Troxel's Wild Pro Mod Ride (1 Viewer)

eek6.gif
So glad she is ok!

If you are going to crash a pro mod, that's the way to do it. One easy roll on the roof, no barrel rolls or super hard wall slammers. Looks like it just needs a new body and maybe some front end repair.

I tell new drivers this all of the time. When you get out of shape so bad that you are fully lifting off the throttle, hit the chutes immediately, then drive the thing. Put them in a place where you can get to them real quick and easy. Short wheel base cars love parachutes. They pull you back straight when you get that over center. And if you save it without their help, just a little extra insurance then.

I tell new drivers this all of the time. When you get out of shape so bad that you are fully lifting off the throttle, hit the chutes immediately, then drive the thing. Put them in a place where you can get to them real quick and easy. Short wheel base cars love parachutes. They pull you back straight when you get that over center. And if you save it without their help, just a little extra insurance then.

I have never driven anything with anywhere near the power of a Pro Mod, but have always found that the advice my Dad gave me a long time ago when learning to drive will save you’re a$$ a LOT. If in a clutch equipped car, push the clutch in whenever it starts to get away from you. If in an auto equipped car, slot it into neutral if you can.

By neutralizing the drive line it takes any away engine braking and reduces torque/binding of the tires/axles and helps settle the car down.

This has helped save my a$$ many times, from tearing around in an old beater on my parents farm as a kid on dirt, on the drag strip and when I was a young dumba$$ on the street.

Looks like the steering ratio is too quick, glad she's ok.

I would think that they all run a similar ratio. I would think that its not the problem as you would want a quicker ratio on a short wheelbase car.

I think that was tremendous driving on Melanie's part! She almost saved it, and the car appears not to have been bent up at all.

I concur with the prior comments about getting the chute out! It does seem most drivers disregard this as a strategy for getting the car back? Possibly because they have their hands full with an out of control race car at the time!

Would be nice if they could get the chute out concurrent with fighting an out of control nitro car!

My constructive suggestion as an expert keyboard crewchief!

-90% Jimmy

So now when Mel pops the chute to regain control I can take complete credit for it! I amaze myself!

:D -90% Jimmy

I would think that they all run a similar ratio. I would think that its not the problem as you would want a quicker ratio on a short wheelbase car.
The ratio was probably just right for the driver that the car was built for, but looks too quick for Melanie.

Also, steering reacts quicker on shorter wheelbase car. My car is a 125 inch wheelbase car and I have seen various steering ratios used for around same wheelbase, all to suit the driver.

Damn, so close to saving that thing about 3 times. At least she's OK and the car can be fixed.

Thanks for the link to the video.

Looked like that thing had a really peaky tune up and when she shifted, the motor loaded down real nice and then blew the tires loose before she could figure out what just happened......:eek:
It looked like she was going right down the groove.

glad she's o.k.!!
definitely a wild ride.

I just got the opportunity to watch the video and I have to say she did a good lob keeping the car in the middle of her lane. I've said that before when watching her drive top fuel dragsters. The back of the dragster could be all over the place but the front end and nose always stays in the middle of the groove for her.

She must use a lot of WD-40 on her elbows and wrists in climbing in to whatever it is she's driving. One piece of advice I've given to new people that have driven my TA/FC is that the worst thing you can do is bury your elbows in to your lap. You need to keep the elbows up as well as your chin which helps you react faster than driving like your sitting in a Lazy-Boy.

I've seen many crashes where the car impacts the wall and the wheels were never turned. Not Melanie. She is a very talented driver.

RG

Really???...So in essense you are right,the chutes CANNOT save you once you've spun out and crossed into the other lane. Kind of hard for them to save you once you've ALREADY crashed.

In my post I asked "Did the chutes save this guy?"

I didn't say "The chutes obviously didn't save this guy," nor did I say "The chutes certainly saved this guy."

How about this one. It was up on two wheels:

YouTube great save

Last edited:
Columbus '03 ... the track was like a skating rink for the pro stockers ... 2 of them got upside down including Jason Line ... then Jeggie got it WAY sideways and hung out the laundry ... straightened her right back out.

Reason #26,782 Jeggie is the man.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back