20lb fire system required (1 Viewer)

FEDowner

Nitro Member
Are you parking your car because you cant fit a 20lb fire system in it?
This is a RIDICULOUS rule. It used to be for an NE 1 car all you needed was a 5lb system.
Now: NHRA rule book page 277 Section 9.3 All front engine, open bodied supercharged or turbocharged (gasoline or methanol) cars must be equipped with an SFI rated 20 pound fire system.
You could probably fit a 10lb bottle but TWO of them? Let alone that system is close to $1000.
I'm all for safety but this obivisouly shows NHRA had no clue when they changed this rule. How about getting someone in there that knows these cars and review rules before they change them.

This rule is 100% bullcrap.

I run a NE/1 car, i can 'fit' another bottle on the car, however, my wallet doesn't have another bottle in it.

I have to move my accumulator, but room isn't a problem, the weight is, the money is, and the fact that NHRA is freakin CLUELESS when it comes to safety. They bow to the f'in lawyers, and don't give a CRAP about us and the financial hit this is.

Show me ONE car that 5 or 10#s wasn't enough on. You won't find one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Sorry, rant off......

Last edited:
That rule, and lack of the $1000, is the only reason Pinocchio didn't race at Bowling Green this year.

I overheard a conversation by a principal on a T/F car.
He said the tech guys did not even look at the new bottle or even in it's general area.
He was not happy.

If your refering to the Hot Rod Reunion from what I understood is they are'nt enforcing it until the March Meet. I saw LOTS of cars with 20lbers though.
Paul look me up at Vegas I'll be in the RV area last row closest to the gate.

i questioned a few guys, running N/TF and 7.0pro/NE1 with blown combos. i guess the july1 enforcement date was crap too. next year though...........

i'm ordering parts as i get the spare $

20# is as cool as 1000'

We took Brad Green's NTF car to Rooman's shop in Brownsburg last weekend for some chassis repairs and to move a BUNCH of stuff around in order to mount the second bottle. Brad took the weight bars off the nose to try and offset the added weight. A pain in the ass, but at least it's done.

Dale referred to this rules as the "Brendan Murry Rule" :D

We added the second bottle last winter when it was at Parks' getting some repairs done. It looks nice. I'll have to post some pictures. The first bottle was already mounted under the clutch pedal area. The second one got mounted the same way, but under the 'GO' pedal. I guess it would have been a bigger deal if we could actually get our junker to run. But, we're still fighting it, so we couldn't tell if the added weight made a difference or not. We also removed the old style Auto Meter computer from infront of the engine and installed the new style under the seat.

This is from the 2010 rulebook section 9:3:

When required, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol
Dragster, and Top Alcohol Funny Car, fire extinguishing system
must meet SFI Spec 17.1 and installed and utilized per
manufacturer’s installation requirements. All front-engine, openbodied
supercharged or turbocharged (gasoline or methanol) cars
running 7.49 seconds or quicker must be equipped with an SFIrated
20-pound fire system.

I guess someone was listening.
THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm waiting for Gruzen (over on ANRA) to weigh in on this one. He's in the know for this stuff.
I also wonder when the 2010 Nostalgia supplement will be out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back