U.S. Airforce museum pics! (1 Viewer)

Great stuff Joe, that place is awesome, I've been a dozen times and I still get amazed every time.

Great pics Joe!!! I love the pics of the Valkyrie! Its a shame that the project never "took off" and the photo shoot crash was tragic!!! I need to make it up there to the museum sometime in the future. I used to travel to Toledo once a month and always put off renting a car and making it a day trip.:mad:

I can fill in a couple holes in your captions - among the aircraft in #5 is an NKC-135, the one with the hump on the fuselage. That's the Airborne Laser Lab test aircraft - there's now a 747 version flying that's an operational prototype.

Shot 12 is a B-25 Mitchell, the type of plane that flew in the Tokyo raid from the carrier Hornet in WW II.

Shot 15 is a De Havilland Mosquito, a British plane from WW II that was built from plywood and was the first stealth airplane - very effective airplane that was used, among other things, to drop CIA and British agents behind German lines in the years before D-Day.

Shot 18 is, appropriately, a B-18, the Boeing predecessor to the B-17 and B-29.

Can't help with the canvas airplanes - even I am not that old...at least I won't admit it.

More great stuff Joe... Saw the XB-70 at Edwards... in the air.... scout camp-out, want to say about 67.... maybe even 65/66.... my how time flys when you're having fun....

More great stuff Joe... Saw the XB-70 at Edwards... in the air.... scout camp-out, want to say about 67.... maybe even 65/66.... my how time flys when you're having fun....

One of the Volunteers at the Museum was stationed at Edwards when that plane flew. He said it Shook the Ground something firce when taking Off! What I wouldn't givce to experience that!:eek:

Very cool place! Thanks for sharing your pics. We've got the Spruce Goose and a SR-71 and many other planes not far from Portland at the Evergreen Air Museum. I haven't been back to see the SR-71 since it's been assembled. When I saw it it was still in many pieces and the engines were on maintenance stands. According to the museum it's the only one in a museum than was disassembled and assembled so that it could be put back into service if ever needed. :cool:

Larry-Not to disagree, but are you sure about #12? I thought it was an A-20 Havoc. #18, the B18, was that built by Martin? And I think #21 is a Curtiss Jenny, but I've never seen one from that angle, so I'm not sure.

Thanks guys, I sure wish they had a Japanese Zero somewhere. Does anybody know if one exists? And I am dissapointed that NO YB-49 Flywings are around anymore...:(

Jim - Good call on the A-20 - I thought it was a solid-nose B-25, but the cockpit is too narrow. Both airplanes had very flat sides and high-mounted wings.

Also you are correct on the B-18 - it was the Martin B-18, not a Boeing.

I don't think #21 is a Jenny - the Jenny had a fairly large, vertically mounted radiator right behind the propeller and the top wing was one continuous piece, not split. Here's a link to a good shot of a Jenny's front end:

Jenny

Last edited:
Jim - Good call on the A-20 - I thought it was a solid-nose B-25, but the cockpit is too narrow. Both airplanes had very flat sides and high-mounted wings.

Also you are correct on the B-18 - it was the Martin B-18, not a Boeing.

I don't think #21 is a Jenny - the Jenny had a fairly large, vertically mounted radiator right behind the propeller and the top wing was one continuous piece, not split. Here's a link to a good shot of a Jenny's front end:

Jenny

I've known several women named Jenny, but none of them had Radiators!:p

Larry-Not to disagree, but are you sure about #12? I thought it was an A-20 Havoc. #18, the B18, was that built by Martin? And I think #21 is a Curtiss Jenny, but I've never seen one from that angle, so I'm not sure.

Thanks Jim and Larry, I went and edited the names in.;)

Last edited:
Larry- You are correct, #21 is NOT a Jenny. I missed the radiator completely.
What do you think, I'm not sure. I thought maybe an old De Havilland (DH-4?).
I tried to find a picture of one last night, but couldn't. I think they were used as trainers about the same time as Jennys, that would account for the Air Corps (or was it Signal Corps?) markings. I think they used them in the first airmail service, because they were available cheap. But I never could come up with a picture.

Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back