Track surface profile machine (1 Viewer)

If a team wants to profile a track to find out the bumps and dips then I suppose that is up to them . I was only trying to provide information that I am aware of. Thank you Roger

The question was what is a profilograph and how is it used? I tried to explain the use of one on a drag strip in order for a grinding company to know where to grind. The same process is used in most states after the pavement is laid to meet whatever specs that state has as to the flatness required for final inspection to be approved. A profilograph isn't used on a race track for the benefit necessarily for the competitors,but for the grinding contractor to enable them to know what area needs to be ground.As far as how crew chiefs adjust to bumps and dips they will have to explain that. I can only discuss the why to profile not how to adapt it to making a good run .

Roger, I appreciate the information, I think its an excellent tool before resurfacing a drag strip, they have used it in Nascar as well. As far as tuning I think crew chiefs would benefit by knowing where the bumps are, at least until they grind and correct the pavement. Again thanks for the information.

Well my point was that everyone complains that the sport is too expensive, yet the top team builds this devise that they haul around from race to race and it only benefits their team. So now what, all of the other teams have to build something similar and haul it around? NHRA should provide this data to all.

Lance, I don't know if it's that much of an advantage. There are some days where I could see it would be, but then there are some days where I feel that stuff is over-analysis/overrated.

If I need info about the track we are going to race on, I have channels I can explore to find out what I need to know.

Several weeks ago on a NHRA telecast Mike Dunn etc. talked about a track profile machine that is towed down each lane and produces a graph of the dips and hills in the racing surface.
My question is what team is using or was this an NHRA piece of equipment.
If just a team has this, is the information shared??
seems like a very valuable bit of info for tuning a car.
The machine itself is very simple. A sensor on each of 4 wheels. The frame should have an adjustable wheel base for car type.
There is a sensor on a wheel for distance and a Satellite G.P.S. sensor in the middle for surface deviation. Tuners can do a lot of clutch, timing and fuel management manipulations with that info.

Maybe for a lawn mower.

yup.....here's an optimal NITRO engine plug after 44 amps was run through it

nitro plug.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back