Up front: Racing is killing drag racing (1 Viewer)

Barry maybe u otta read the 1st amendment,, free speech, u may not like our rants but this is wats nice bout the US, and a public forum. I still like drag racing but don't agree with the NHRA's suits and think some things culd be changed to improved for the fans imagine that:eek:

Guy--anyone is free to express their opinions on this forum. I have no problem with that. what i do question is why some people constantly tell us how horrible things have become and how they dont go to the races anymore how bad the tv show is how cookie cutter the drivers are etc etc ..... So why post on the forum?? If you are that fed up divorce yourself from the sport and leave the forum.

At the very least, Big Show nitro racing needs to return to being able to tip the can. More than any other change NHRA has brought about in my time watching the sport, the reduction in nitro percentage has been the thing that's considerably reduced my enjoyment of going to the track. Heck, the first time I heard 85%, I did a double check to see if I had stumbled into the sportsman pits. It's a bit more tolerable now, but the cars just sound crap compared to burning a full load of pop. Bring back max cackle. Just my $.02...

I remember back in the days when guys like Ricky Ruiz driving Nitro FC where I recalled barely seeing any flame at night from his car or Brent Fanning's Udder Nonsense have the flame dance atop the headers at idle and then no flame for the first 60-330 feet and then the flicker grows as it goes down the track

I agree with what was said. NHRA and the Nostalgia Races, (funny car & TF), that I've attended, are just flat boring. I really expected a little showmanship, from the Nostalgia rigs. You know, long burn outs. Dry hops. But, they have gone the way of "The Big Show". Notice the word "show"? There's no show at all, anymore.
Oh well, that's why I go to my local track, and see real drag races, with racers, that are having fun. And run my rig, occasionally. Not go and watch something that looks like reruns of all the previous races.

Some of the nostalgia cars still do the dry hops, I've seen a couple of the Blown Alky cars at the Funny Car Reunion do that like the Time Bomb Vega among others.

What he said....^^^. I want to go on record by saying I enjoy the Nostalgia cars, mostly for the awesome Cacklefests we see at Indy, hope they do it again this year! But I have noticed an arrogance from the Nostalgia crowd in the last 2-3 years especially! It's like any Drag racing after 1990 is somehow Phony Drag racing, and unless you were there in 1968....1975 whatever, you never saw REAL drag racing! It's as old as the Cival War by now!

The mid 90s was officially the beginning of the end. Even the early 90s when IHRA still had some sort of interest in Nitro FC Racing despite the 1992 failure.

It does not matter how much or how many fans still like current NHRA racing. The problems still exist. The trend is still a down trend.
A better show.
Less expensive cars = more entries.
Reasonable prices for tickets. Look at all the posts on here from hard core fans that want to go and cite expenses as what is keeping them home.

The top people at NHRA seem to not want to make changes to adjust for the state of their business or the world economy around them. They seem satisfied with what they have.

Why do some people feel the need to come on here and tell others to quit posting if they don't like the current state of NHRA?
Are the people happy with NHRA the only ones allowed an opinion (and that's all it is) on the 'mater?
Nobody is suggesting a return to the '60s and '70s when the sport was more relaxed, when there might be 70 top fuelers trying for a 32 car field. That would be great but it will never happen again.
There is no doubt those were some heady days and I thoroughly enjoyed them. And, if two drivers had a problem with each other, well, they settled it amongst themselves without fear of repercussion from sponsors and/or the suits at NHRA.
However, those were the days of 1/4 mile racing, dry hops and full track burnouts, jet cars, rocket cars and wheelstanders (remember some of Bob Perry's cars?). Why wouldn't anybody want to see those again as a standard part of the big show?

Larry are you building a NFC, hopefully a Trojan Horse tribute?

Pretty much, we are also collecting cars/parts to build and restore all of the family race cars and hot rods, which include My C/stock 1969 big block Mach1 that I ran in the early 80's up in Seattle , My Dads C/modified Production national record setting 57' Bel Air that he ran in 1963-65 when He was the tech director at Sacramento raceway when it opened, and the 50' ford coupe with the Ardin Hemi headed flathead Dad raced starting in 1955-57 at Kindon and Half Moon Bay. ofcourse All the Trojan Horse's and the Galpin Ford Boss 392 Maveric.

Trey will to be sporting a blown gas Front Motor dragste for His new ride.

Why do some people feel the need to come on here and tell others to quit posting if they don't like the current state of NHRA?
Are the people happy with NHRA the only ones allowed an opinion (and that's all it is) on the 'mater?
Nobody is suggesting a return to the '60s and '70s when the sport was more relaxed, when there might be 70 top fuelers trying for a 32 car field. That would be great but it will never happen again.
There is no doubt those were some heady days and I thoroughly enjoyed them. And, if two drivers had a problem with each other, well, they settled it amongst themselves without fear of repercussion from sponsors and/or the suits at NHRA.
However, those were the days of 1/4 mile racing, dry hops and full track burnouts, jet cars, rocket cars and wheelstanders (remember some of Bob Perry's cars?). Why wouldn't anybody want to see those again as a standard part of the big show?

Hell on Wheels Tank. I remember that

I was just reading this interview with Lee Beard from back in 2007.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Innerview - Lee Beard - 7/31/07

If you read far enough into the interview he states that with the teams not being able to run 90 percent nitro that the 85 percent nitro rule is actually increasing costs per car by $250,000 -$300,000 per year. That was back in 07!!

He is not the first crew chief who has said that if they were able to run more nitro it would save them money. Connie Kalitta has said the same thing.

I was just reading this interview with Lee Beard from back in 2007.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Innerview - Lee Beard - 7/31/07

If you read far enough into the interview he states that with the teams not being able to run 90 percent nitro that the 85 percent nitro rule is actually increasing costs per car by $250,000 -$300,000 per year. That was back in 07!!

He is not the first crew chief who has said that if they were able to run more nitro it would save them money. Connie Kalitta has said the same thing.

They were allowed to go to 90% several years ago and I'm sure thats what the majority are running. Its funny, I havent heard Lee or Connie say one word about all the cash they are saving since the switch. All I seen is there ability to drive the peices further into the ground !!:D

Ted, that is ALL I hear about out of some in here!:rolleyes:

They were allowed to go to 90% several years ago and I'm sure thats what the majority are running. Its funny, I havent heard Lee or Connie say one word about all the cash they are saving since the switch. All I seen is there ability to drive the peices further into the ground !!:D

They are back at 90%? I must have missed that or I just can't remember haha.

I read somewhere that Alan Johnson runs at about 87% and that it took some coaxing to get Connie to use 87% instead of 90%. Let me see if I can find the article about that...

I read somewhere that Alan Johnson runs at about 87% and that it took some coaxing to get Connie to use 87% instead of 90%. Let me see if I can find the article about that...

Found this article, but it says nothing about the convincing it took to get Kalitta to move to 87%:

Alan Johnson - Profiling The Best Drag Race Crew Chief Of Our Time - Hot Rod Magazine

Here is the article in which Oberhofer says Kalitta switched to a lower percentage (by 2% or so):

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/13537-kalitta-motorsports-a-necessary-reemergence

Guy--anyone is free to express their opinions on this forum. I have no problem with that. what i do question is why some people constantly tell us how horrible things have become and how they dont go to the races anymore how bad the tv show is how cookie cutter the drivers are etc etc ..... So why post on the forum?? If you are that fed up divorce yourself from the sport and leave the forum.

Post of the Week Nominee^

Asher is spot on. Talked with him briefly between rounds and he was so impressed by this event. He has seen it all, and just watching him smile and interact with everyone at the event was cool. Kid in a candy store comes to mind. The Norwalk event is so unique (but why) and its amazing how much "fun" it was. Spotted Antron Brown walking toward us in the staging lanes and asked him what he was doing here. He was very engaging and said he had heard so much about this event and he wanted to experience it for himself. His eyes were full of wonderment and he was truly excited to be here. His exact quote was "we need the NHRA suits to come to this event and learn something". As we were finishing up our conversation, Bill Bader Jr is coming up to talk with Antron, now this is minutes before the start of the event, and he shakes our hand, thanks us for coming, ask where we are from and apologizes for interrupting our conversation with AB and encourages us to finish our conversation. Mind you, we are in the staging lanes, just average fans that have followed the sport for 30 years, and two of the main people on the property treat us like we were important. Its time to put some "Fun" back on the National event side of things. I disagree with Jon on one thing, he says "we need to do this before it's too late", it might already be. Antron, Billy Jr, and Asher made this a great event and one I will always remember.

well lets see Barry and Joe I guess I will just post to meet ur requirements NHRA suits are so great I just hope one day I can grow up and follow in their footsteps,, NHRA drag racing is just f%&king great no changes need to be made,, the current show is so wonderful,,, I hope the current drivers are the only ones that can get seats and keep them,, we don't need any new drivers in the show,, hope this meets ur post expectations I am so sorry sayin anything negative about NHRA, hey guys ever thought that is why I quit racin TAD,, so I exercised my right not to race NHRA for now, damn imagine that:eek:

Reposted from my facebook page in response to the article....

1. Bring back 1/4 mile racing! FYI, I heard all the rumors about "how the insurance companies don't want it," well then why does the IHRA have no trouble doing it? A solution has been proposed to maybe bring it back to the tracks that are long enough, but as a nostalgia FC racer told me, how to you get track owners to agree on what's "long enough?"

2. Drivers these days are forced to be nothing more than sponsor-spewing robots who have to have a PR person standing with them at all times. What ever happened to "personalities?" Look, I'm not saying there should be fist-a-cuffs or hurling insults/profanities at each other but damn, it's like today's drivers are afraid that if they speak their mind they are going to get fined.... which they would by the idiot suits in Glendora. Sad. And before you reply with "Whit Bazemore" in your comment, there is a difference between speaking your mind and being a jerk.

3. Whenever I go to the Gatornationals I actually have a better time watching super stock than pro stock. WHY? Two reasons: wheels up launches and cars that actually.... look like the cars you can drive on the street. Please note that this is NOT a slight at the pro stock drivers, who are all very nice and are just doing what they are told to do (Can't fault them for that).

4. In the quest for the precious ET and MPH, as the article stated a lot of what drew me and I can presume many others to the sport has falling by the wayside. Almost no one does "throttle whacks" in the pits anymore. Burnouts these days are very short and not that "smokey." Funny cars and pro stockers are nothing more than wedges with decals. In edition, as the article eluded the runs are starting to look samey-samey, like you're watching the same runs with different decals on the cars.

5. It's nothing but the usual suspects these days winning races. Take the recent race in Minnesota. Spencer Massey is a cool dude, but how many people were rooting for Clay Millican to win? I can certainly bet that most people were rooting for Clay, me included! He's a cool cat who deserves to win a wally sooner rather than later.

6. Back to Pro Stock. I think it's time to introduce EFI, dammit! Teams worried about cheating? Take the NASCAR route and give all teams a spec ECU and then take them back once the race is over. Put anti-hacking measures on it that can detect if a team tried to crack it. How many years has it been since a street car came with carbs....??

7. Time to maybe think about slowing the cars down and coming up with a way to lower cost. There is no need for a team to spend many thousands on a part just so they can gain a few thousandths in ET. How many people in the stands can tell a 3.75 second run apart from a 3.90 second run? And if the sport ever goes back to 1/4 mile, I bet that many people will not be able to tell a 4.70 run from a 4.52 run. There are many other factors involved here that I will not go into, but when you have multiple sponsors leaving because the return on investment is so low, something is wrong.

8. Speaking of return on investment.... Let's start with the purses. 50 grand to win top fuel? That's pathetic! Meanwhile a professional bass fisherman gets 250 grand for catching a damn fish! Also.... can ESPN2 start the races on time?! I have to pretty much put an extra 90 minutes on my DVR because the races is always pre-empted by little league or women's tennis or whatever else was on before. Potential sponsors see this and I bet it has turned many of them off from giving money to a race team.

That's all I have to say. Sorry it was long, but I just needed to have my say on it.

b careful sam need to ask barry and joe if ur post is ok,,mite b to negative not allowed to post unless its positive about NHRA

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back