Turbochargers, one more time... (2 Viewers)

Bob Cole said: "take away nitro and there is no reason to go to the races."

Really?????

Maybe you weren't around (as I was) to witness the "NO NITRO" period of NHRA racing that stretched from 1957 to 1963. Or, was it '64? About seven years, in any case.

NHRA had no alcohol cars during that period, as well as no nitro.

Was it boring? No.

Were the cars fast? Yes.

Were they as fast as the nitro cars? Almost.

It boiled down to twin-engine blown Hemis on GASOLINE, and if they'd had tires that could have handled the weight and torque, they probably WOULD have been as fast as the Fuelers.

I went to the "all gas" 1962 Indy Nationals and there were 1,200 cars in competition and standing room only spectators.

It was quarter-mile drag racing and as exciting as anything they have, today.

No nitro.

With the technology that exists, today, and the way NHRA has these Fuel motors throttled back with restrictive rules that limit their output (which is still awesome, I'll admit!) I think if they allowed some of Sonny Leonard's new 800cid alcohol-fired motors (which he builds Hemi heads for) with twin turbos or a BIG screw compressor, and stuck it in a "no silly rules" car that was somewhat lighter (shorter) and more aerodynamic than today's Top Fuel cars, it could go virtually as fast...maybe faster.

If it was a little slower, well, isn't that what NHRA's after, so they can return to quarter-mile racing?

It has been pointed out to me that:

1. No "thunder; no crowd." They came in droves in 1957-63... What's the difference?

2. The outrageous expense involved in changing these operations over to alcohol, buying new engines and new chasses would bankrupt most teams.

Maybe that's true... but for the ones that could ride it out for a couple of years, they'd be swimming in money from all the $$$$ they DIDN'T spend on Nitro, and parts attrition. Fuel motors eat parts for breakfast, lunch and dinner... motor parts AND drivetrain parts. And, nothing on a Fuel car is reasonably-priced. Alcohol is a lot more gentle on the components, including the drivetrain.

It all adds up.... FAST!

This will never happen, but I think it's do-able... in spite of its initial cost.

Then, there's the gearhead contingent who leave the stands when the Fuelers come up to race, because (like me), they came to watch Class Eliminations in Stock Eliminator, and the Eliminator, itself. Ditto Super Stock.

But, you have to actually KNOW something about the tech end of the cars, themselves, to enjoy watching a 340 Duster outrun a 350 Camaro in F/SA.... and I guess the number of people with that kind of esoteric knowledge has shrunk in the USA since 1962. Has it?????????????

Too bad; that's some of the most fascinating racing going on at National events, for those who have sufficient technical knowledge to generate an interest in it.

So don't ever think that "take away nitro and there is no reason to go to the races." is true for everybody. Nitro-powered cars make up only a small fraction of the cars running, today. Their noise (of which I am a HUGE fan!!!) draws people to the stands, yes, but like with a gorgeous, intelligent, sensual lady, there's a LOT to enjoy other than the obvious... To wit: The Sportsman cars are tons of fun, too, if one learns enough about them to know what one is watching.

As the bumper-sticker says.... "STOCKERS ARE WAY COOL!!!"

Last edited:
Charles French said, about turbocharging a nitro motor: " I feel its safe to say that it would eat through the compressor side of a turbo and these guys would have to be rebuilding them at X amount of runs."

Two questions, Charles:

1. How often do they service the Roots blowers that are on the Fuel cars, now, in national competition?

and,

2. Why couldn't the Fuel (nitro) be introduced into the intake airstream DOWNSTREAM from the compressor, so the compressor would only pump air? Spraying fuel into that column of air would cool it much like the Snowperformance Boost Cooler on the supercharged gasoline engine in my car. This cooler air reduces the chance of detonation in a gasoline engine by taking heat out of the compressed air. Wouldn't that work the same on a Fuel motor?

Just asking...

Thanks for any information!

Bill

William,

Thanks again for those links; I read them all.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... lol!

Bill

Someone posted a link here once, to a video about a little, nitro fueled turbo four-banger funny car. I wish I could remember more, it may have had a Nissan body or some other foreign make, but it was really cool. Maybe Norwood was the guy who built it? I may be butchering all the info, wish I could remember more, it was in the last couple of years I think, so maybe someone will remember it.

Someone posted a link here once, to a video about a little, nitro fueled turbo four-banger funny car. I wish I could remember more, it may have had a Nissan body or some other foreign make, but it was really cool. Maybe Norwood was the guy who built it? I may be butchering all the info, wish I could remember more, it was in the last couple of years I think, so maybe someone will remember it.

I saw that as well, it was totally electronically controlled, the Nitro% changed by computer from 40% to 80%. Sounded just like any other 4 banger though.

Good points, all, Nunzio... Sometimes I forget how old I am...

One of the reasons I got involved in this sport in 1955 (no typo... 1955) was that it was a blank sheet of paper; there were cars with airplane engines, big and little car motors, and various types of forced induction setups (remember the Latham axial-flow blowers??? Probably not...), and "HYDRAZINE-POWERED" CARS...

It was a potpourri of different approaches to covering the quarter mile as quickly as possible.

That's what I miss... The sport grew up and I never did...

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure you're right.

Doesn't mean I like it, but the way you laid it out, it makes all kinds of sense.

Bill

Hey, Bill - I wasn't around for those days of drag racing, but I do have every Hot Rod mag from '59 through '69 and have read each of them, so I know what you're saying. Sadly, drag racing has evolved far beyond those days. I have, however, found one place where that type of ingenuity still lives. You really should go to Bonneville for World of Speed or Speedweek. Judging by the passion of your posts, you would absolutely love it! The classes are structured with very little restriction: Displacement, Blown/Unblown, Fuel/Gas, Body type. That's it. Oh....and there's NO prize money!!! That's the key to purity.

Paul, you are right about Bonneville. I would love to go see that someday. Even Doug Herbert is building a car to shoot for 500mph. There is also still a good amount of variety in the Comp Eliminator class, which I have always loved because my dad raced A/A once upon a time. There's a guy running a turbo 4-banger Ecotec motor in a dragster that runs mid sixes! For some crazy new stuff, Pro Mod has wild machinery. The Agent over at DRO has some shots of new cars that are using turbos and big cubes. So if you look, there's still some pretty unique racecars being built out there.

Paul Merolla said: " I do have every Hot Rod mag from '59 through '69 and have read each of them."

Wow, Paul, that's quite an education, in itself!!!

I have never been to Bonneville, but would love to go some year. You're right; the variety of cars and powerplants on display there, is endless!

Maybe I'll make it, one of these days. Thanks for the good advice!

Bill

yeah drag racing was big time back in 1958. big sponsors, same day tv coverage every other week

how many people go to the division meets to see those alky funny cars?

yeah drag racing was big time back in 1958. big sponsors, same day tv coverage every other week

how many people go to the division meets to see those alky funny cars?

ME

Yes Bob, MONEY killed Drag Racing, TV is Killing Drag Racing... It Not Drag Racing Any More, It's a Bloody SHOW... Monster Truck 'Racing' out doors

d'kid

Bob Cole said: "take away nitro and there is no reason to go to the races."

Really?????
Bill,

People are going to like what they like. You can explain the complexities of every class involved in our sport and the reasons why you appreciate them all, but sometimes that just doesn't translate with some folks. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep offering your insight, but don't let it bother you when someone still thinks nitro drag racing is the only form of drag racing worth watching.

I hope all is well with you my friend!

Bob

Bob,

Are you going to be at the Points Race at Ennis?

Bill
Hi Bill,

I'll be in Vegas for the SummitRacing.com NHRA Nationals that weekend. My tentative schedule only has me in Texas twice this season - Dallas Raceway for an IHRA Summit ProAm in August and Ennis in October for the Div 4 ET Finals. My only Div 4 points race is Noble OK in October.

I'll be in Baton Rouge in a couple weeks for the IHRA National event. Maybe you can wander down that way.

Bob :)

Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply....

I probably won't make Baton Rouge. Been spending a lot of time with the Valiant on weekends and probably will be racing that weekend. I finally got her to the strip at Centerville for some definitive time slips.

I'd send you a copy on this message board but the Draconian size limits for jpgs on this website prevent that. Can't imagine why they're so restrictive.

I'll send you an email.

Bill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back