Erica's Big Fire (1 Viewer)

I wonder if she will make Elims tomorrow. That car is really fast, just needs some ET. I think when they get the combination worked out, this car will be a killer.

I wonder if she will make Elims tomorrow. That car is really fast, just needs some ET. I think when they get the combination worked out, this car will be a killer.
That cars toast for a few weeks. I bet they will put a new nose on it.

That was a wild ride. Erica did a great job keeping the car off the wall and getting it stopped so the Safety Safari could get to her as quickly as possible.
And, once again, the Safety Safari proved they are the absolute best at what they do.
Just curious, are Pro Mod cars required to use any kind of fire suppression system?

That was a wild ride. Erica did a great job keeping the car off the wall and getting it stopped so the Safety Safari could get to her as quickly as possible.
And, once again, the Safety Safari proved they are the absolute best at what they do.
Just curious, are Pro Mod cars required to use any kind of fire suppression system?
Per NHRA rulebook, Pro Mod (Section 6 pg. 9):

Minimum 20-pound NHRA-accepted fire extinguishing system
mandatory. System must be divided so that a minimum of
15 pounds is directed into engine compartment by means of
nozzled outlets placed in front of each bank of exhaust headers.
Remaining 5 pounds or more should be dispersed in driver
compartment by means of an atomizing nozzle placed at driver’s
feet.

Per NHRA rulebook, Pro Mod (Section 6 pg. 9):

Minimum 20-pound NHRA-accepted fire extinguishing system
mandatory. System must be divided so that a minimum of
15 pounds is directed into engine compartment by means of
nozzled outlets placed in front of each bank of exhaust headers.
Remaining 5 pounds or more should be dispersed in driver
compartment by means of an atomizing nozzle placed at driver’s
feet.

Thank you much David.

Erica said she was trying to hit the extinguishers. She didn't say that they went off. I gather she had some problems getting out of the car. Arghhhhhh One thing, the fire suits are way better now than years ago. She said her back was burning and that reminded me of Don Prudhomme at OCIR. He blew up the engine, nasty fire and when Safety Safari got there, he had them spray his back with coolant, same as Erica. Glad Erica didn't get burned.

Erica said she was trying to hit the extinguishers. She didn't say that they went off. I gather she had some problems getting out of the car. Arghhhhhh One thing, the fire suits are way better now than years ago. She said her back was burning and that reminded me of Don Prudhomme at OCIR. He blew up the engine, nasty fire and when Safety Safari got there, he had them spray his back with coolant, same as Erica. Glad Erica didn't get burned.
That also reminded me of the fire Prudohmme had.

She mentions trying to pull the fire bottle pin in her interview. You'd think they'd have those set to go off with an easy to hit button or lever?

She mentions trying to pull the fire bottle pin in her interview. You'd think they'd have those set to go off with an easy to hit button or lever?
Due to the expense and mess, most fire systems have quick release pins, but they are not mandatory.
Prudhomme didnt have the fire in ‘89, it was Don Gay Jr.

2 things came to my mind just for the sake of conversation. A fresh air system, and the fire resistant coating required for TA/FC and AA/FC on the underside of the bodies.

Erica said the major fire was caused by the main fuel line being cut. They are going to install an auto shutoff on the line

This is the Don Prudhomme fire we're talking about. OCIR 1981. The Don Gay Jr fire was at Denver & put a end to his nitro career. You can see Snake telling Safety Safari to put the hose on him. His back felt burning, like Erica.

This is the Don Gay fire. This is Steve Evans reporting on the fire. Video is 4:23 long and sums up the fire. There are 2 other videos from the program from Rescue 911 that I found on the same page as this video. Those are around 14 minutes and give a lot more insight. This was one scary fire! Don Gay Jr is alive because it wasn't his time to go.

This is the Don Prudhomme fire we're talking about. OCIR 1981. The Don Gay Jr fire was at Denver & put a end to his nitro career. You can see Snake telling Safety Safari to put the hose on him. His back felt burning, like Erica.
my bad...my brain went in 1 direction :-(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back