Troxel's Wild Pro Mod Ride (2 Viewers)

In my post I asked "Did the chutes save this guy?"

I didn't say "The chutes obviously didn't save this guy," nor did I say "The chutes certainly saved this guy."

How about this one. It was up on two wheels:

YouTube great save

You did ask in your first post if the chutes saved the guy. The answer is no. Why? Because the chutes did not come out till after he wrecked... Kind of hard for the chutes to do much once you're in the wall backwards.

I don't get what you are trying to say in the next video? Are you saying the chutes did not help straighten that car out? Because it sure looks like to me they HELPED remedy a potential horrible situation.

I'm not saying parachutes will save your you know what everytime,but it seems in most cases they can do nothing but help if you pop them open quick enough. And that is just MY opinion.

And quickly back to topic. Would they of helped Melanie? Who knows?

I tell new drivers this all of the time. When you get out of shape so bad that you are fully lifting off the throttle, hit the chutes immediately, then drive the thing. Put them in a place where you can get to them real quick and easy. Short wheel base cars love parachutes. They pull you back straight when you get that over center. And if you save it without their help, just a little extra insurance then.

I was taught that once the car was in high gear (alcohol), to reach for the lever and "get ready" in case the car got out of hand, of course to pull the back end to "center" the car and straighten it out.

Was great advise.

REX

You did ask in your first post if the chutes saved the guy. The answer is no. Why? Because the chutes did not come out till after he wrecked... Kind of hard for the chutes to do much once you're in the wall backwards.

I don't get what you are trying to say in the next video? Are you saying the chutes did not help straighten that car out? Because it sure looks like to me they HELPED remedy a potential horrible situation.

I'm not "saying" anything. I posted a video to watch and draw your own conclusion, which you did. Quoting myself once again: "Did the chutes save this guy?"

In Melanie's case the chutes would not have helped. She shut it off before the 330' and at best the car was going 120 MPH. by the time it went on it's lid there would not have been enough air in them to pull the car hard enough to straighten it out.

Chutes at top speed for a pro mod (240-250) feels like a bungie jump off a bridge. At 120 MPH you barely feel a tug.

RG

Last edited:
I'm not "saying" anything. I posted a video to watch and draw your own conclusion, which you did. Quoting myself once again: "Did the chutes save this guy?"

In Melanie's case the chutes would not have helped. She shut it off before the 330' and at best the car was going 120 MPH. by the time it went on it's lid there would not have been enough air in them to pull the car hard enough to straighten it out.

Chutes at top speed for a pro mod (240-250) feels like a bungie jump off a bridge. At 120 MPH you barely feel a tug.

RG

You don't feel the pull of the chutes at 120 MPH???? I've heard that about 50-60 MPH, but not 120!

You don't feel the pull of the chutes at 120 MPH???? I've heard that about 50-60 MPH, but not 120!

I remember one time hitting the chutes while coasting at 140 miles per hour in my TA/FC and I just felt a minor tug. Pretty much a waste of time. It didn't seem like enough to straighten a car out but who knows. At 240 or more it's a totally different story. The Pro Mod's run the same chutes we do, which are the same chutes the TF and FC's run unless they are using the Strouds. And from what I've seen (ask Rick Jackson) the Stroud's don't work as well as the Taylor crossforms.

Last edited:
I remember one time hitting the chutes while coasting at 140 miles per hour in my TA/FC and I just felt a minor tug. Pretty much a waste of time. It didn't seem like enough to straighten a car out but who knows. At 240 or more it's a totally different story. The Pro Mod's run the same chutes we do, which are the same chutes the TF and FC's run unless they are using the Strouds. And from what I've seen (ask Rick Jackson) the Stroud's don't work as well as the Taylor crossforms.

The Strouds are those Tiny chutes right? Yeah they don't work too well.

I can say at 190 two chutes got my attention.

Not rip your head off stuff, but fairly hard.

yes, at 100 you barely notice they even came out, just a little drag on the car, like a tap on the brakes.

I only used one, since I was never over 194 anyway...........

Never hit 200:(

Oh well, life goes on............

REX

I can say at 190 two chutes got my attention.

Not rip your head off stuff, but fairly hard.

yes, at 100 you barely notice they even came out, just a little drag on the car, like a tap on the brakes.

I only used one, since I was never over 194 anyway...........

Never hit 200:(

Oh well, life goes on............

REX

Try hitting the chute's on the water at 194 mph or faster......that's loads of fun too!

Try hitting the chute's on the water at 194 mph or faster......that's loads of fun too!

Mike, when Charlie Fegan was driving Roger Way's Spirit of America at Puddingstone in like 92-93, he went through at 221 with NO Chutes!!! He worked the Rudder hard back and forth to scrub off speed! It worked, he just nudged the shore as the boat came to a stop. But...I didn't ask him what his Firesuit looked like after that!:eek::eek::eek:

Mike, when Charlie Fegan was driving Roger Way's Spirit of America at Puddingstone in like 92-93, he went through at 221 with NO Chutes!!! He worked the Rudder hard back and forth to scrub off speed! It worked, he just nudged the shore as the boat came to a stop. But...I didn't ask him what his Firesuit looked like after that!:eek::eek::eek:

Joe....Hee hhee... .....I remember that!
He got real lucky on that run and if he ruddered it anymore than he did...he might of looked like Melanie the other day.
Charlie got away with a lot back in his day. I'll bet he can still do it today!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back