Turbocharged 4-valve nitro engine (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I got to thinking about this after reading a post about turbocharged pro-mods.

Remember back when the engines specs weren't locked down? I remember a turbocharged 4-valve engine from sometime back in the eighties. Anyone else remember this? If so, do you remember who made the engine?

I got to thinking about this after reading a post about turbocharged pro-mods.

Remember back when the engines specs weren't locked down? I remember a turbocharged 4-valve engine from sometime back in the eighties. Anyone else remember this? If so, do you remember who made the engine?

Don't remember a turbo version, but here is some history on the McGee Quad Cam.
CLASSIC RACING ENGINES

Believe it was at Firebird where the team had a little problem and the engine came out of the chassis, bouncing along next to the car attached by fuel lines.
When the driver (don't remember who) was asked when he realized he was in trouble, the reply was "when the engine kept trying to pass me!" - :D

Don't remember a turbo version, but here is some history on the McGee Quad Cam.
CLASSIC RACING ENGINES

Believe it was at Firebird where the team had a little problem and the engine came out of the chassis, bouncing along next to the car attached by fuel lines.
When the driver (don't remember who) was asked when he realized he was in trouble, the reply was "when the engine kept trying to pass me!" - :D

Jim, you're right. I am remembering the McGee quad cam engine. The turbocharged engine was another beast altogether.

Sue Raednsom, Gary Beck, David Grubnic and I think even Robert Rheel did at one stage.
The McGee:

Bernstein (i.e Armstrong, tested it, I recall.)

It probably needed only a single exhaust valve.

Also Ed Pink dropped the reminder that it "Had to easy to work on."

An engineering masterpiece, nonethless.

And like the Arivett streamliner . . .politics.

Last edited:
Gale Banks and Ron Hodgson teamed up in the early-mid 80's on a twin turbo Top Fuel car. It used the standard Hemi as the engine with twins and a mechanical fuel system. The car never made it past testing, though. Too much power was the biggest problem. The clutch technology of the day wasn't enough to apply the power, the boost management of the day couldn't control the onset of power, and metallurgy of the day didn't keep driveline parts from failing. What fun an open rulebook and an open checkbook would be today...

mid to late 80`s i can remember a quad cam motor over here in the uk in a top fueler,and if my memory is correct "aussie dave" was over here setting it up

Gordie Bonin drove a Turbo FC back in the 70's or early 80's, not sure when. But they had nothing but problems with it, it either did a Huge Wheelstand, Boiled the Tires or exploded! Usually exploded!! I don't even know if they ever qualified with it!

Last edited:
The first McGee I remember seeing was Leland Kolb testing it at OCIR in 1974-1975. He kept a cover over the engine most of the time.....:cool:
'

Last edited:
The Shubeck looked like the original Cosworth Ford F-1 engine only on STEROIDS.

Seem like Joe contacted the Arivett Bros re: putting it in their streamliner for Drag racing (Tho it could've been the other way around). I think both sides discovered they had no money so nothing came of it.

The late Joe Zatmary, with Spider Razon, the drag racing Dead End Kids of the day, designed the motor -and the Milodon Hemi I recall.

He was, after Leo Goosen, the Miller, Novi, Sparks, Offenhauser designer, the LAST of the individual American Race engine drafters.

Sorry but I ment to post this aqhile back and got sidetracked.

We are currently developing a 32-valve BBC head that uses the standard cam location. Currently there are around 30 sets out there on the streets, but now we are working on a blown application for the strip (watch the video) Bang Shift : Event Coverage : Car Shows : Event Coverage: 4th Annual Burbank Charity Hot Rod and Race Car Show with Cacklefest Video

The best we have done with it on alcohol is an 8.04, but we are still sorting it out and are hoping to get an 7.60 at the CHRR. If no one raises an issue, we may really lean on it in the future. And, god willing, we test them in a N/TF somewhere down the line.;)

I know someone running the 24 hours of Lemons. It sounds like a blast.

As for turbo nitro combo, I know that it has been done with the unlimited VW dragster classes by more than one group.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back