tour that just get it, their success formulas vary, but the unifying factor
is they provide additional entertainment and enjoyment to the paying customer over and above what NHRA provides.
they sell an experience that supersedes the race itself.

just have a feeling the new england race will suddenly become an average race that everyone has to attend too.

Last edited:
well lets see Barry and Joe I guess I will just post to meet ur requirements NHRA suits are so great I just hope one day I can grow up and follow in their footsteps,, NHRA drag racing is just f%&king great no changes need to be made,, the current show is so wonderful,,, I hope the current drivers are the only ones that can get seats and keep them,, we don't need any new drivers in the show,, hope this meets ur post expectations I am so sorry sayin anything negative about NHRA, hey guys ever thought that is why I quit racin TAD,, so I exercised my right not to race NHRA for now, damn imagine that:eek:

guy-- you know thats not what we are saying. if you ran a TAD you gotta be a smart person so dont degrade my comments with a non answer. NHRA drag racing is not perfect but like someone once said about our government-- "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else that has been tried'
So lets acknowledge that and talk about the good things that NHRA is doing and what needs to change.
But for the people here that seem to hate it all, what are they doing here???

I agree with what was said. NHRA and the Nostalgia Races, (funny car & TF), that I've attended, are just flat boring. I really expected a little showmanship, from the Nostalgia rigs. You know, long burn outs. Dry hops. But, they have gone the way of "The Big Show". Notice the word "show"? There's no show at all, anymore.
Oh well, that's why I go to my local track, and see real drag races, with racers, that are having fun. And run my rig, occasionally. Not go and watch something that looks like reruns of all the previous races.

Try Marion County in Marion Ohio this Sat. - Night show - long b/o's - I've seen some of these cars go past the finish line after a burnout, - and yes DRY-HOPS. 20+ nostalgia FC's only $20.

b careful sam need to ask barry and joe if ur post is ok,,mite b to negative not allowed to post unless its positive about NHRA

Since I'm not an NHRA fanboy, I guess I need to read up on the do's and don'ts of posting. Can you send them along to me?

"It's medication time......it's medication time...." - Nurse Ratched

kevin-knauer-albums-my-pics-picture3271-nurseratched.jpg

Me, I couldn't agree more about wanting the drivers to speak their minds. Fans don't want to hear Driver A recite three sponsors every time he/she gets interviewed. They want to hear stuff like Beadle to Pulde after a 6.09-6.11 win: "I knew Dale would run 240 or better on me, but he didn't pass me". Or the Snake simply stating: "It was just too stout and blew the tires off".

About long burnouts/wheelstanding runs, etc. Of course I'd like to see 'em, but I also want .70s from Top Fuel and .0s from Funny Car. I'd never expect Joe Tuner to just pour the coals to it at the risk of a DNQ or an eliminations loss, simply to "put on a show".

Me, I couldn't agree more about wanting the drivers to speak their minds. Fans don't want to hear Driver A recite three sponsors every time he/she gets interviewed. They want to hear stuff like Beadle to Pulde after a 6.09-6.11 win: "I knew Dale would run 240 or better on me, but he didn't pass me". Or the Snake simply stating: "It was just too stout and blew the tires off".

About long burnouts/wheelstanding runs, etc. Of course I'd like to see 'em, but I also want .70s from Top Fuel and .0s from Funny Car. I'd never expect Joe Tuner to just pour the coals to it at the risk of a DNQ or an eliminations loss, simply to "put on a show".

If a driver actually gets an interview and doesn't mention the sponsor, the sponsor will go bye-bye or the driver will be replaced by a shoe that will recite the sponsors names every time. It's just the business these days.

I am torn on the show versus race aspect ... I love half track burn outs, but I also love 3.78 versus 3.79 both guys over 320 MPH. At the end of the day, I am there to see a good race, but I recognize they need the show aspect for some folks.

And to Barry's point, if I have ever come across that I don't love NHRA Big Show drag racing, then I want to apologize. Sometimes I criticize, and I can split frog hairs with the best of them, but I am sitting here right now shaking with anticipation of the US Nationals as one week from tonight I will be in the campground sitting by the fire after having made the rounds through the pits to see friends old and new, getting ready for first rounds on Friday! I can't wait!

If a driver actually gets an interview and doesn't mention the sponsor, the sponsor will go bye-bye or the driver will be replaced by a shoe that will recite the sponsors names every time. It's just the business these days.

I am torn on the show versus race aspect ... I love half track burn outs, but I also love 3.78 versus 3.79 both guys over 320 MPH. At the end of the day, I am there to see a good race, but I recognize they need the show aspect for some folks.

And to Barry's point, if I have ever come across that I don't love NHRA Big Show drag racing, then I want to apologize. Sometimes I criticize, and I can split frog hairs with the best of them, but I am sitting here right now shaking with anticipation of the US Nationals as one week from tonight I will be in the campground sitting by the fire after having made the rounds through the pits to see friends old and new, getting ready for first rounds on Friday! I can't wait!

Chris, I definitely understand about the sponsor needing "to be taken care of", it just gets boring interview after interview. And while I can slam NHRA with the best of 'em, rest assure that I, too, am HIGHLY stoked for Indy!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back