Steve Gasperelli's Crash (1 Viewer)

Anyone notice that the chassis rolled(with body) then rolled 180 while the body stayed put (chassis upside down body right side up) bizarre how things happen.

Glad he was ok.

Anyone notice that the chassis rolled(with body) then rolled 180 while the body stayed put (chassis upside down body right side up) bizarre how things happen.

Glad he was ok.

I think the chassis rolling under the body was the ONLY thing that kept that car from going back to the starting line.

Glad EVERYONE was ok.

I think the chassis rolling under the body was the ONLY thing that kept that car from going back to the starting line.

Glad EVERYONE was ok.

He did hit the Fuel shutoff is what I heard, but it was the Body jamming the Throttle arm on the Blower that sent the Motor to Mach 10!

Well, four days late, and four (million) dollars short, here's my interpretation of Steve Gasparelli's incident at the NHRA Finals.

Steve Gasparelli incident - NHRAMike's Photos

WOW- Nice shots Mike....

Proof that ANYTHING can happen at a drag race, no matter what safety precautions are taken. Thank God the car didn't continue to spin clockwise when it was in front of Andy- that wheelie bar would have taken him out..

Andy Willsheer- B@ll$ of steel!!!

This pic really shows how close he was, and didn't move an inch!

DSC_0029.jpg

From Draglist.com

I'm curious how many photographer's have lost their lives trying to capture the Realism of that Close shot? I saw a photographer get killed at Manzanita speedway in Phoenix back around 82-83. This guy broke the fundamental rule of track photography, never turn your back to a race car! This racer blew a tire at over 100 MPH coming towards him, instead of watching which way the car was moving, he turned and ran. Got hit and knocked about 20' in the air like a Crash test dummie! Guy later died in the hospital.

I'm curious how many photographer's have lost their lives trying to capture the Realism of that Close shot? I saw a photographer get killed at Manzanita speedway in Phoenix back around 82-83. This guy broke the fundamental rule of track photography, never turn your back to a race car! This racer blew a tire at over 100 MPH coming towards him, instead of watching which way the car was moving, he turned and ran. Got hit and knocked about 20' in the air like a Crash test dummie! Guy later died in the hospital.

If I remember correctly an ABC Wide World of Sports camerman was killed at Indy many years ago when a blower hit him in the back while he panned the cars as they went by.

Randy, you are right. I was at Indy that year, it was '79 and the Silver Anniversary race, I spent many days there that year before starting college the following week. I am pretty sure, but could be wrong, that it was a TF car that had a ton of gold plating throughout (not the Greek). Pretty nasty deal. That year a bike racer, I'm thinking on a fuel bike, also lost his life when his front wheel parted ways with the front forks at speed. I remember seeing a photograph of the wheel leaving the bike in some magazine, it was chilling to look at.

Being in a similar profession, this situation scares me to death...This guy stuck around way too long to get these shots...In my eyes, his credentials should be stripped...He had way too much time to get out of harms way, instead staying put and snapping a few photos...SAFETY SHOULD ALWAYS BE FIRST!

But on the other hand, very nice shots!

l'm a good friend of Andy's, he's mad. l think his motto is "I DON'T MOVE," when l saw those photos l phoned Andy & told him next time he goes to a drag race he should wear body armour & a crash helmet.

When Ashley was racing her Alcohol Dragster at Gainesville. She was slowing down in the shutdown area, the weight bar came off the front axle & hit Andy "l don't move" Willsheer in the leg fracturing his Tibia & Fibula.

He was taken to hospital & underwent surgery to repair his leg. The same day John Force & Ashley visited Andy, Ashley apologised for what had happened.

John offered to fly Andy back to England in his private jet, Andy had to refuse as he had to return his rental car back to LA. He recuperated at Dean Papadeas's apartment in Daytona Beach.

If I remember correctly an ABC Wide World of Sports camerman was killed at Indy many years ago when a blower hit him in the back while he panned the cars as they went by.

I remember that one. It was at the 79 US Nationals when Frank Rupert's blower exploded, and the TF car crashed, also severely injuring his legs and ending his driving career. It was actually a Diamond P camera man, and after that was when you saw the finish line camera moved to being on scaffolding high up in the air.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back