track grooming machine (1 Viewer)

big guy

Nitro Member
Does anybody know what the machine with slicks and a chevy motor to put rubber on the track is called?

Does anybody know what the machine with slicks and a chevy motor to put rubber on the track is called?
Super Comp... Also been known as the asphalt or concrete zamboni. It has been evolved through the years. I believe larry crispe at bandimere came up with the rolling slicks version that is used at many tracks.

The Zamboni is a vacuum cleaner and scrubber.The rolling slick macgine is what I am looking for.What is it called , who makes it?

"The Equalizer" ?? :D That thing has to be custom-engineered & fabricated by somebody. I bet Compton & Light have a showroom somewhere, full of these shiny new machines....

I know the machine that you're talking about. I don't know that it has a name. I believe it was designed and the engineering was done by GM Racing, and it was built by Penhall Corp. I could be wrong. If you don't have an answer by the time I get to Atlanta, I will find out for sure.

Alan

I believe larry crispe at bandimere came up with the rolling slicks version that is used at many tracks.
As far as I know, that machine is one of a kind. I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. Other tracks use strips of old slicks dragged behind a tractor and pressed down on the racing surface. ...then there was Scribner. They tied a big old tractor tire to the back of a pickup truck and drug it up and down the track.

According to Foster it is known as "The Tire Machine" I have never heard it called anything else so maybe that's the only name it's got.

Alan

I don't know who first thought up the idea behind this machine, but I was approached by Roger Stull several years ago about it. I believe that Roger & the folks at Penhall did all (most?) of the design & engineering. The part that GM Racing had was to furnish a GM Performance Parts small block crate motor to provide the power, which we did.

Fred Simmonds

Actually,a Zamboni is an ice resurfacing machine used in arenas. The guy's name who invented it was Zamboni. true story.

Exactly. See Welcome to Zamboni®. Frank Zamboni invented it in the 40's. It was such a miracle machine that people now refer to any self-propelled machine that maintains a flat surface as a "Zamboni". But there's only one Zamboni, and it's for ice.

I believe the scrubber-sweepers NHRA uses are from Tennant, but I could be wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back